IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

11 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

Yes. Aside from Level 2-1, which levels are "ready" to be tested? 

only Level 1 with its 8 stages....in stage 8 there is the mini boss at the end and Level 2 stage 1....i put

Big Boss at the end.....normally,he will not appear

soo early.

But till now,i got only one silly comment and the 

small number of downloads,shows that there is no

interest in such a project ?

And it would be a damn heavy work,to build a reasonable JumpnRun....with dozens hours of work.

Edited by gambler172

6 hours ago, Giles N said:

@Jaden (JRH) and @gambler172: perhaps the two of you could cooperate and «compare notes»

as to how the Bentley-Engine is best worked to get best graphical output/graphical settings!

Lets co-operate!

I have another idea...let Jaden show,what he can.....

he may use my actual version and can do what he

wants.......he is soo good,he does not need me.

For sure,he can do a complete new area from the scratch.

Side by side comparisons attached. 

TIX/Jaden sprites on left, Gambler version on right. 

I feel like we should be using TIX sprites for everything. Especially if down the line we are able to add more frames of animation. @gambler172, I totally understand where you're coming from as far as the "many hours of work" it would take to build a great "Jump&Run" game, but I feel like that's the point. I'd rather invest the time to build backgrounds for more of an actual "port" version of PacLand, because if it's designed and built to the 7800's FULL capabilities, PacLand could potentially be one of the very best platformers on the system. It could be a real showcase of the ProSystem's power, both artistically and gameplay wise. PacLand is almost the perfect title to build a great version within the abilities of the 7800. 

Could we do a "passable" game using the existing parameters? Yes. But I'd rather invest time and energy into pushing the system and doing the very best game possible! Right now, it's playing as an almost identical version of Bentley, with swapped out sprites. 

Down the line, it may be possible to get the editor tweaked to fit PacLand, to make it a more unique experience, apart from Bentley. Reverse scrolling, added frames of animation, increased sprite width, and more changes are all possible....which would make testing the current version of the game a bit irrelevant bc everything would shift with these sorts of changes. 

Just my two cents. 

Spooky_side to side.jpg

PacMan_side-by-side.jpg

Blinky_side-by-side.jpg

Pogo Ghost_side-by-side.jpg

Ghost in Car_side-by-side.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 2:15 AM, MrBeefy said:

Ha! Is the 7800 going to be home to every Pac-Man game? 

Probably not worth much but I like the recent sprite too.

Just for info.....This is NOT the original Pacland.

It is a Pacland fangame in style of Bentley.....NOTHING more....play it...like it....or not.I just played the original Pacland and i think,it

is a bad game....too heavy...no fun at all.

So again......here is NO original Pacland ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, aaron1677 said:

Side by side comparisons attached. 

TIX/Jaden sprites on left, Gambler version on right. 

I feel like we should be using TIX sprites for everything. Especially if down the line we are able to add more frames of animation. @gambler172, I totally understand where you're coming from as far as the "many hours of work" it would take to build a great "Jump&Run" game, but I feel like that's the point. I'd rather invest the time to build backgrounds for more of an actual "port" version of PacLand, because if it's designed and built to the 7800's FULL capabilities, PacLand could potentially be one of the very best platformers on the system. It could be a real showcase of the ProSystem's power, both artistically and gameplay wise. PacLand is almost the perfect title to build a great version within the abilities of the 7800. 

Could we do a "passable" game using the existing parameters? Yes. But I'd rather invest time and energy into pushing the system and doing the very best game possible! Right now, it's playing as an almost identical version of Bentley, with swapped out sprites. 

Down the line, it may be possible to get the editor tweaked to fit PacLand, to make it a more unique experience, apart from Bentley. Reverse scrolling, added frames of animation, increased sprite width, and more changes are all possible....which would make testing the current version of the game a bit irrelevant bc everything would shift with these sorts of changes. 

Just my two cents. 

Spooky_side to side.jpg

PacMan_side-by-side.jpg

Blinky_side-by-side.jpg

Pogo Ghost_side-by-side.jpg

Ghost in Car_side-by-side.jpg

One last time....Bob did not create the editor...the editor cannot be changed....either Jaden uses it or not....You can play with SCROLLING...ok......but why do you guys want original Pacland....this could be done,from the scratch...without emulator....and for sure NOT by me.

Changing colours of the enemies is possible.....i am 

tired of telling the whole thing again and again.....

and cause Giles started the topic....i want to have

some of his enemies in the game too.But i give up 

and let Jaden do,what he wants.....

Edited by gambler172

1) we can switch tile-set by having a warp-zone at the church at the end of each stage,

2) warping from

a) town, to

b) desert, to

c) mountain, to 

d) forest, to 

e) castle

3) we drop the return run from right to left,

4) we use TIXs sprites

5) @Jaden (JRH) takes over for a time , and we can see where he takes it, while @gambler172 is welcome back whenever hes motivated (or to continue for that matter).

6) yes, we have to live with 2 frames, but TIX did a good job,

7) we try to teach each other what works well and what doesn’t work well,

8 ) if anyone gets in contact with a 7800 programmer, ask the one if the person is willing to have a look at the Bentley Engine

9) we use the hat-thing much more than once per level, 

Ok, that was some thoughts.

Please give feedback.

Putting together a game is of course a lot of work.

If you people are tired; take a break-time!

Feel free to come back if motivation should happen to be there, or if the ideas above make sense.

I anyhow want to really thank @gambler172 for having thrown himself into the work, and having already done a lot of necessary trial and error, and spent his time on this project!

From my part its appreciated, and I’d be nowhere without @gambler172s level-design work!!

A big thank you to @gambler172!!!

Edited by Giles N

15 hours ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

This thread is a mess.

I’m not unsurprised you put it that way, but lets remember we are not professionals, but particulary interested homebrewers.

I appreciate all the input!

Lets calm down and remember that alpha or beta-versions are not ‘given to the public’ before 70-80% of the work is already done...

I appreciate your input @Jaden (JRH) and would love to see you do a level-setup!! ?

And... I do appreciate your comparison-pictures; you accentuate graphics-quality, gambler172 accentuates gameplay...

I really appreciate @gambler172s level-setups, but as for public/user-interest, its far, far too early in developement to generate ‘high interest’. Much, much more must be done, I mean like 70-80% finished before lots of people will do downloads and do trial-gaming...

I hear this thread is a mess: actually I want to learn what can make a better/higher quality thread, but this thread was originally only about opening to a conceptual idea about a possible new homebrew...

I do believe we all have gotten more experience, for whatever thats worth...  

All good to you all!

Edited by Giles N