IGNORED

Idea for homebrew title that 7800-homebrew dev. may consider to produce: Pac Land 1984

Giles N

If you @Jaden (JRH) could work on the color-codes, it would be wonderful!, if you @gambler172 could continue on level-design, it would be wonderful, if you @aaron1677 could redraw the houses as buildable tiles with roof-color to fill in the windows, it would be wonderful; and perhaps  -   this thread would be less mess and more deliberate design...

Edited by Giles N

On 4/18/2020 at 10:19 PM, Jaden (JRH) said:

This thread is a mess.

On 4/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, Giles N said:

On 4/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, Giles N said:

On 4/19/2020 at 1:31 PM, Giles N said:

On 4/19/2020 at 1:49 PM, Giles N said:

On 4/19/2020 at 2:14 PM, Giles N said:

???????????????????⚔️????❤️❤️❤️❤️

I'm not trying to be too critical, but I just stopped by to see how this was going and saw an awful lot of -- I'm not sure what to call it -- so I thought I'd throw out some constructive feedback.  Feel free to take it or leave it.

@Giles N You can reduce a lot of the clutter by editing your posts instead of posting again after a few minutes.  All the above posts were made within an hour.  I'm not sure if the editing limit is 30 minutes or 60, but the above posts could have been combined into as little as 1 (60 mins) or as many as 3 (30 mins) -- also, that's a lot of emojis.

Please don't take this as an insult.  It just looks like some might be getting a little frustrated and I'd hate to see your project fall apart from anyone getting burned out.  Stuff takes time and ppl can go days or even weeks without being able to work on something, so posting so rapidly can seem pushy and turn a person off.  I speak for myself a bit here: I can go months without time to work on something.  I don't currently have time for much, so I just check in often to see what's going on and occasionally make a short post.  I still have projects that are multiple years old that I plan to get back to at some point (one of them is approaching a decade... wait, a decade?... geez that seems like yesterday).  I'm not saying this project should take years, but it probably should take months, realistically.

I haven't used the editor, but I would assume it is for designing level layouts, meaning you are constrained to the sprite count and dimensions for what's in the Bentley game.  Walter won't be able to work any miracles with this, he's just able to do what's essentially a graphics edit while arranging the layouts to make levels that are within the constraints of the original Bentley game.  This still gives a lot of options and promise, but it's going to play like Bentley which is not a bad thing.

edit: Just noticed your edit above.  Maybe I'm a little late on the advice.  :lol: 

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

This still gives a lot of options and promise, but it's going to play like Bentley which is not a bad thing.

Ya, this is Bentley Bear with some sprite hacks and a respectable effort to try and edit in some new level layouts. The idea and efforts are coming from a good place but it's nothing like (nor can it become) the Pacland game it's wants to be. It would need WAY more work than what is possible from the angles this hack is being worked on from if it was ever to make it into something recognizable as Pacland and not just Bentley Bear with Pac sprites & level edits.  That isn't said to be a party pooper in any way, it's just the reality of the situation and the limitations of what can come of these (great) efforts.

If this was to become Pacland it would need need new code and perhaps just use some of the Bentley base for direction. There is programming needed at a level which seems out of the reach of any of these fine gentlemen who are participating in working on this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

I'm not trying to be too critical, but I just stopped by to see how this was going and saw an awful lot of -- I'm not sure what to call it -- so I thought I'd throw out some constructive feedback.  Feel free to take it or leave it.

@Giles N You can reduce a lot of the clutter by editing your posts instead of posting again after a few minutes.  All the above posts were made within an hour.  I'm not sure if the editing limit is 30 minutes or 60, but the above posts could have been combined into as little as 1 (60 mins) or as many as 3 (30 mins) -- also, that's a lot of emojis.

Please don't take this as an insult.  It just looks like some might be getting a little frustrated and I'd hate to see your project fall apart from anyone getting burned out.  Stuff takes time and ppl can go days or even weeks without being able to work on something, so posting so rapidly can seem pushy and turn a person off.  I speak for myself a bit here: I can go months without time to work on something.  I don't currently have time for much, so I just check in often to see what's going on and occasionally make a short post.  I still have projects that are multiple years old that I plan to get back to at some point (one of them is approaching a decade... wait, a decade?... geez that seems like yesterday).  I'm not saying this project should take years, but it probably should take months, realistically.

I haven't used the editor, but I would assume it is for designing level layouts, meaning you are constrained to the sprite count and dimensions for what's in the Bentley game.  Walter won't be able to work any miracles with this, he's just able to do what's essentially a graphics edit while arranging the layouts to make levels that are within the constraints of the original Bentley game.  This still gives a lot of options and promise, but it's going to play like Bentley which is not a bad thing.

edit: Just noticed your edit above.  Maybe I'm a little late on the advice.  :lol: 

I’ll try to take advice; remember I’ve only been around at AtariAge since last summer; much to learn, and the work these people have put into this, is really appreciated (including creative ways of using the Bentley Engine);  they have have done lot’s and lot’s already!

Whether they want to go on, or wait for a programmer is totally up to them...

Edited by Giles N

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Ya, this is Bentley Bear with some sprite hacks and a respectable effort to try and edit in some new level layouts. The idea and efforts are coming from a good place but it's nothing like (nor can it become) the Pacland game it's wants to be. It would need WAY more work than what is possible from the angles this hack is being worked on from if it was ever to make it into something recognizable as Pacland and not just Bentley Bear with Pac sprites & level edits.  That isn't said to be a party pooper in any way, it's just the reality of the situation and the limitations of what can come of these (great) efforts.

If this was to become Pacland it would need need new code and perhaps just use some of the Bentley base for direction. There is programming needed at a level which seems out of the reach of any of these fine gentlemen who are participating in working on this.

In many ways, you’re right... The Bentley Bear Engine is made to produce ... Bentley Bear... which is really cool... but ... has its limitations... I’m no programmer, and a programmer could be needed here...

I will, however give credit to all who have contributed, for the work-time and effort invested!

I appreciate it, and hope it can be for experience!

3 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

he's just able to do what's essentially a graphics edit while arranging the layouts to make levels that are within the constraints of the original Bentley game. 

This still gives a lot of

options

and promise,

but it's going to play like Bentley which

is not a bad thing.

Your advice taken!!

Just a lot to (re-)learn...

Edited by Giles N

7 hours ago, Giles N said:

Your advice taken!!

Just a lot to (re-)learn...

Kevin said the same,what i always said.And yes,Bentley is a great game....much better than

Pacland.A Jumpnrun with Pacland graphics is still

possible.However it will take a lot of work.

Well,i wanna see,what Jaden has to show....?

Seems he is really good... 

so i watch the whole thing from the background.

21 hours ago, Giles N said:

It could become a completely independent game - using Pac-inspired elements; PAC WORLD...

(4 Worlds with 8 stages)...

So let us see,what Jason has in mind ?

i am waiting for an update.

Come on Jason....show,what you can

Edited by gambler172

22 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Hi Guys

if anybody....maybe Jason continues working on this.

Some things should be cleared....is it ok for Giles,

Tix and Aaron,that there sprites and tiles can be used in a Pacland...or Pacworld game....a game designer should have clearance about this.

Defintely ok for me (at least).

Not that I have all the world of experience with homebrewing (like 25 years since I did stuff akin to this), but from those experiences, it was many, many rounds of trial and error and game-testing and fine-tuning and changing elements, dropping elements or adding elements.

Hey man,

Of course you can use my work so far,

I consider everything I post, free for all to use (unaltered, that's my only condition !).

I'm very busy with other projects, so I wont be able to contribute more staff.

Good luck with your project, I'll keep an eye here from time to time  ;)

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aaron1677 said:

Hey Gambler,

Yep, I feel the same as TIX - you're welcome to use the background houses I created. I'm also working on something else, but am on here often and wish you good luck with the project! ?

Hi Aaron

well...i think about Jaden...he talked to be the One

who continues????

But until now......only one stupid comment.....

I do not need to continue this,if he does.....

So let us wait,what he says.....

@Jaden (JRH); would you like to give a ‘PACWORLD’ with 4 x 8 stages, in the style of PacLand - but still completely unique and completely original  - a solid go, getting into novel level-design, enemy-set-ups and world-lay-out and all that...?

Edited by Giles N

On 4/29/2020 at 9:51 PM, TIX said:

Hey man,

Of course you can use my work so far,

I consider everything I post, free for all to use (unaltered, that's my only condition !).

I'm very busy with other projects, so I wont be able to contribute more staff.

Good luck with your project, I'll keep an eye here from time to time  ;)

Fantastic spirit/attitude; great & thanks!!

On 4/30/2020 at 7:01 PM, aaron1677 said:

Hey Gambler,

Yep, I feel the same as TIX - you're welcome to use the background houses I created. I'm also working on something else, but am on here often and wish you good luck with the project! ?

Very good! Great!! 

A Pac-platformer-game, (using 4 worlds of 8 stages each, with 2-frame-sprites) could become: PAC-WORLD - a unique 7800 Pac-fandomime-inspired game!!

• 3 weeks later...