IGNORED

PlusCart (an inexpensive DIY WiFi multicart)

Al_Nafuur

1 hour ago, spspspsp said:

I just built three PlusCarts (because of PCB minimum order requirements) logged on with them yesterday/today (Tokyo). At first when I saw this thread the idea of adding wi-fi to my Atari didn't appeal to me, but the more I thought about it, the more useful and interesting it seemed. I plan to keep one and gift one to my uncle, but I need to work out how to case them first.

http://pluscart.firmaplus.de/pico/?Encasing

and for labeling:

I ordered the ST chip and the wi-fi module from AliExpress, and used your PCB files to have some made. Assembly was easy, but I was confused about the boot0 and boot1 jumpers. The flashing instructions say to that "the boot0 jumper has to be removed (and boot1 has to be short!)", but the assembly instructions only mention boot1.

Is boot1 always to be shorted? What happens is boot1 is open? I plugged in a cart with boot0 shorted and boot1 open and it seemed to run fine. 

Flashing worked fine with boot0 open and boot1 shorted.

For flashing boot0 has to be open and boot1 short. For booting from internal flash (PlusCart firmware) boot0 has to be short and boot1 doesn't matter.

The STM32 has two boot jumper, because booting from an external device (e.g. ROM, flash) is also possible. 

Pitfall has been modified for the PlusCart High Score Club. The ASM code can be found in Gitlab.

PlusCart user/tester can find the PAL and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club"

The NTSC version can be played online in javatari.js.

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for Pitfall:

https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=8

Thanks to @Thomas Jentzsch for his disassembly and for his patience with my stupid questions ?

4 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

TY. I'm not sure about Sokoboo Plus - will have to review. But the game should be fully playable and complete. I'm just waiting (over a year now!) for the musician to do his stuff. Maybe it's time to move on.  I think Sokoboo Plus may have been a testbed for the high score system - the levels in "the real thing" actually load in sequential order.  And the start position is not random, so there's no way you could have been put in a position where the puzzle could not be completed.  Often, it can appear thus... and there's only one way to do it.  What level was it?

Hmm, it could very well be me misremembering things. I was in a level that resembles one of the smaller earlier levels, then. I can try and give you the level I thought I was on later. When I went to reset the stage, I was also sent to a different stage, so I didn't get to see it again either.

Just now, spspspsp said:

Hmm, it could very well be me misremembering things. I was in a level that resembles one of the smaller earlier levels, then. I can try and give you the level I thought I was on later. When I went to reset the stage, I was also sent to a different stage, so I didn't get to see it again either.

It's supposed to allow you to press SELECT during a game, and then you can choose any level you like.

You should see it again when you played all the levels from the Database ?
However some of the level definitions in the DB are identical. So maybe you will see a identical (with different Id) again earlier..

Edited by Al_Nafuur

16 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

It's supposed to allow you to press SELECT during a game, and then you can choose any level you like.

I was 100% incorrect when I said a level was unsolveable. Just played again, found the level, and saw where I got confused.

However, in Sokoboo Plus, the select and reset functions are effectively random. Selecting or resetting level 001, for example, loads a different level for me each time.

19 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

For flashing boot0 has to be open and boot1 short. For booting from internal flash (PlusCart firmware) boot0 has to be short and boot1 doesn't matter.

The STM32 has two boot jumper, because booting from an external device (e.g. ROM, flash) is also possible. 

The Assembly page currently says "BOOT1 on the STM32F407VGT6 breakout board has to be always short". If this is not actually the case (boot1 is only shorted when physically flashing the firmware), then it may be best to remove the pictures showing the solder bridge from this page. It will likely cause problems. Perhaps the Assembly page should be amended to remove mention of boot1, and say to put a jumper on boot0 instead (after the chip has been flashed).

The Assembly page currently says "BOOT1 on the STM32F407VGT6 breakout board has to be always short". If this is not actually the case (boot1 is only shorted when physically flashing the firmware), then it may be best to remove the pictures showing the solder bridge from this page. It will likely cause problems. Perhaps the Assembly page should be amended to remove mention of boot1, and say to put a jumper on boot0 instead (after the chip has been flashed).

I think the point is, to program via USB you need to short "boot1".  But when booting the PlusCart firmware you need to short "boot0".  Since in the booting case, the state of "boot1" doesn't matter -- you can simply solder it short as shown, and you're simplifying usage.  Put a jumper on boot0 to run/play. Remove it to program. Ignore boot1, which is soldered short as directed. I think the instructions are correct.

I was 100% incorrect when I said a level was unsolveable. Just played again, found the level, and saw where I got confused.

Thanks for the update. It's a great puzzle game insofar as you would almost bet your life a level is not solveable... and then you see it.

However, in Sokoboo Plus, the select and reset functions are effectively random. Selecting or resetting level 001, for example, loads a different level for me each time.

OK, well that may have been a test just to fill up the high score table. Probably a replacement version should be released.

2 hours ago, spspspsp said:

Yes boot1 has to be short for flashing, but it can be short during operation too. This can be done by flipping the jumper between boot1 and boot0. But during my development I had to do a lot of flashing, so shortening boot1 saved me some time.

So I just changed this to:

BOOT1 on the STM32F407VGT6 breakout board has to be short for flashing and can be short during operation.

Here are the latest STL files for printing your own PlusCart Shell.

This new version 2 incorporates pins to push open the protective door/flap on your '2600 unit.

It no longer has the straps around the outside to hold it together -- it's now totally friction-fit.

I included several sizes of the pins/staples so that you can have it as tight as you want.

It's also very very strong, as I've paid careful attention to fixing all the weak spots and bracing parts under pressure.

These files are licensed thus:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/legalcode

I've also included the god-awful tangled mess of source code as I no longer care about legibility or my reputation.

PlusCartShell_v2.zip plus.scad

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 1

Alternate colour scheme came out quite nicely.

I'm getting the hang of printing on tape and hiding the "lines" of the 3D print.  I've tried to show the texture clearly in one of the pictures - it's actually quite beautiful. However, my tape isn't wide, so I get the two horizontal join marks shown.  I'm ordering a wider tape bed/mat to fix. I'll be printing a few PlusCart shells in various colours, and who knows maybe in the future I might even supply "official" ready-made PlusCarts (with shells) to those in Oz, if @Al_Nafuur is happy for me to do that.

IMG_20201003_174156.jpg

IMG_20201003_174143.jpg

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'll be printing a few PlusCart shells in various colours, and who knows maybe in the future I might even supply "official" ready-made PlusCarts (with shells) to those in Oz, if @Al_Nafuur is happy for me to do that.

I have no problem with anyone producing and offering PlusCarts, and of course yours would be the "custom official special deluxe" ready-made ones ?

As far as I understand the GPL, everyone can build PlusCarts, even in a commercial way, and sell it for whatever price he wants, as long as the GPL is included and the IP is referred.

There are a lot of commercial products using GPLed software or hardware.

I think, it would be nice to inform the creator of a GPL work before using it in a commercial way, but I am not sure if this is recommended by the GPL.

I wouldn't like this, but according to the GPL even a separate commercial PlusStore can be set up by everyone, who distributes his PlusCart version (although he would have to publish and GPL his PlusCart source code). I wouldn't like this, because one community maintained repository is the best solution in my opinion. That's why I haven't GPLed the PlusStore source code so far.

@Andrew Davie and I have decided to sell 3 of our PlusCarts with very rare prototype casings and donate the proceeds to Curt Vendel's family GoFundMe campaign. These 3 PlusCarts are the last of the first 50 PlusCarts and the first to actually be sold.

Additionally Andrew Davie will 3D-print and send the very latest PlusCart Shell using the preferred colour scheme of the auction winner. So, the winner of the auction will receive two shells -- a rare prototype, and the very latest version.

For all interested in biding, here are the ebay links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114444162453

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114444178613

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114444188600

• Like 2

Barnstorming has been modified for the PlusCart High Score Club. The ASM code can be found in Gitlab.

PlusCart user/tester can find the PAL and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club"

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for Barnstorming:

https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=9

Thanks to @DEBRO for his perfectly labeled and commented disassembly.

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 2

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page has been (slightly) reworked. Now all scores are grouped by the game variation, which is selectable via a dropdown menu in the top right of the table.

Also the game variations are named and no longer shown as Id only.

• Like 2

Astroblast has been modified for the PlusCart High Score Club. The ASM code can be found in Gitlab.

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for Astroblast:

https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=10

Thanks again to @DEBRO for his perfectly labeled and commented disassembly.

• Like 1