IGNORED

Lawnmower by OCEO - Silly Venture 2019 entry for Atari Lynx Game Compo

Nop90

29 minutes ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Did you speed up the game itself or the fps?

The FPS, but the speed too because i'm not limiting the speed (no need to do it under 60 FPS).

The game is not fast like on NES, bt very fast, so the training levels start to be not so boring and the new levels are much harder.

Don't know if people will like this more than the previous version, but from the point of view of coders the result is much more appealing.

• Like 1

Ok, nice! Looking forward to try it out!:thumbsup: :)

I added a specification to my last post that I meant to write from the start but forgot, so that it's not misinterpreted that I'm only whining xD

I do like myself some hectic and fast games too, but personally I think it's a fad that has been going on a couple of years too long already, that all games have to be fast and hard.

Yes, this will be the final release for SV (under testing and final tuning now), but there will be other optimizations and other things added in a final version that we will try to pubish as a phisical cart.

Sprite drawing with Suzy was already optimized (20 HBL), the slowdown was caused by the update map loop (700 HBL) so what I did first (with the help of @kezax) was to optimize the drawing loop that made me move from 12 to 20 FPS, than used a cached chain of sprites of fixed position moved with Suzy offsets (with a lot of tricks to have animated tiles). Now I have an average of 60 FPS, but its not constant. Lukily the 1 out of 8 frames that is slower is not so noticeable.

What I have now is very good engine for tiled games that I want reuse to speedup Nutmeg, for porting some of the other Retroguru plaltforms, and other original titles with OCEO.

• Like 3

Only 2 days left to the rom release by Silly Venture. and here is an updated video of the improved game:

Game is unchanged, but after making it faster we added two small things:

1) in trainig mode you can switch to the next level pressing OPT1, so you can decide the lawn to play. After Lawn 9 there is the main menu.

2) in arcade mode the music changes after every level restart (after fuel is over or after passing a level). Since it can take a lot of tries to pass a level, the change of music seems a good idea. With OPT2 you can rotate musics or mute them.

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Lawnmower on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1326502852_20230523-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.274ef28f98d0ab476bc0503330a67290.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

@marss and me are working again on this game to complete the two players mode.

So far we completed the menu screen for the comlynx connection and added the comlynx code to the engine. We decided to limit the 2 players mode to the first 5 training screens, this way the challenge is fast and simpler. 

image.thumb.png.f4447148cf97764faa284ecdee523496.png

image.thumb.png.cb9c64690f8cb152a9303f8963c72e05.png

image.thumb.png.c708c68ef35bf92b55d90eee9392dc24.png

• Like 10

@marss still wants to add some nice spashscreen to the game intro and I will have to reorganize the memory allocation again to do it 😒, but the game is completed and the two player mode is better than I expected.

This is the final  aspect of the multiplayer mode.

image.thumb.png.14213097aaf558bac204d1b10a8eba2b.png

Soon I'll post a video of the comlynx mode running on two real lynx.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1