IGNORED

Retro Games That Help With Anxiety

Nintendo64

I'm a big Slipstream fan...Lately I find golf games to be very relaxing/stress reducing,and the more realistic they are,with the options to create your own character , the better it is...  I wish there was a hack of Golden Tee series where you can choose a female character as well. 

I liked fishing games when I tried them. Anything that has relaxing enviroments and backgrounds are the way to go. Also try pool games. I love 9 Ball Shootout.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2022 at 2:26 PM, wongojack said:

I was thinking about this thread recently.  @Nintendo64 are you still around?  What is new for you in the world of relaxing classic games?

I occasionally visit from time to time, but haven't contributed in a while Thanks for thinking of me. I have actually been playing Banjo Tooie for the N64 and feel that it is a relaxing game to play. It is open world game, although not by today's standards, but I really like the exploration aspect of the game as I do with other Action/Adventure games for the Nintendo 64. How about you wongojack, what are some of your retro go to's, as of recently, that you think are calming to play?

On 4/6/2022 at 2:51 AM, H454 said:

Glade you came across the LOLO games.

I couldn't agree more. The Lolo games are a go to of mine for relaxation, as is Fire N Ice.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:36 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Slipstream (a really fun racer like outrun )  worked for me recently.

I haven't heard of it, what platform is it for? I do like Outrun; I remember playing it on the Sega Master System many years ago.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, vrocko said:

Used to play Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master System, to help me relax or more like focus on the game instead of my anxiety, panic attacks. It worked great for me. 

I never really gave this game a try. Maybe one day I will give it another go.

13 minutes ago, Raccoon Lad said:

I was getting really relaxed yesterday playing Cu-On-Pa for Super Famicom.

That looks interesting, thank you for your suggestion.

3 hours ago, lushgirl_80 said:

Lately I find golf games to be very relaxing/stress reducing,and the more realistic they are,with the options to create your own character , the better it is...  I wish there was a hack of Golden Tee series where you can choose a female character as well. 

I'm right there with you with the golf games. I have always thought that Tiger Woods 2002/2004  on the PS2 were always good games to help me relieve some anxiety. I always like playing St. Andrews in rainy weather, as I find it really soothing to play. I also used to love playing the Golden Tee arcade machine years ago.

Thank you all for keeping this thread going. I really like to see everyone's suggestions on retro games that help them relieve some anxiety, even if it just a little bit.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 11:10 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

There is a newish Gauntlet game that is always Zen like.  It's not spazzy like all the original gauntlet, and not stupid and ugly like the later 3d gauntlets.  I play it on PS4 but prob on other platforms.

I know you posted this a while ago, but I just wanted to say I was thinking about the NES version of gauntlet and how it was soothing for me to play. I also wanted to wish you all a happy holiday season, and I hope 2023 is an anxiety reduced year when compared to 2022.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nintendo64 said:

I know you posted this a while ago, but I just wanted to say I was thinking about the NES version of gauntlet and how it was soothing for me to play. I also wanted to wish you all a happy holiday season, and I hope 2023 is an anxiety reduced year when compared to 2022.

Hey @Nintendo64 - I like this thread and am pleased to see you back and posting.  Here's to anxiety reducing activities in 2023!

On 12/27/2022 at 12:01 AM, jerseystyle said:

I always enjoy a few rounds of Snoopy and the Red Baron to relax. Once you’re in the groove it’s a very easy game.

Or more modern, I can definitely spend an afternoon playing Gwent on Witcher 3.

Thank you for your contribution to the thread. It is always nice to hear about games that help people relieve some anxiety, even if it's just a little bit.

Edited by Nintendo64
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just beat Panel Action Bingo on the Game Boy, and I can imagine that someone might find it soothing and trance-like. There are 60 levels -- two sets of 30 -- and numbers 1-20 and 31-50 are generally easy. It gets difficult after that, but you can always take a password and go back to it.

Probably a good choice for someone dealing with rough seas and needing to zone out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I just beat Panel Action Bingo on the Game Boy, and I can imagine that someone might find it soothing and trance-like. There are 60 levels -- two sets of 30 -- and numbers 1-20 and 31-50 are generally easy. It gets difficult after that, but you can always take a password and go back to it.

Probably a good choice for someone dealing with rough seas and needing to zone out.

Will have to give this a go sometime.