IGNORED

Classic Gaming Expo NEWS

digitalpress

T-MINUS 17 DAYS.

NINTENDO FOR ALL

logo_lostlevels.jpgLost Levels is a new, not-for-profit gaming magazine making its debut at this year's show. This gang of mighty Nintendophiles will have a plethora of newly-discovered, unreleased games available for free play, as well as hundreds of NES games for sale and a prize raffle with prizes including authentic prototype cartridges!

Lost Levels will be hosting a prize raffle, with prizes ranging from $1 thrift store kitsch to authentic NES prototype cartridges. They've also got an assortment of newly discovered, unreleased games you likely have never heard of on display for free play throughout the show. In addition, they'll have hundreds of unique NES games for sale.

T-MINUS 16 DAYS.

MIDWAY GAMES AT CGE

logo_midway.jpgMidway has been a leader in the industry since the dawn of the video game revolution, with early breakthrough titles including Defender, Sinistar, Tapper, and Spy Hunter. Recent blockbuster titles include Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Hydro Thunder, NFL Blitz and the Mortal Kombat series. You definitely want to check out their upcoming title Midway Arcade Treasures, which includes over 20 of their arcade classics in a single compilation!

Midway Games Inc. is a leading developer and publisher of interactive entertainment software. Midway videogames are available for play on all major videogame platforms including the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Xbox™ video game system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube™ and Game Boy® Advance.

T-MINUS 15 DAYS.

COMBAT II ADVANCED FOR ATARI 5200

Combat2screenTANK.gifAtari2600.com in partnership with Mean Hamster Software, is pleased to announce the availability of Combat II Advanced during Classic Gaming Expo 2003 at the Atari2600.com booth. Combat II Advanced for the Atari 5200 features a full color label, game instruction manual and box. A limited quanity have been produced so if you missed out getting this game when offered as cartridge and manual only, now is your chance to acquire the complete package.

Combat II Advanced is a game you'll want to play again and again. Great for teaching smart alecky Xbox kids a lesson. Guaranteed to get the competition going at your next game party.

Production details: 25 copies, $35.00ea

Does anyone know what the full release list of 2600 repros will be this year?

I saw Looping (nice job guys!) & Entity, just wondering if there are any more.... :?:

This page is updated whenever a new product is announced for CGE. There are still some surprises that are waiting in the wings for the next few days.

http://www.cgexpo.com/newprod.html

Hope this helps!

T-MINUS 14 DAYS.

ADVENTURE II FOR ATARI 5200

adventure2_4.gifNorthWest Classic Games Enthusiasts (NWCGE) will be demoing, among other things, the most updated version of Ron Lloyd, Keith Erickson, and Alan Davis' Adventure II for the Atari 5200.

A long-awaited sequel to the beloved Atari 2600 game, Adventure II will be a 32K cartridge filled with many screens to explore, and will be sold with a deluxe glossy manual and professionally die cut box. Expect four kingdoms, sword and keys, hedge mazes, brick-layed castle interiors, and three very hungry dragons on your quest to return the stolen chalice to the Seashore Kingdom's Castle. The CGE version of Adventure II will feature more levels, sounds, and gameplay than any previously shown demo. It is estimated to be completed 4th quarter 2003.

T-MINUS 13 DAYS.

CLASSIC VIDEOGAME GAME SHOWS: LIVE!

logo_janice.jpggameshows.jpgClassic Gaming Expo is home to one of many unique events: video game game shows! Hosted by Digital Press, you can expect a whirlwind of classic game show goodness this year. The game shows will feature hosts Tim Snider (who was at one time a stand-up comic) and professional spokesmodel Janice Prishwalko. Each day of Classic Gaming Expo will feature a unique game - on Saturday the troupe has planned two trivia battle games where three players will go head-to-head and match wits on their gaming expertise. On Sunday, it will be team battles as contestants feud over the most popular answers to simple "what's your opinion" questions. Who will emerge as the champion of video gaming know-how? The competition will be fierce and the prizes plentiful, but it's just as much fun to watch! Be there.

T-MINUS 12 DAYS.

NEW COMMODORE 64 GAME DEBUTS

wwscreen2.jpgSeems like a popular year for the Commodore 64, and CGE is the place to showcase the new goods! OlderGames is pleased to announce the forthcoming release of Weird World, an Infocom-like text adventure game for the Commodore 64/128. This game follows the tradition of games like Zork, and features some fun and interesting puzzles to solve along with completely off-the-wall humor as its name suggests. The game will debut at CGE at a mere $10, a great way to get re-acquainted with your C64 computer. The CGE release will consist of 50 numbered copies featuring "CGE 2K3" on the title screen.

T-MINUS 11 DAYS.

NEW ATARI JAGUAR PRODUCTS DEBUT

jag_painter.jpgAmong other Jaguar releases to debut at CGE, Sinister Developments has announced that Painter for the Atari Jaguar CD will be released on Saturday at the show. Painter is a fast-paced retro style arcade puzzle game with 100 brand new addictive levels to enjoy. Each level of Painter is a grid which must be fully traversed within a pre-defined time limit which differs per level, while avoiding the grid monsters that patrol the grid looking for intruders. That means YOU. Bonus points are awarded for completing individual boxes and for remaining time left on completion of a level. Special edition features include a special JagFest intro screen, 20 JagFest-only levels,and a JagFest Special Edition Box. This special edition will be available at the Songbird Productions booth for $25.

T-MINUS 10 DAYS.

YET ANOTHER NEW ATARI GAME UNVEILED!

rushhour_box_front_sm.jpgClassic Gaming Expo Services has announced their third new release for this year's Expo. It's Rush Hour, one of the "games that never were", advertised by CommaVid in the early 1980's but never completed or distributed to the gaming public. You're in a hurry and you can't afford to be one minute late. As you drive along smoothly, you're suddenly caught in a driver's nightmare - a traffic jam during rush hour - but you can't just creep along! Good thing your super auto is equipped with laser-blasting headlights. Blast, dodge, and weave your way through high-speed traffic, but you must avoid the debris cluttering the Autobahn to reach your destination! Check out a complete preview at Digital Press, which includes screen shots, box art, and original advertising promos. You can buy the game for the very first time at Classic Gaming Expo.

Using my psychic powers of the second sight, I'll try to look a few days into the future and... it reveals... the third game will... be...  

Rush Hour from Comma Vid!  

Phew... I always feel so exhausted after using my powers...

Congratulations on your perceptive psychic powers, CyberGoth. ;)

Actually, Rush Hour was not difficult to predict if you knew where to look:

[T]he DP team has recently acquired the rights to the Commavid library, so it appears that Rush Hour may see the light of day after all. Stay tuned for more details.

8)

digitalpress,

I don't know if this is the right place for CGE comments, but here goes.

I was wondering if the sound system for the speaker panels room will be improved from last year. I attended the last 3 CGEs, and from memory, the sound system in the 2K and 2K1 shows were fine, but last year, something screwed up! :sad: Lots of high-pitched feedback, mics going out, mics not close enough. I don't know how many times "Microphone!" was yelled from the back of the room. (and it was clearly justified. I couldn't hear anything from the back of the room.)

As much as I loved to see Warren Robinett talk about his Adventure programming, I was completely lost because someone didn't clip a mic on him when he got up out of his seat to explain some pictures on a projector screen.

With David Crane, I wish he wasn't so afraid of microphones :(

I don't remember that Las Vegas Recording Company in previous years. Were they the cause?

I hope this will be addressed this year, as this is the one aspect that makes CGE different from the other shows.

But to end on a lighter tone, I have a suggestion to make the walls more...um, exciting. 8) While the posters are nice, I think there's still too much empty wall space. How about buying some projectors and projecting some images from the competition area onto the walls? I bet there are still people who don't realize something is happening in that area since it's empty most of the time. With a BIG picture up on the wall, maybe it will draw more attention to the area.

Anyway, less than 2 weeks and counting... :) :) :)

How about buying some projectors and projecting some images from the competition area onto the walls?  I bet there are still people who don't realize something is happening in that area since it's empty most of the time.  With a BIG picture up on the wall, maybe it will draw more attention to the area.

While I can't address the eariler stuff (I'm just helping with set-up and am not one of the organizers or anything), I *can* tell you that - geez - you've hit upon something that you'll be seeing this year. Real big. Right there on the wall. Can't miss it. It'll be big. And on the wall.

digitalpress,

I don't know if this is the right place for CGE comments, but here goes

Fire away!

I was wondering if the sound system for the speaker panels room will be improved from last year.  I attended the last 3 CGEs, and from memory, the sound system in the 2K and 2K1 shows were fine, but last year, something screwed up!  :sad:  Lots of high-pitched feedback, mics going out, mics not close enough.   I don't know how many times "Microphone!" was yelled from the back of the room.  (and it was clearly justified.  I couldn't hear anything from the back of the room.)  

Spot on. It wasn't the recording company, it was the mic or the amp (I'm not very savvy with these things), definitely equipment issue. It's been addressed and "sweet sound" will be restored as it was in 2k1. This is especially important to us since we've put more emphasis on the live music and 80's spin jockey this year!

As much as I loved to see Warren Robinett talk about his Adventure programming, I was completely lost because someone didn't clip a mic on him when he got up out of his seat to explain some pictures on a projector screen.

You'll see much more interaction from the moderators this year. We're not exactly a top-notch production company but we do try to keep this kinds of glitches out of the program. I didn't see Mr. Robinett's keynote but I did hear it (and everyone else will soon enough when we post our "Virtual CGE" page in the next few days) but the recorded version sounds fine.

With David Crane, I wish he wasn't so afraid of microphones  :(

I don't follow you on that one - Mr. Crane loves the public speaking aspect of the show. Perhaps equipment issues again?

I don't remember that Las Vegas Recording Company in previous years.  Were they the cause?

I hope this will be addressed this year, as this is the one aspect that makes CGE different from the other shows.

Indeed!

But to end on a lighter tone,  I have a suggestion to make the walls more...um, exciting.   8)  While the posters are nice, I think there's still too much empty wall space.  How about buying some projectors and projecting some images from the competition area onto the walls?  I bet there are still people who don't realize something is happening in that area since it's empty most of the time.  With a BIG picture up on the wall, maybe it will draw more attention to the area.

Spot on again! As Tim mentioned, this is already in the works. There will be projected images for tournaments and the band staging area features a VJ troupe (called "The C-Men") who have some rather interesting pixellated art and gaming themes running behind the band.

Anyway, less than 2 weeks and counting...  :)  :)  :)

Please introduce yourself at the show - I really enjoy meeting forum members and getting feedback. This is the best way to improve the show - to bolster up glitches that make any aspect of it less than perfect.

Game. ON.

T-MINUS 9 DAYS.

VIDEO GAMING'S FIRST TRIVIA BOARD/CARD GAME

gameon_game.jpgIn what game might you see the words "Ferret Face" flash upon the screen? What game came packaged with the NES “R.O.B.”? What was the name of the food-flinging kid you play in "Food Fight"? Here are one of those things that made us wonder "why hasn't anyone else done this before"? Well, leave it to the creative think-tank of Tim "Venture II" Snider and Digital Press to make it so. The world's first video game trivia game Game On: The Retrogamer's Trivia Game will be launched at Classic Gaming Expo. The game is a set of 1200 trivia questions on double-sided cards that will test your knowledge in classic, neo-classic, and modern gaming as well as arcade games! Instructions are included and the game is even adaptable to other trivia board games if you so choose.

While I can't address the eariler stuff (I'm just helping with set-up and am not one of the organizers or anything), I *can* tell you that - geez - you've hit upon something that you'll be seeing this year. Real big. Right there on the wall. Can't miss it. It'll be big. And on the wall.

So, tell me, will it be on the wall? ;)

T-MINUS 9 DAYS.

gameon_game.jpgIn what game might you see the words "Ferret Face" flash upon the screen? What game came packaged with the NES “R.O.B.”? What was the name of the food-flinging kid you play in "Food Fight"? Here are one of those things that made us wonder "why hasn't anyone else done this before"? Well, leave it to the creative think-tank of Tim "Venture II" Snider and Digital Press to make it so. The world's first video game trivia game Game On: The Retrogamer's Trivia Game will be launched at Classic Gaming Expo. The game is a set of 1200 trivia questions on double-sided cards that will test your knowledge in classic, neo-classic, and modern gaming as well as arcade games! Instructions are included and the game is even adaptable to other trivia board games if you so choose.

If you so choose? Does that mean there's going to be copies we can BUY? :?

So, tell me, will it be on the wall? ;)

Yup. Right there on the wall. Can't miss it. Just look at the wall. 8)

T-MINUS 9 DAYS.

If you so choose? Does that mean there's going to be copies we can BUY? :?

Well fancy meeting you here!

When I say "adaptable to other trivia board games if you so choose" I mean that if you choose to do so, you can use your newly purchased Game On trivia cards with other trivia board games as well. It's funny but no matter how many times I read, re-read, re-arrange, and completely re-do a blurb like this there's STILL some confusion. I'm gonna hire a PRO next year!

So. You CAN buy the game, and you CAN use the cards either on their own or as replacement cards for other trivia games. If it still doesn't make sense, IM me!

Archived