IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

I think in a way we've in this last few years, decade... moved beyond the whole I guess it's ageism against old games entirely given it's just mostly mouthy try hard losers who piss and moan about getting with it.  I mean look at an entire generation dicking around with the likes of stuff such as Minecraft which has this veneer of 8/16bit Legos around that freedom or it's 2D companion Terraria.  Then all the was should still be called indie stuff, but largely more and more comes out that feels like it throws back to the 8, 16 and 32bit 2D era of games too.  They sell, and not some dumb pittance for those who find something that works and run well with it.

What you have on the Evercade is a blend of those 2 things converging into ONE device(soon sorta 2 with the vs despite using the same games) and it is a mix of old games, but also the new too made in the old style that look it if not actually would work on it.  You can't deny facts these things move, and move well, and seemingly the Evercade does too given the growth beyond the old library and now into a 4P vs box.

• Like 3

I'd still think the main thing with the Evercade is that they nailed it with physical media. A lot of us grew up collecting it in a way that the current crop of consoles don't really deliver outside of rare special editions, and PCs have long abandoned in favour of downloads.

Sure, it's an essential part of the puzzle that they're also licensing some great classic games and are able to put out modern indie games that recall retro styles, but practically everything else on the market can do that. You just don't get a shelf of shiny boxes and the feel of cartridges you can slide in and out.

• Like 5

On 11/4/2021 at 8:55 PM, Tanooki said:

Wow I mean how many evercades have sold to actually justify its own magazine?  I'm kind of impressed that even exists and seeing the link coming in at 60 pages too.

The guys who worked on the magazine weren't sure how well it would sell... after about a week on sale it had over 200 copies sold.  Not too shabby!  They can count on another sale for me but I'm waiting for the first two issues to be added first.  I couldn't have issue 3 without having 1 and 2.  lol

• Like 3

Sort of a random thought...but I am thinking I'm going to like the Vs even more than the standard Evercade.  Part of that is I'm not a handheld gamer generally; I put up with it when I have to (traveling etc) but always prefer to play on a big screen.  But as much as that...I feel like this might be more what a lot of us have been after from the beginning.  Like, if the Vs had come out alongside the handheld, I suspect a bunch of us would've gone for the VS and maybe not even the handheld.  I love the two carts & easter egg games thing, I love the menus, and I feel like the color manuals / nice real plastic hard cases / real cartridges thing fits better with a "real" console than a handheld.  I associate Gameboys and such with loose carts getting thrown around the backseat of a minivan, with their old paper / paperboard boxes and manuals long having been crushed and/or trashed.

Now I wish I had the black Founder's edition :)  Oh well, the white is actually kind of neat and fits my handheld.

• Like 3

Then I guess I'm in the minority once again:

• I won't buy the VS and I would have picked the handheld if they had been released alongside one another; I'm just disappointed I won't get the hidden games
  • I wouldn't have minded if the games were 100% digital because I could actually use the shelf space for other stuff (like PC Engine and Master System games for instance)
  • I prefer the white version of the system, and I usually pick white game systems (didn't for the Wii U though, because of inferior storage)

?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Then I guess I'm in the minority once again:

• I won't buy the VS and I would have picked the handheld if they had been released alongside one another; I'm just disappointed I won't get the hidden games
  • I wouldn't have minded if the games were 100% digital because I could actually use the shelf space for other stuff (like PC Engine and Master System games for instance)
  • I prefer the white version of the system, and I usually pick white game systems (didn't for the Wii U though, because of inferior storage)

?

Sweet man, then don't buy it. Different strokes for different folks. If you happen to change your mind, it's a good thing that you prefer the white version because if you didn't pre-order the Founder's, black console, you wouldn't be able to get one easily anyhow. I guess it works out for you either way. I personally am looking forward to the Evercade VS. I also preferred the look of the black console, which is why I pre-ordered it ?.

• Like 3

I ordered a Founder’s Edition VS to get my name in the credits but I’ve promised it to @GoldLeader. (I’m keeping the cartridge holder, though ?)

@roots.genoa I like the look of the standard edition better too, and it matches my handheld.

I prefer the handheld also. Also very bummed that the bonus games are not available on handheld. Especially as one of them was a glaring omission in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

The guys who worked on the magazine weren't sure how well it would sell... after about a week on sale it had over 200 copies sold.  Not too shabby!  They can count on another sale for me but I'm waiting for the first two issues to be added first.  I couldn't have issue 3 without having 1 and 2.  lol

I ordered issue 3 just in case,although this probably wont happen,it sells out while waiting for issue 1 and 2.

As a collector,just something to consider. 

1 minute ago, jgkspsx said:

I believe they are printed on demand, so as long as the people behind the group stay on good terms, I would expect it to stay in print.

@Gemintronic I think they were exploring a devkit… couldn’t hurt to email them?

It may hurt if they're anti homebrew.  One YouTuber demonstrated a homebrew cart then went silent about posting a subsequent tutorial.  I still have actual classic consoles I can make carts for so not worth perturbing the hornets nest :)

• Like 1

I just recieved my Evercade magazine and the cover is really nice.

It was worth every penny anyway when I found a page inside with tips and cheat codes!

Some games are just too hard for me so I give up easily.

I got a code for one game alone from the magazine that paid for it!?

Lots of great articles in it as well.

Hopefully as mentioned here,issues 1 and 2 are released in the same high quality fashion. 

I found it on Amazon for around $8.

20211106_154653.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wolfy62 said:

I just recieved my Evercade magazine and the cover is really nice.

It was worth every penny anyway when I found a page inside with tips and cheat codes!

Some games are just too hard for me so I give up easily.

I got a code for one game alone from the magazine that paid for it!?

Lots of great articles in it as well.

Hopefully as mentioned here,issues 1 and 2 are released in the same high quality fashion. 

I found it on Amazon for around $8.

20211106_154653.jpg

I've debated purchasing a copy, but I don't know. Is it really useful? I'm not looking to get a copy just to collect.

• Like 2

It’s an unofficial labor of love from the Evercade fans group. I mean, you could probably find all the hints and tips for these games elsewhere. I don’t know if I would call it useful, but it is an enjoyable read. Also, I am hoping to contribute to it in the near future so I hope people start reading it ?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

It’s an unofficial labor of love from the Evercade fans group. I mean, you could probably find all the hints and tips for these games elsewhere. I don’t know if I would call it useful, but it is an enjoyable read. Also, I am hoping to contribute to it in the near future so I hope people start reading it ?

Nice, in what way are you going to contribute to it?

Edited by RREDDWARFF

1 hour ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I've debated purchasing a copy, but I don't know. Is it really useful? I'm not looking to get a copy just to collect.

Yeah,its actually useful.

I didnt want to describe it too much and spoil it for anybody,but they have a nice review of the VS. and a group review of one of the cartridges.

If they do one cart per Magazine and review each game,I think that's pretty nice.

Plus the really useful part for me are the cheats and codes so I can get through and see all of a game I would typically move on from. 

Edited by wolfy62
Added content.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some quick first impressions of the handheld and trying out Namco 2 and Codemasters 1. 

I updated to firmware 1.3.1 without issue. The process reminds me of Android tool, so I assume that's the foundation of this thing. 

The handheld itself is very nice. It's comfortable with a good d-pad and buttons. I'm not a fan of the triggers, but then I haven't played anything yet that can make use of them, so perhaps in actual use they'll be OK. I think I would have preferred six buttons on front (two that mimick the triggers on back). The screen is nice for the price point. I like how the cartridges slot in and seamlessly become part of the handheld's case.

I had to scrounge up some wired headphones. It's funny, but I'm pretty much all on either wireless or Bluetooth headphones at this point. For future iterations of this product, I'd definitely want Bluetooth headset support.

I'm disappointed in the manuals. Tiny fonts against a dark background with low resolution print quality. I was really hoping for a bit better experience here. I'm also disappointed that there are no summary game instructions on-screen on the cartridge when selecting a game. Just a quick pop-up that shows what each button does what would have gone a long way for me. As it is, if it's a game you're not immediately familiar with, you need to study the manual. Not a deal-breaker, just something I was hoping would have been a better experience for a platform designed around multi-carts.

The menu system and game selection process is simple and intuitive. No major complaints there.

I generally enjoyed trying the different games on Namco 2 and Codemasters 1, although some of the sound processing is not the best and for the Codemasters 1 at least, they included some unfinished and unpublished games like tennis. I guess it's nice that it's there, but I don't really want games that are a little buggy.

Outside of fumbling with the controls and not immediately knowing what every button does or how to play without consulting the manual, I had a good experience. I suspect I'll have more fun with the other cartridges.

• Like 5