IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

41 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Honestly in 2024, I'm disappointed by the small 2.8" screen, I think it would have been a more appealing product with a 3.2" screen.

It's supposed to be the small enough to differentiate it from the EXP. A 3.2" screen would result in a bigger device and a higher price, and at that point why wouldn't someone just get the more capable EXP?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, frankodragon said:

Is Songbird going to have a pre-order on the Atari Super Pocket SE as well?

Yes, we will carry all the unlimited edition Super Pockets and Evercade merchandise. Pre-orders should be up by end of July for the new SPs. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I ordered the Super Pocket Woodgrain from Funstock and its nice to see Atari working with Blaze still.   There is a TON of hardware coming out this year.    Overall the Evercade ecosystem has exceeded how long I thought it was going to be on the market.   Four years later and we have over 50 multicarts, hardware options starting at $60, an upcoming Bartop and console revisions.   As an independent publisher they have been easy to work with and looking forward to seeing Block'em Sock'em on Cart(Genesis).   There have been some hiccups along the way that others have mentioned here, but I think overall they have provided an affordable retro product that has been enjoyed by many people.   To be very honest, If I was to start collecting now, I probably would go with Evercade products and call it good.   

• Like 7

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Allegedly someone in the US is selling the woodgrain ones but they're not saying who yet.

Well, I know it isn't me.

That's 1 down!  What the population of the U.S.?  About 333.3 Million?   Lots of people left to go.

🤡  OK,  just being stupid  🤡    And yet I make myself laugh...hehe

(I mean,  We're all guessing Songbird or Castlemania right?)

Why is it I bet Songbird can't tell us if it is or isn't them (yet) ... ((perhaps))

(Or not)

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, swlovinist said:

I ordered the Super Pocket Woodgrain from Funstock and its nice to see Atari working with Blaze still. 

I pre-ordered the woodgrain version as well.  I never had the Super Pocket before.  It'll be nice to have one.  Of course I could've gotten a Super Pocket when they came out last year but I held off.  Glad I did because now this special edition was announced.  It would be cool if a Sega Super Pocket was released.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Of course I could've gotten a Super Pocket when they came out last year but I held off.

Real talk, the Taito Super Pocket is a better value. 18 games that sell for $8 apiece in Arcade Archives, or $164 total, vs 50 games most of which are in Atari 50 and all of which are likely going to be.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Real talk, the Taito Super Pocket is a better value. 18 games that sell for $8 apiece in Arcade Archives, or $164 total, vs 50 games most of which are in Atari 50 and all of which are likely going to be.

I am definitely picking and choosing when it comes to the Super Pockets. 

The Taito one and the Atari woodgrain were irresistible to me,and I'm avoiding the other ones.

Well see in the future what other ones will demand my 💰 money.😄

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

The Taito one and the Atari woodgrain were irresistible to me,and I'm avoiding the other ones.

Me too. I don't need the Technos one and the Capcom one is completely redundant with the EXP lineup.

• Like 4

On 7/4/2024 at 8:02 AM, famicommander said:

It's supposed to be the small enough to differentiate it from the EXP. A 3.2" screen would result in a bigger device and a higher price, and at that point why wouldn't someone just get the more capable EXP?

No, EXP has a 4.3” screen, it is not pocket-sized and costs twice as much. A 3.2” screen, although still small, makes a significant difference compared to a 2.8” screen and would not have required an increase in the size of the console, as you can see from the space available around the current screen (unused black frame). As for the price, I think most people would spend an additional 5 euro when you show them a comparison between the two screens.

For the series nothing is perfect, even your hated AtGames in 2016 updated its portable Flashback by replacing the 2.8” screen with a 3.2” one, without increasing the size of the console and the cost, and keeping the video output and the possibility of replacing the battery. Mine was only meant as constructive criticism.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

Not entirely redundant, they haven't released Double Dragon 1 arcade on cartridge yet.

Yeah... I do not need it. Although allegedly Blaze are working on eliminating the stuttering in DD1&2. If it included all the GB and GBA games I would bite but arcade Dodgeball and Volleyball and DD1 are not worth the bux to me. If my Technos home cart bites it, I would get one, I guess.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Yeah... I do not need it. Although allegedly Blaze are working on eliminating the stuttering in DD1&2. If it included all the GB and GBA games I would bite but arcade Dodgeball and Volleyball and DD1 are not worth the bux to me. If my Technos home cart bites it, I would get one, I guess.

Sure, and the small screen doesn't offer the same experience, of course. By the way, Double Dragon 1 arcade is included in the Super Retro-Cade which still includes the original Volkswagen Beetle graphics in the first level, which were altered in the Xbox 360 and Switch releases.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

No, EXP has a 4.3” screen, it is not pocket-sized and costs twice as much. A 3.2” screen, although still small, makes a significant difference compared to a 2.8” screen and would not have required an increase in the size of the console, as you can see from the space available around the current screen (unused black frame). As for the price, I think most people would spend an additional 5 euro when you show them a comparison between the two screens.

For the series nothing is perfect, even your hated AtGames in 2016 updated its portable Flashback by replacing the 2.8” screen with a 3.2” one, without increasing the size of the console and the cost, and keeping the video output and the possibility of replacing the battery. Mine was only meant as constructive criticism.

The EXP-R is 99 dollars (and it comes with the 25 dollar Tomb Raider cart). The old EXP is discontinued and no longer relevant. The VS-R is also 99 dollars with the controller and Tomb Raider cart. 

So you're asking for a size and price in between the 4.3" device for $99 and the 2.8" device for $59. You can't just assume they'd be able to make it the same size, it's probable the bezel is the size it is for a reason. It would likely be a much more fragile device if the screen went all the way to the edge of the unit. And you can't just assume it would only be a 5 dollar price increase. You made that up out of nowhere.

Clearly people like the Super Pocket as-is. The Capcom and Taito devices seem to have done well enough for Atari and Technos to want to follow suit, so they did something right.

Edited by famicommander
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Even though I agree with you, the bold part is not exactly true. When I published an article about it, I spent the time to list all 50 games, and realized the selection is based on previous Atari carts (the arcade and console ones, not the Lynx ones though since there's nothing from Epyx) rather than the Atari 50 compilation, and even then, there are quite surprising differences, like Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop and Kung Food on Lynx for instance. But yeah, I know, I heard they're not exactly great additions. 😅

Checkered Flag is Epyx, isn't it? 

I noticed the lack otherwise of Epyx games and wonder if that's a sign that perhaps Atari SA now has full ownership of Checkered Flag. It would make for a welcome addition to Atari 50 if it ever pops up there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I agree the Taito edition is a good value.  Also, it'll be interesting to see if the new DLC for Atari 50 are some of the games on the Atari Super Pocket.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Even though I agree with you, the bold part is not exactly true. When I published an article about it, I spent the time to list all 50 games, and realized the selection is based on previous Atari carts (the arcade and console ones, not the Lynx ones though since there's nothing from Epyx) rather than the Atari 50 compilation, and even then, there are quite surprising differences, like Dirty Larry: Renegade Cop and Kung Food on Lynx for instance. But yeah, I know, I heard they're not exactly great additions. 😅

I can almost guarantee you that those (and the other differences) are coming in the DLC.

Oh how I wish this had Maze Invaders, Cloud 9, and I Robot on it...

9 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Nope, just checked. The Jaguar one was developed by Rebellion and the Lynx one by Atari (whatever that means).

Weirdly enough though the Epyx rights holder released it on Steam as part of their Epyx compilation.

On 7/4/2024 at 8:02 AM, famicommander said:

On 7/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, famicommander said:

The EXP-R is 99 dollars (and it comes with the 25 dollar Tomb Raider cart). The old EXP is discontinued and no longer relevant.

First you talk about "EXP" and then you specify that "old EXP" is no longer relevant. Obviously I assumed that with "EXP" you were referring to the EXP-R.

The EXP-R is 99 dollars (and it comes with the 25 dollar Tomb Raider cart).

So you're asking for a size and price in between the 4.3" device for $99 and the 2.8" device for $59.

I won't go into the value of the included cartridge versus games integrated into the console, since the integrated games are not free as we saw with the old EXP that was sold for €149.99 / $149.99 with 18 built-in games from Capcom. But now with EXP-R I see a problem related to prices. The Evercade is a handheld game console developed and manufactured by UK company Blaze Entertainment, in Europe the EXP-R costs €119.99which is double the price of a Super Pocket sold for €59 / $59, however in the US an EXP-R costs only $99.99. So in the US they are donating the EXP-R or we Europeans are supporting the cost of the units sold in the US. Whatever the reason, it's quite disappointing, €119.99 corresponds to $130.06 (1 USD = 0.922511 EUR today).

You can't just assume they'd be able to make it the same size, it's probable the bezel is the size it is for a reason.

I can assume the reason is always the same, reduce costs and maximize profit. I only see a contradiction between the size of the small 2.8" screen and the high resolution of the games (240p) which makes the graphics much smaller than those displayed on a common Game Boy. Also considering the presence of the cartridge slot, I think it would have been a more appealing product with a 3.2" screen than a 2.8" screen. I have purchased some Evercade products, I should be free to give feedback. By the way I still hope that the VS-R will also support 720p resolution as an option in the future which offers some advantages/applications compared to 1080p with native 240p games.

It would likely be a much more fragile device if the screen went all the way to the edge of the unit.

This is just your opinion, there are plenty of well-designed devices with this feature, including cheap handheld consoles, cheap smartphones, etc.

For comparison, here’s the Super Pocket next to a RG35XX with 3.5 inch IPS screen:

https://retrohandhelds.gg/cartridges-renewed-super-pocket-review/

PXL_20240113_175131823-300x300.webp.a9acdf60d09c05ab65571f7c36b2189a.webp

And you can't just assume it would only be a 5 dollar price increase. You made that up out of nowhere.

It's you who "made that up out of nowhere". Here are a couple of examples just as an indication, obviously this type of screens cost less to Blaze who buys a large quantity of them.

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005006258575617.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.19.4b4032967KDyei&algo_pvid=40a781c5-8d4c-4a4a-a3ab-12dee4e85c98&algo_exp_id=40a781c5-8d4c-4a4a-a3ab-12dee4e85c98-9&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!9.53!0.94!!!10.07!0.99!%40211b82c817202934095156462e79c4!12000036501301171!sea!IT!0!AB&curPageLogUid=19AV9Yqyaecp&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005006258928727.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.87.1d293296eKLssY&algo_pvid=6e2e9f10-c354-4cef-b096-67ab2ea8112e&algo_exp_id=6e2e9f10-c354-4cef-b096-67ab2ea8112e-43&pdp_npi=4%40dis!EUR!6.29!5.67!!!6.64!5.98!%40211b82c817202937768154502e79c4!12000036502549269!sea!IT!0!AB&curPageLogUid=ukELy56hZ99h&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A

Clearly people like the Super Pocket as-is. The Capcom and Taito devices seem to have done well enough for Atari and Technos to want to follow suit, so they did something right.

I've read several comments from people who think the screen is too small. But if we consider your "reasoning" valid then we can finally say that since AtGames has sold millions of devices "they did something right" and "clearly people like the AtGames devices as-is".

• Confused 2