IGNORED

Sophia 2 preorder thread

Simius

In fact, it was not my free decision, but forced by circumstances. Long story short - PayPal threatened me that if my sales revenue to US exceeded $600, I would have to deal with the US IRS. This is to result from the American Rescue Plan. I don't understand why, since I'm not an American citizen, but for some reason PayPal felt it necessary to inform me about this. Recently, while dealing with official matters, I had to testify whether I am not a United States taxpayer. Very strange. They didn't ask if I paid taxes in Papua New Guinea, New Zealand or Côte d'Ivoire, only in the US. This doesn't look good. Maybe they secretly want to make Poland the 51st overseas state of the US?  ;) 

Edited by Simius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

This has been endless and is only getting worse, we have very 'special' people running the show in the USA these days. And it's a very special time also, with many transition teams dealing with the selling off of swaths of their businesses carved from different regions and geos to foreign companies. There just isn't any other way to stay solvent. Super great... There's more on the way from those plans. Keep your chin up, hopefully this silliness will end this year. It just has to.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

There's more on the way from those plans. Keep your chin up, hopefully this silliness will end this year. It just has to.

LOL, the world has to follow US' stupid rules for decades.

6 hours ago, Simius said:

In fact, it was not my free decision, but forced by circumstances. Long story short - PayPal threatened me that if my sales revenue to US exceeded $600, I would have to deal with the US IRS. This is to result from the American Rescue Plan. I don't understand why, since I'm not an American citizen, but for some reason PayPal felt it necessary to inform me about this. Recently, while dealing with official matters, I had to testify whether I am not a United States taxpayer. Very strange. They didn't ask if I paid taxes in Papua New Guinea, New Zealand or Côte d'Ivoire, only in the US. This doesn't look good. Maybe they secretly want to make Poland the 51st overseas state of the US?  ;) 

Thank you for taking the time to explain the situation. I appreciate it and I completely understand. I enjoy using your creations and I am happy to have had the pleasure of ordering directly from you a couple of times in the past.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Simius said:

Recently, while dealing with official matters, I had to testify whether I am not a United States taxpayer. Very strange. They didn't ask if I paid taxes in Papua New Guinea, New Zealand or Côte d'Ivoire, only in the US. This doesn't look good. Maybe they secretly want to make Poland the 51st overseas state of the US?  ;) 

American citizens still have to pay taxes even if they are working entirely abroad.

Not going to be drawn into a conversation about those who dodge taxes and those who do not. But suffice to say I ordered one from the Brewing Academy and it arrived quickly and is now happily installed in my 800XL.

• Like 1

I considered designing a PCB to have normal HDMI instead, but I was not up to the task of mixing in the analog audio too, I could not find ready solutions / schematics for this, and without that it seemed pointless. Without audio doing a board like this to ship from JLC or PCBWay should take you a couple of days if you have ever done something of this sort before.

6 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

I have a separate jack for my stereo POKEY output so I don't need to deal with audio over HDMI. It would be nice to have on the connector but not necessary.

But the main problem with many HDMI screens is that they would not accept analog audio source for HDMI input (mine does in what it calls PC mode), unless of course you have a separate audio system.

46 minutes ago, woj said:

I considered designing a PCB to have normal HDMI instead, but I was not up to the task of mixing in the analog audio too, I could not find ready solutions / schematics for this, and without that it seemed pointless. Without audio doing a board like this to ship from JLC or PCBWay should take you a couple of days if you have ever done something of this sort before.

For ready solutions search for “HDMI Audio embedder” and then re-engineering the PCB.

48 minutes ago, woj said:

Hi @woj,

Someone a while back did create a mini HDMI board for the Sophia 2 and supplied a gerber file for it. It does not supply audio out, but some people may be interested in using something like this instead of of DVI out. I am evaluating this myself with my installs.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/321170-atari-600xl-ntsc-and-sophia-2-hdmi-install/

• Like 2

Working fine in my 600XL :) 

Unfortunately my 1200XL has suddenly died, Sophitia was for this unit :(  I'm investigating to see what happened to it, I hope repair it.

Many thanks to @Simius, it's a great job!

Edited by Nandove
  • Like 1

I've installed the Sophitia in my 600XL the brightness and clear is awesome!!!

I've ordered another unit for muy 1200XL when I repair it

I see in some photos of other people managing the resolution of Sophitia from Ultime 1Mb configuration... I suppose this feature is available if I upgrade the Ultimate1Mb I'm looking for that. :)

One more time, Thanks @Simius

IMG_20240306_125852_295.jpg

IMG_20240306_125844_443.jpg

3 hours ago, Nandove said:

I've installed the Sophitia in my 600XL the brightness and clear is awesome!!!

I've ordered another unit for muy 1200XL when I repair it

I see in some photos of other people managing the resolution of Sophitia from Ultime 1Mb configuration... I suppose this feature is available if I upgrade the Ultimate1Mb I'm looking for that. :)

One more time, Thanks @Simius

IMG_20240306_125852_295.jpg

IMG_20240306_125844_443.jpg

Yup. Aside the latest jan 2023 fjc firmware, you'll need to flash the sophia 2 plugin. I think the firmware zip will have various plugins, one of which should include the sophia 2 plugin. Search fjc's YouTube channel for videos on the plugin, plus also make sure you read up on his website re flashing u1mb firmware generally. Especially if you've not done it before. 

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/ultimate-1mb/

Edit. As you have a side 2 cart you'll also want the u1mb plugin for that as well. Pretty sure there is a plugin combo which has s2 and so (sophia2) plugins. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of this, as a US person it seems I have to order through Brewing Academy, but they don't seem to have any listings for the analog cables, just the DVI.
Is there another source to get those?  I'd rather have the component out so I can directly hook it up to my CRT.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, valthonis said:

Thanks for all of this, as a US person it seems I have to order through Brewing Academy, but they don't seem to have any listings for the analog cables, just the DVI.
Is there another source to get those?  I'd rather have the component out so I can directly hook it up to my CRT.  Thanks!

What I had to do for one of my clients that wanted componet output was to add in separate Red,Blue,Green RCA jacks for component on the back of the system and then wired each signal manually off the output pins off the Sophia since there wasn't a ready made cable set for that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

What I had to do for one of my clients that wanted componet output was to add in separate Red,Blue,Green RCA jacks for component on the back of the system and then wired each signal manually off the output pins off the Sophia since there wasn't a ready made cable set for that.

Is this a service you still offer?  I haven't purchased the Sophia, but I would love to get mine setup with DVI, Component, and RGB (I have a spare 3d printed SNES style AV connector that could be used for the RGB)

1 hour ago, valthonis said:

Is this a service you still offer?  I haven't purchased the Sophia, but I would love to get mine setup with DVI, Component, and RGB (I have a spare 3d printed SNES style AV connector that could be used for the RGB)

We have already spoken on this, but while it is technically possible to wire up all of the outputs physically, the Sophia doesn't output all of them at the same time. You have to use the configuration program on the Sophia to select which outputs are active. So while you could sacrifice the space along the back where the controllers are stored to handle it all, you would still have to run a config program each time you want to change outputs. And of course, you have to use either RF or the current active output in order to see what you are doing when you change it over.

So yes, it can do all of those, but is designed to only select one output method to use and essentially stick with that.