IGNORED

Sophia 2 preorder thread

Simius

1 hour ago, olix said:

You can use something like this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005G3VQ5E/ (StarTech DVI to HDMI Converter)

I've got a different similar device headed my way that was less than $40 on ebay for a Sophia project I've been commissioned to do. So will see how it works out.

https://www.amazon.com/Atlona-AT-HD610-Converter-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B004JZBFFG

They are of course much more expensive outside of the 'bay.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, olix said:

You can use something like this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005G3VQ5E/ (StarTech DVI to HDMI Converter)

... also found a cheaper one on Amazon (Germany): https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09JC83F69 

HDMI Audio Embedder Inserter Digital Analog Audio + DVI to HDMI / TOSLINK Optical 3.5mm Jack AUX Audio Input 4K60Hz 18Gbps HDR CEC HDCP2.2 - 49,99 Euro

Video Input is HDMI, but you can use a DVI-HDMI Cable or Adapter 

618CxW4GC1L._SX522_.jpg

Edited by olix

On 2/26/2023 at 6:47 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Okay, was just going by how the order page at TBA is setup where you select what system you are ordering it for. It does state it is for the 5200/XL/XE. 

Well, to be clear, I didn't say you needed to do any special programming, but I did say you will need an 8-bit to change the resolution.  However, the wording could have been clearer.  So, I changed it.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:11 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

@MacRorie does the cable set for the 5200 provided long enough to reach to the expansion plate? Most of the older Sophia installs on 5200s I've seen had the cable running directly center of the console with the DVI jack installed center back. That means the cable and DVI were visible when you opened the controller lid and I just like the look of that at all? So I'm hoping the cable set is long enough to reach the expansion plate section? On that note have you thought about including a 3D printed bracket replacement for the 5200 that has the opening already in place for the DVI? Another thread here in the forums in the 5200 section from a year or so back, someone designed replacement plates for that purpose.

I do not believe that the standard cable will reach to the back of a 5200.  I can create a 3x length cable for 5200 if people want it.  In fact, if there is a 3D print file for the little door in the back of a 5200, I could modify it and create a set for sale like there is for the 600/800XL.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:47 AM, Simius said:

MacRorie will sell in the US and CA taking into account those on the list. People in Europe will be handled directly by me. 

Indeed.  The first batch of orders went out on Saturday.  The second batch (those that wanted 2x long cables and PBI covers) should go out tomorrow or Wednesday as I needed to print more covers and the cables are difficult (for me) to make.  I only have one 800 version left, so if you want one you should come on down!

On 2/24/2023 at 11:40 PM, Beeblebrox said:

Not wishing to be awkward here but personally I've been asking for a ball park figure for a while here on this thread for those like myself who have put a prereorder for one or more on the waiting list. (I appreciate it maybe has taken time to price up given the current component prices).

Lots of people have been putting there names down for either single or multiple units without having a cost in mind. Some have been requesting up to 3 or 4 units. I have had no frame of reference for a cost until now, hence why myself and others were asking for ball park figure. 

I think it might come as a little bit of a shock if someone has put themselves down for say 3 x units and now realise they are looking at $450 plus shipping. (£370 plus shipping). I am not questioning the cost it takes in terms of components, labour, etc and again the Sophia 2 is a great upgrade. I just wished that a rough indication of a unit price had been posted on this thread sooner for those who have committed to buy. 

I can certainly understand this.  However, just as a counterpoint, the Sophia 2 have been listed on my website for close to 3 years now @ $115, so the ballpark figure was available.  With the component cost increases and inflation, I did have to raise the prices, but I don't think that significantly changed the "size" of the ball park.  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacRorie said:

Well, to be clear, I didn't say you needed to do any special programming, but I did say you will need an 8-bit to change the resolution.  However, the wording could have been clearer.  So, I changed it.

I do not believe that the standard cable will reach to the back of a 5200.  I can create a 3x length cable for 5200 if people want it.  In fact, if there is a 3D print file for the little door in the back of a 5200, I could modify it and create a set for sale like there is for the 600/800XL.

As a matter of fact there is an STL on thingaverse for the DVI for the 5200 for the expansion bay. there are two types. One is just the DVI, and the other is the DVI with a 1/4 hole for a single RCA for audio output. I was going to see if someone near me could print the standard DVI one and I would drill my own hole to use a smaller 3.5mm audio jack off it.

Thanks for confirming on the cable. And yes I think that should be needed since I know I don't have the means to easily extend the cable nor punch down a new one to that connector. Unless it is possible to just solder wires off the bottom of the sophia and only use the VGA signals for a standard 15pin? That I could do...

7 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

As a matter of fact there is an STL on thingaverse for the DVI for the 5200 for the expansion bay. there are two types. One is just the DVI, and the other is the DVI with a 1/4 hole for a single RCA for audio output. I was going to see if someone near me could print the standard DVI one and I would drill my own hole to use a smaller 3.5mm audio jack off it.

There's also one that has provisions for 3 RCA ports and an S-Video jack:

21 hours ago, Simius said:

The SCONF tool for A5200 is ready to test/use. Standard, 8K ROM $A000...$BFFF

PORT1 joystick active keys:

[*] - up

[#] - down

[4] - TAB

[6] - toggle settings

[0],[1],[2],[3] - collision on/off

[START] or [RESET] - save and restart

SC5200.rom 8 kB · 3 downloads

Where I go to find out exactly how to use this? Because again with a flash cartridge I can load up the program, but if the output isn't something I can view intially then I assume I need to fallback on something like the RF to navigate the program in order to reconfigure the Sophia once internally installed?

47 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Where I go to find out exactly how to use this? Because again with a flash cartridge I can load up the program, but if the output isn't something I can view intially then I assume I need to fallback on something like the RF to navigate the program in order to reconfigure the Sophia once internally installed?

Why would you not be able to view it initially?  The Sophia 2 ships compatible with 5200/800/XL/XE.

4 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

Why would you not be able to view it initially?  The Sophia 2 ships compatible with 5200/800/XL/XE.

That is what I was trying to confirm. But then it was also stated in this thread that even though that was mentioned, that I might still have to to reconfigure the output. Good to know it should just work out of the gate. Did you go ahead and add in the longer cables for the 5200s then? I could extend the one that comes with it, but would rather I didn't have too to keep it looking neater. 

BTW here is the link on Thingaverse for the replacement expansion plate with DVI already cut out in the design. In my particular case, I'm going with the DVI output only option and will punch a new hole next to it for a 3.5mm audio output jack. I normally prefer RCAs, but the DVI connector size doesn't leave much space for that unless the DVI is moved over quite a bit more to one side of the design.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4730986

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

BTW here is the link on Thingaverse for the replacement expansion plate with DVI already cut out in the design. In my particular case, I'm going with the DVI output only option and will punch a new hole next to it for a 3.5mm audio output jack. I normally prefer RCAs, but the DVI connector size doesn't leave much space for that unless the DVI is moved over quite a bit more to one side of the design.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4730986

Yap.  I am including both versions, just so people can play around with it.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/sophia-2-dvi-output-gtia-replacement?variant=40049979654246

2 minutes ago, MacRorie said:

Yap.  I am including both versions, just so people can play around with it.

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/sophia-2-dvi-output-gtia-replacement?variant=40049979654246

Awesome! As I've already placed my order, is it possible for me to get the longer cable and replacement panels separately? Also what color did you go with for the replacement plates?

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Awesome! As I've already placed my order, is it possible for me to get the longer cable and replacement panels separately? Also what color did you go with for the replacement plates?

Yes, it's in the drop down menu:  https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/sophia-2-dvi-output-gtia-replacement?variant=40049979687014

Black is the default.  Of course, any color is possible.

EDIT:  I have a set of grey ones that I literally had thrown away.  I will put them in your box right now so you can try them out.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:51 AM, Simius said:

The SCONF tool for A5200 is ready to test/use. Standard, 8K ROM $A000...$BFFF

PORT1 joystick active keys:

[*] - up

[#] - down

[4] - TAB

[6] - toggle settings

[0],[1],[2],[3] - collision on/off

[START] or [RESET] - save and restart

SC5200.rom 8 kB · 3 downloads

Simius, thanks for this BTW.  But I do have a request/complaint. Since it uses the keypad buttons to navigate, can you find a way to slow it down? On my controllers here on this 2 port I'm working on, one little press of the buttons will make the cursor jump to the end and back to the beginning. i have to really be careful with the presses to try and get something in the middle. But there are options I've not been able to access and try due to the fact that I cannot get the cursor to move in a slower motion. It is like a rapid fire has been enabled for it.

On that note, on my Dell monitor I use here in the lab which is an old 4:3 apsect with DVI, S-vid, etc analog connections. it isn't a fan of the default 480P mode and will lose sync every now and then. My monitor seems to like the 1280x960 mode more but then it ends up cutting part of the graphics off the edges as a result. So it would be cool if the cursor could be made to move slower to require an actual press of those buttons in order to move down one each time vs the fast scroll it does now when pressing the buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report mine has arrived in the UK.

Not sure if it's going in my 400 or 1200xl.

Hedging towards the 400 at the moment.

Thanks again @Simiusfor making this wonderful upgrade 

this was beautifully packaged and my photo shows it unwrapped 

PXL_20230320_111259705.jpg

Edited by mimo
  • Like 3

Just waiting for mine. Have two arriving. One may well end up in my 800 - although that does mean taking a disc cutter to the side of the faraday cage for the ribbon cable access. May just stick to popping it in one of my XLs and pop a UGV in the 800.

Yeah, thanks to Simius for this amazing upgrade. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flemingt said:

Looks like I'll have to respin my mechanical keyboard, no clearance!

Have you thought about leaving out the GTIA socket and just soldering the Sophia to the motherboard? I don't know if that's possible, and/or other components might interfere and need to be moved to the bottom side.

I think it's just the red cable socket that's causing the issue. 

No harm in revisiting the keyboard at some point, low profile switches would buy about 6mm of height which others may find useful for their mods. Besides, I've 4 rev b boards left over.