IGNORED

Analogue Pocket

sgrddy

11 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Anybody else notice that line about how if you're caught selling your pre-order before it's delivered,  they move you to the back of the line haha?... (Take That!  Re-Sellers!)

Should be easy for them to "catch."  I typed in analogue in google instead of the browser's address bar, and these popped up

pocket.thumb.jpg.a78bdc47c1b8acda58975cbf064e6002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Please provide a review. 

I'll probably post some quick impressions, but if you want an in-depth review, there's no shortage of detailed, professional write-ups for Pocket. I'm a longtime reader of the site so I like @Sam Machkovech | Ars Technica's 9-page review a lot.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/12/analogue-pocket-review-the-greatest-game-boy-ever-made/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Should be easy for them to "catch."  I typed in analogue in google instead of the browser's address bar, and these popped up

pocket.thumb.jpg.a78bdc47c1b8acda58975cbf064e6002.jpg

I'd comment, but hell, no one has a freakin' sense of humor these days.  I will get banned by comparing it to something that happened a while back.  NO accountability these days. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Yes and not yet. I heard there's "a good reason" why it's not available yet but I don't know what that is. ;)

It would be nice if it could pass the AUDIN (both ways) and both cart strobes to the real hardware. As it is running real carts it should work with Alpine Games, EOTB and future 2M carts with large eeproms.

1 hour ago, laoo said:

I have bad feelings about this Analogue Pocket and Lynx support. Doing Lynx in FPGA isn't trivial. I don't think they have working solution.

May be they don't have a 100% solution. But my guess is that the 65C02 core should be fairly standard stuff. How they do analog sound on a FPGA. There may be some DAC for that. For polling the buttons you need some external circuitry mapping the joypad and buttons to a byte.

ComLynx? Probably not, as there is no hardware for the connection.

Suzy and math is probably the biggest hurdle. Plus the internal ROM. It may by part of the firmware of the FPGA.

Actually doing FPGA is not so complicated. I have created a few designs myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, laoo said:

I have bad feelings about this Analogue Pocket and Lynx support. Doing Lynx in FPGA isn't trivial. I don't think they have working solution.

I'm actually a bit surprised that there hasn't popped up any questions from them to the Lynx experts here on the AtariAge forums.

30 minutes ago, Fadest said:

There s a Lynx core working for MiSTer.

I know analog do not reuse open sources cores (or at least, claimed they do not reuse IIRC), but if it has been done once, it can be redone...

Has anyone tried out the MiSTer Lynx core? It'd be interesting to know if it's any good / how good it is.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

Quick impressions:

Got my Pocket and docket up to date. Dock isn't supposed to work with SN30 controller til v1.1 but it seems OK now. Everdrive is working nicely. I guess I should load a cartridge or two as well ...

Old GB/GBC games on Everdrive don't run natively cos they're inside the emulator shell, same as NES, so they look like ass. This would be a good time to focus on actual cartridge games, the joy of focusing on something and finishing it!

Good hardware, looks and feels like something from Razer (right down to the matte black, dense plastic with green highlights)
The screen is every bit as good as people are saying. There are 3 settings . One is true-ish to old GBA, another looks like GBA-SP backlit with space between pixels, but the Analogue style is best. It is VERY saturated, and 100% brightness is like TORCH MODE, too bright! About 75% seems like a sweet spot, at least indoors (it could go brighter outdoors!)

Lots more to do in the OS, but what's here is pretty sweet, as expected.

Happy customer here.

• Thanks 4

7 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Old GB/GBC games on Everdrive don't run natively cos they're inside the emulator shell, same as NES, so they look like ass. This would be a good time to focus on actual cartridge games, the joy of focusing on something and finishing it!

Yes you would need the GB Everdrive to see them in their real Pocketfied glory.  And actually on that note, so far in playing with this thing, I do think I appreciate it the most on GB & GBC games.

Playing GBA on it is very nice of course but isn't super far from what we've had already with modded GBAs. But with  GB/GBC games it looks and sounds so much better than what we've had so far in handheld form (even emulated on a PSP, etc.). It revived my interest and made me want to play some again. ?

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

On Pocket, games loaded from a flash cartridge (I have the GBA everdrive) don't sleep/wake like real cartridges do. I like the look of the fancy screen and will probably snag some old gray cartridges before long. It's never felt like a priority before but now I'll keep an eye out. 

..or alternatively, wait for a jailbreak. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2021 at 5:26 AM, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Has anyone tried out the MiSTer Lynx core? It'd be interesting to know if it's any good / how good it is.

Super late reply but from what I've played, the MiSTer Lynx core is impeccable.

Sound-wise I can discern no difference. My "go to" game to try for that was Klax which I've played a lot of on my Lynx. It was spot-on. Not just the intro music but the sound effects of the Klax tiles "walking" down the screen. Each colored tile has its own sound and they were exactly like I remember. Another familiar game I tried was Xybots. Again, no difference between playing on the Lynx or MiSTer.

Visually it was like plugging my McWill-modded Lynx to a VGA CRT. Looks fine, just big pixels (which can be mitigated with various filters).

Input-wise there was no noticeable lag. If I was forced to sell my Lynx the MiSTer would be a perfectly fine replacement. It just lacks multiplayer ability, understandably.

I can't attest to every game but MiSTer has totally won me over. I won't get rid of my Lynx but...if I had to...

• Like 1