IGNORED

Analogue Pocket

sgrddy

46 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

It doesn't run at all for now but it's an easy fix. The problem comes from a copy protection or something iirc.

Banking. AG is 512k but split into two 256k banks.

11 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

It doesn't run at all for now but it's an easy fix. The problem comes from a copy protection or something iirc.

Yeah, lets hope a firmware update is around the corner… 

Lets hope Kev readz up on threads like this.

Dunno if this is the right place to bring it up, - since its about GG, not Lynx, but I got a ton of japanese GG games, some which runs flawlessly (out run, pengo), others which just goes black/not booting.

Is it more likely due to ‘rust’ or age?

Did carts bitd come with different compatibility-standards (when ‘crossing’ regions), or do the Analogue need a fw update for japanese GG games?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Dunno if this is the right place to bring it up, - since its about GG, not Lynx, but I got a ton of japanese GG games, some which runs flawlessly (out run, pengo), others which just goes black/not booting.

Is it more likely due to ‘rust’ or age?

Did carts bitd come with different compatibility-standards (when ‘crossing’ regions), or do the Analogue need a fw update for japanese GG games?

Maybe a stupid question but did you try to clean your old carts? If there's a region option in the settings, you can also try to force the Japanese region (it was actually a problem initially with the Duo; some carts were not identified well so you had to force the right region but it was fixed since).

• Like 1

Just now, roots.genoa said:

Maybe a stupid question but did you try to clean your old carts?

I don’t think its a stupid question.

I have at my radar that one of the possible causes is oxidation, so will clean them.

Then I wonder if some are repros, thirdly that the adapter is off, fourthly that a new update must come.

I’ll try to clean them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Damn, I don't want to be rude to third party developers, but that is why I wished Spiritualized have offered his cores as usual...

Positive is, it can read .lnx files from SD card. But it is still a lot of work. But I think most if not all commercial games did not use 65C02 opcodes, so these should work.

Just got an email pointing me to this!

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/2.3

Can't wait to try it out and confirm, but highlights for this thread:

Lynx

• Fixed screen flipping bug
  • Fixed rotation on launch bug
  • Fixed bug affecting Alpine Games
  • Improved booting on some homebrew carts
  • Improved Save States support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Can confirm the new Analogue firmware released has fixed the retrohq GameDrive classic...sort of. So it now loads but gets stuck at the title screen and doesn't seem to progress to the menu (or the help screen before that). 

According to Atarigamer who created the boot menu it first loads "menu.bin" (Please Wait screen) and then the second stage loader "menu2stg.bin". Noticed the site refers to this file as a rom. As an experiment I copied a lynx rom (Chips Challenge) to the root and renamed it to "menu2stg.bin" and it worked! Am now happily playing chips challenge on my Analogue Pocket.

Not exactly as convenient as accessing roms from the menu but still better than nothing. 

Thought I'd post this in case helpful to anyone or in case anyone can figure out why the menu won't load.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm Alpine Games runs now as well. The title screen doesn't look quite right, but the rest of the game plays identically to a real Lynx now, which is to say I can now finish last in every event with a score roughly half as good as the simulated opponents on the Pocket as well. I assume the title screen is using alternating frame color palette swaps or something to get more colors on screen and the refresh rate of the Pocket differs from whatever it would be driving a real Lynx at, or the colors just don't blend together right on the faster-response Pocket screen. Works great on a BennVenn screen though.

• Like 2

Prototypes I got today, runs well on the Analogue: Vindicators, DaemonsGate, Pounce and GeoDuel. 

Haven’t familiarized myself with DG, but the others are more like demos; more like a quick glimpse of what could’ve been.

Edited by Giles N

• 1 month later...

Anyone having had problems running Bugs Trip Redux on The Analogue Pocket…?

@Songbird

I received a Bugs Trip Redux from you, and inserting in into the Analogue, I only got Bubble Trouble coming up.

Is this technical incompatability glitch or simply a cart production mistake by you (a one-time problem, ie not technical. Its no big deal for me).

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Giles N said:

@Songbird

I received a Bugs Trip Redux from you, and inserting in into the Analogue, I only got Bubble Trouble coming up.

Is this technical incompatability glitch or simply a cart production mistake by you (a one-time problem, ie not technical. Its no big deal for me).

I'd say: Try it on a real Lynx first.

18 hours ago, Giles N said:

@Songbird

If you're saying the wrong game is on the cartridge, we might have made a mistake when manufacturing the cart. I could see us getting confused since both games are abbreviated "BT".

Please email me if you would like to arrange a replacement. Or better yet, pick one up from me at eJagFest in Germany in a few weeks. ;)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Or better yet, pick one up from me at eJagFest in Germany in a few weeks. ;)

@Giles N This is a great solution, this way I could dedicace your Bubble Trouble cartridge, or A Bug's Trip, I don't remember which one I made :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Songbird said:

If you're saying the wrong game is on the cartridge, we might have made a mistake when manufacturing the cart. I could see us getting confused since both games are abbreviated "BT".

I think some mislabelling or getting wrong sticker on the wrong cart or what you describe sbove, is what must have hapoened.

As to value, Bubble Trouble costs more at your shop, so I ended up with at least a more expensive cart.

I have placed order for a new Bugs Trip Redux together with other stuff, do so I’m fine as long as it runs ok on the Analogue.

I’ve done a pretty good cut into both homebrews and prototypes now, and my impression is the Lynx ended up underrated and underappreciated.

Its kinda sad, also since the agegroup of the potentially most interested in revisiting the Lynx, may even more today feel the short battery life, old-type screen, cluncky size to be turn-offs, so they just test ‘a bit’ on emulators, never goes into collecting again.

I actually feel that the Analogue has made all this very much my thing again, by using the fpga which both hardware emulates well, presents it on top-notch screen, have set-up option and save-state function on the micro sd.

The Evercade also kinda rekindled the wish to go back to Lynxing - again: better screen, lighter build, save-states.

I hoped back in 2021 that Lynx compilation 3 and 4 would appear, but given some time, I collect for the Lynx ‘on the Analogue’.

• Like 2