IGNORED

1090XL remake

kenames99

11 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello David, guys

Looks like there's enough space for eight slots.

😃

Sincerely

Mathy

Man, you're just not going to give up on those three extra slots, are you?  😊

David

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, kenames99 said:

hi David,

it is a bit rough but it is a start. that is usually the way things do start so, I say you are on the right track.

Ken

You are right! It is a crude start.  But like you said everything has a beginning.  I'm waiting for several things (the pull-through rubber feet, the correct stand offs, and the add-on guides for the back

of the expansion cards) to arrive so I can finalize the rest of the measurements for the bottom.  By the way, my friend told me that if I worked for him and showed him this work, I'd be out the door

before the piece hit the bottom of the dumpster.  He's not the most encouraging soul...

DavidMil2  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2024 at 3:34 AM, DavidMil2 said:

You are right! It is a crude start.  But like you said everything has a beginning.  I'm waiting for several things (the pull-through rubber feet, the correct stand offs, and the add-on guides for the back

of the expansion cards) to arrive so I can finalize the rest of the measurements for the bottom.  By the way, my friend told me that if I worked for him and showed him this work, I'd be out the door

before the piece hit the bottom of the dumpster.  He's not the most encouraging soul...

DavidMil2  

Is your friend going to provide tooling?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Dr. Glenn Hann Ph.D said:

Good day

i I was trying to read through this topic. I own my 130xe.   I am not sure what is required to allow an 130xe to interface with the 1090xl?

best to everyone 

You need, at minimum, one of these:

130xeadapter.thumb.jpg.bc95c15b1fdb1644822d16739b5d721c.jpg

Also, the 130XE doesn't supply a certain signal (EXTENB) to it's ECI port.  (The smaller connector next to the cartridge connector.)  Some cards require this signal.  (i.e. memory cards)  For these cards, either another card is required to re-create this signal or a jumper wire needs to be connected between pin A, of the ECI port, and the MMU.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 4

Well, I've had a setback.  Roberrt's wife works for an attorney, and when she saw the picture with the word 'ATARI' on it, she had a fit.  She told him not to do anything

else until we had permission from Atari.  It doesn't matter if Atari ever produced it or not, we still need permission (on Atari letter head).  So it looks like I'm on my own

now.  I found a good-sized hole punch on eBay; I've ordered a drill and tap set for the stand-offs, and I'm waiting for the Kapton tap to get here too.  My wife is shaking

her head about another tool in the garage.  I am still hoping that someone can come up with some measurements for overall length, width, and height.

DavidMil2

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, DavidMil2 said:

Well, I've had a setback.  Roberrt's wife works for an attorney, and when she saw the picture with the word 'ATARI' on it, she had a fit.  She told him not to do anything

else until we had permission from Atari.  It doesn't matter if Atari ever produced it or not, we still need permission (on Atari letter head).  So it looks like I'm on my own

now.  I found a good-sized hole punch on eBay; I've ordered a drill and tap set for the stand-offs, and I'm waiting for the Kapton tap to get here too.  My wife is shaking

her head about another tool in the garage.  I am still hoping that someone can come up with some measurements for overall length, width, and height.

DavidMil2

Good grief....

Who's Robert?

A few thoughts come to mind:

1.  What am I supposed to call this?  Should we go the route of the "Artist Formerly Known As Prince"?  Maybe call these devices the "A Never Manufactured Expansion System For a Computer Made in the 1980's That Was Partially Known As An XL Model"? 

2.  Well, if Atari doesn't want their name advertised, they can contact me and let me know they don't like the free advertising.

3.  Where is the "line" drawn?  Can I say that the device works with an Atari Computer?  What should this be called?

4.  This is ridiculous.

5.  After the porch pirate incident, if too many people complain, maybe I really should do something else with my time.

6.  Maybe the "MiSTer" people need to explain their FPGA emulator system differently as well?

7.  If Atari was really worried about all of the devices created to support a long obsolete product, wouldn't we all have cease and desist (or go to hell) letters by now?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DavidMil2 said:

DavidMil2

A thought just occurred to me....

There are Apple I and Apple II replica boards out there on e-bay.  These boards are made to very high standards that they can be hard to tell they aren't original.  Nobody has reported Apple complaining about them.

I am going back to soldering these 1090XL CP/M boards so as to get them ready for chips.  Afterwards, maybe I'll sit back and enjoy some Vogon poetry.  It's a lot better than worrying about this....

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Yeah, it's silly, don't worry about it. At this point there have been so many third party things for old computers with the name "Atari" that I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I worked with a graphic designer (S.C. from Melbourne) that had a neat idea a few years ago - he designed a one-sheet printable papercraft rangefinder camera that he called the "Like-A-Camera". Got a genuine cease and desist letter from Leica with the big red dot on it! He was flattered that they had noticed.

Edited by aeberbach
"letter" not "logo"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

So David's friend Robert, who is helping in some capacity on the 1090 case, at least from an advice standpoint on metals, his wife works for an attorney.  And she went all paranoid when she saw her husband tinkering around with something with the word "Atari" on it.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

• Like 7

On 6/6/2024 at 5:22 PM, reifsnyderb said:

Good grief....

Who's Robert?

On 6/6/2024 at 5:22 PM, reifsnyderb said:

Robert is the neighbor that has a small machine shop in his garage.  He really hasn't been much help in the past and now won't get involved in the future.

But, that's cool.  He has given me enough tips on bending and creating holes in metal that I think I can do this without any more of his help.

David

On 6/6/2024 at 7:24 PM, aeberbach said:

Yeah, it's silly, don't worry about it. At this point there have been so many third party things for old computers with the name "Atari" that I don't think you have anything to worry about.

I worked with a graphic designer (S.C. from Melbourne) that had a neat idea a few years ago - he designed a one-sheet printable papercraft rangefinder camera that he called the "Like-A-Camera". Got a genuine cease and desist letter from Leica with the big red dot on it! He was flattered that they had noticed.

I don't intend to worry about it.  My hole punch machine should be here next week.  I've got: my sheet metal break, the drill and tap set for the stand-offs, the pull through rubber feet, and the guides for the back end of the expansion cards.

The Kapton tape and the 8mm stand-off should be here by Tuesday.

David 

• Like 1

What I would like to get is some definitive measurements for the front to back and side to side of the inside of the 1090.  I'm really playing it by ear here.

I have kenames99 memory expansion card that he sent me as a sample.  It is exactly 9" long (which is the internal length (front to back) inside)) that I have used.

Does anyone have any longer expansion cards?  If so, can you send me the length measurement?

I've decided to work on the front metal part next.  I'll send one to whoever is going to print the plastic front to make sure everything fits properly.  I have to say

that this is fun and satisfying!

Once I get the stand-offs in place I'll take some more pictures of the bottom.

DavidMil2

3 hours ago, DavidMil2 said:

What I would like to get is some definitive measurements for the front to back and side to side of the inside of the 1090.  I'm really playing it by ear here.

I have kenames99 memory expansion card that he sent me as a sample.  It is exactly 9" long (which is the internal length (front to back) inside)) that I have used.

Does anyone have any longer expansion cards?  If so, can you send me the length measurement?

I've decided to work on the front metal part next.  I'll send one to whoever is going to print the plastic front to make sure everything fits properly.  I have to say

that this is fun and satisfying!

Once I get the stand-offs in place I'll take some more pictures of the bottom.

DavidMil2

Kens's cards are the original sized cards.  Their dimensions are the maximum a 1090XL card should ever be.

On 6/6/2024 at 5:14 PM, reifsnyderb said:

A thought just occurred to me....

There are Apple I and Apple II replica boards out there on e-bay.  These boards are made to very high standards that they can be hard to tell they aren't original.  Nobody has reported Apple complaining about them.

I am going back to soldering these 1090XL CP/M boards so as to get them ready for chips.  Afterwards, maybe I'll sit back and enjoy some Vogon poetry.  It's a lot better than worrying about this....

Ha, oof, Vogon poetry...

I still need to hook up the 1090xl.  I have a little cubby thing that came with the house, sadly it isn't quite deep enough for my CRT monitor and my 800xl with the 1090xl hooked up... I'll have to figure something out...

Hello guys

Doesn't anybody have a copy of Curt Vendel's copy of the original drawings of the 1090XL case?  (Not saying Curt ever had them, but if somebody had them, it would probably have been Curt)  But somebody might have already mentioned this...

Sincerely

Mathy