IGNORED

CD Game Support

SainT

@SainT after CJ tease I gotta ask … are we there yet?

I really need my vidgrid fix … oh wait I have a working JagCD… never mind … 🙂

I really hope we can have Simone working as well … I remember it failed on conversion, any luck with that homebrew?

Edited by phoenixdownita

1 minute ago, nicolaspersijn said:

Simone works fine for me on JagGD

I never could but figured my conversion was failing more than the JagGD. Did you do anything special? Did you get it from a disc or a digital version of some kind? I'd like to know what software you ripped it with, to what type of image, and if it just converted fine. I gave up on that one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

@SainT after CJ tease I gotta ask … are we there yet?

I really need my vidgrid fix … oh wait I have a working JagCD… never mind … 🙂

I really hope we can have Simone working as well … I remember it failed on conversion, any luck with that homebrew?

Should be next week I expect. I’m trying to track down some issues with stability, but it seems to be the Jaguar rather than my hardware, so there’s not much more I can do.

For instance, yesterday, I found just the address of a 68k instruction in RAM which was reading from the GPU would change stability. Put a .phrase before the function and it helped with stability. When you find out things like this you pretty much have to give up thinking you can get it 100%. As I’ve probably said before, the Jaguar is the most unstable piece of crap I’ve ever worked with. And I say this affectionately… 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

I'm having issues launching the Jag ISO converter. It closes as soon as I open it. What am I missing here?

It's been a long time since I had to do any conversions but I had the exact same problem. I believe it may need to be run through command prompt for it to work if thats how I remember it. Otherwise mine opened and immediately closed each time. 

2 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

It's been a long time since I had to do any conversions but I had the exact same problem. I believe it may need to be run through command prompt for it to work if thats how I remember it. Otherwise mine opened and immediately closed each time. 

Yep it is a command line tool so if you run it otherwise it's just quickly seeing no parameters were provided, and closing too fast for you to see any messages.

Posted (edited)

If you drag and drop you wont necessarily see errors messages, so I'd recommend running from a prompt, but drag and drop will work. CDI, CCD and CUE files are supported. There will be another release of the converter with the next firmware which supports more tracks (Brett Hull Hokey has a LOT) and improved CUE support for single part bin files.

Be aware of the error messages, if it says something along the lines of "THIS IMAGE WILL NOT WORK", expect it not to work. If the data markers are not found on tracks then the rip has failed. I've seen quite a few rips which are either completely bad (no data markers on any track) or have the odd track with markers missing. Images with data markers missing on later tracks (Brett Hull Hockey for one I've seen) will work, but if the game ever comes to access the tracks without markers it will fail to find the data.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

On 4/28/2024 at 3:10 PM, teuton17 said:

Just drag and drop the iso image onto the converter program. It will launch and attempt the conversion.

Tried dragging and droping "Philia.cdi" onto "cd2jcd". Nothing happened...

As Saint said, you will not see the error or processing messages by dragging and dropping. I suggested it for people who are not comfortable doing command line.  I never worried about the messages, if it did not work that was proof enough for me.

Yes it is, good syntax. I don't worry about the error messages because there is nothing that I can do to make the conversion tool work any better. I have tried multiple "versions" of the same game from multiple / all available sources. If none work, then the details as to why they do not work are irrelevant. 

On 4/26/2024 at 12:29 AM, SainT said:

Should be next week I expect. I’m trying to track down some issues with stability, but it seems to be the Jaguar rather than my hardware, so there’s not much more I can do.

Is it “next week”? 😜

I've put the latest version of the firmware live, so grab it if you want to.

It improves CD support in that WTR, VidGrid and other games which were not previously working now run, but reliability is still sketchy. There is also memory track support for CD game saves. I'm really not sure if there's anything more I can do to improve reliability. As mentioned before, doing things on the Jaguar which really make no sense have helped, which really does lead me to believe this part of the Jaguar is just broken. Much like the UART. It also tallies with the fact that the JaguarCD add-on is very unreliable -- the reality may be that the Jaguar may well be half of the problem.

I'll continue to see if there's anything more I can do, but this may be as good as it gets.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

On 5/1/2024 at 11:37 AM, teuton17 said:

Yes it is, good syntax. I don't worry about the error messages because there is nothing that I can do to make the conversion tool work any better. I have tried multiple "versions" of the same game from multiple / all available sources. If none work, then the details as to why they do not work are irrelevant. 

It may well be failing to open the image for output, or something similar. Errors like this you will miss as the command box just flashes up and vanishes. It does work, as I've played that CDI, so you are definitely doing something wrong.

10 hours ago, SainT said:

I've put the latest version of the firmware live, so grab it if you want to.

It improves CD support in that WTR, VidGrid and other games which were not previously working now run, but reliability is still sketchy. There is also memory track support for CD game saves.

That one sentence says so much -- Memory Track support is huge! Thank you so much. I don't mind the occasional crash if I can save my game and pick up where I left off (and don't have to use cheat codes instead, which always feel cheat-y).

Can't wait to check this out over the summer -- Hover Strike CD, Battlemorph, Highlander, and Blue Lightning, here I come!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pkerga said:

So was I. I've improved all just by formating my sd card and putting back all my files (The JCD files need to be stored contiguously on the card)

This is what I was going to ask about. The last time I did a firmware update was when the first CD update was created years ago. By just updating the firmware did you have to remove everything. Reformat, and then re ad everything back on to avoid those CD black screens or contiguous errors?

I'm fine with WTR and Vid Grid not working if i can jisy keep the OG firmware and not have to deal with all that.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, RamsesUTL said:

Sadly WTR and VidGrid do not work for me with the new firmware. VidGrid crashes every time direct after the "Licensed for Atari" logo and WTR has many graphic errors/glitches.

56 minutes ago, RamsesUTL said:

Sadly WTR and VidGrid do not work for me with the new firmware. VidGrid crashes every time direct after the "Licensed for Atari" logo and WTR has many graphic errors/glitches.

finally i can play WTR with this trick...when you see the intro video immediately press the c button and wait..when you see the red car press again the c button and wait..now you will see the menu with practise arcade championship..whatever you choose press again the c button multiple times..this works for me and achieve to play WTR and VidGrid...i try with success battlemorph Wtr Vidgrid Hoverstrike and blue lightning ...THANK YOU @SainT

Edited by chris_greece
  • Like 2

The new firmware brought my WTR and VidGrid to life!  Thanks SainT!    Plus I converted about 5 or 6 more .cdi games, so I have quite a bit now. I am going to test the rest of my card to see if redoing the conversions works better. I just finished checking through the letter "I".

• Like 2