CD Game Support

SainT

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/26/2023 at 10:15 PM, teuton17 said:

Go the RetroHQ site, Jaguar GD section and download the app. It is Windows only and it does not convert all of the CD games. We have been waiting years for this to be fixed. HINT HINT Saint.

Waiting for something that was very clearly and specifically never promised seems a bit fruitless.

Just be glad *IF* it ever happens?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I am having issues with CD games and black screens with games or resets on games reported as working.

Two examples 

Battlemorph , black screen

Iron soldier 2, rests

Any suggestions on ripping them as I own the og games. My main hope is to have all games own running so I don't have to keep installing the from to play them. I wish the tech allowed cart worked through the cdrom.

Latest firmware, high speed micro SD.

Tested multiple micro ads.

Source archive.org, .jcd and .CDI I converted from download still no luck.

So it seems there are other people with issues

That have tried everything with little to no luck?

Not all Jaguars work the same with CD support, this is something I will be getting back into eventually. It's next on my todo list. So if you're getting different results to others, it is more likely to do with your Jaguar than the CD image.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:18 PM, CyranoJ said:

Waiting for something that was very clearly and specifically never promised seems a bit fruitless.

Just be glad *IF* it ever happens?

Cyrano,  I am a big supporter of Saint's work and have helped dozens of people get their Jag, NG, 7800 GameDrive  and Lynx carts working with the most games possible. However, your comment is based on not knowing the whole story. In emails to and from Saint he TOLD ME specifically that he would get back to this. I was just bringing it up publicly as I thought that he had completed all the work on the 7800, since it had been released for a while. People need to not make comments when they do not have all the facts. PS - I wish that you would re-release all of the great work you have done in the past concerning the ST ports converted to CD, along with the artwork. I believe that many people do not know about them or have access to them.

6 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

Cyrano,  I am a big supporter of Saint's work and have helped dozens of people get their Jag, NG, 7800 GameDrive  and Lynx carts working with the most games possible. However, your comment is based on not knowing the whole story. In emails to and from Saint he TOLD ME specifically that he would get back to this. I was just bringing it up publicly as I thought that he had completed all the work on the 7800, since it had been released for a while. People need to not make comments when they do not have all the facts. PS - I wish that you would re-release all of the great work you have done in the past concerning the ST ports converted to CD, along with the artwork. I believe that many people do not know about them or have access to them.

Thanks, but - I will *NEVER* make them run from CD so scumbags on ebay can pirate them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

I've said several times in this thread (and on Twitter, to other people and probably in other threads) that I'll be getting back to it, it's not a secret, it's definitely public information. Likewise it's public information that the CD functionality is experimental and not in any way promised or guaranteed. It's not mentioned ANYWHERE in the marketing material for the JagGD quite specifically. Unfortunately I have other things going on and it's not currently top of my priorities, however it is *next* on my todo list. It has been for a while, but unfortunately (for those waiting), getting the 7800GD under control and letting the dust settle is my top priority, along with trying to take a minor "break". I find getting a product to market single-handed and dealing with all support for the initial few months to be very burn-out inducing. Quite literally 2 years solid of development (component shortages didn't help). And the final 6 months or so are always the most unpleasant. I put a lot of pressure on myself to get things done... or else they wouldn't. It's only when you ease up for a period you realise how burnt out you are.

So, yes, I will be getting back to it, and I do realise it can be frustrating having to wait, but think of it very much as a bonus. If or when it happens, it's great, until then, it's just a thing which might or might not happen. Comments like "HINT HINT" are not helpful in any way and will only irk me, especially when I'm mentally exhausted already. I am aware there are a few things which are outstanding still on the JagGD that I want to take care of, and I will indeed get back to it...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

Thanks, but - I will *NEVER* make them run from CD so scumbags on ebay can pirate them.

OK, no problem. It does not matter to me personally; I just hate to see good work go to waste since not everyone has access to them.  

8 hours ago, SainT said:

Not all Jaguars work the same with CD support, this is something I will be getting back into eventually. It's next on my todo list. So if you're getting different results to others, it is more likely to do with your Jaguar than the CD image.

Interesting, any known details on why like revisions? Does anyone have a tested and true SD they recommend that can be found in the market still to eliminate that. Can it be said black screens show if it's a system issue or storage quality issue? 

Memory card speed is indeed a potential problem, although I think only really old / small cards are likely to be a problem. I’ve used the Sandisk ultra cards to good effect with CD. In terms of any specific chip revisions or console revisions, no, I’ve not found any correlation.

• Like 1

I have used Micro Center and SanDisk cards for the Jag GD successfully. I previously used Samsung EVOs for most of my larger cards (256GB to 1 TB), across many systems, but lately they have become incompatible.  I have switched back to SanDisk exclusively for the larger cards.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 8:30 AM, teuton17 said:

I have used Micro Center and SanDisk cards for the Jag GD successfully. I previously used Samsung EVOs for most of my larger cards (256GB to 1 TB), across many systems, but lately they have become incompatible.  I have switched back to SanDisk exclusively for the larger cards.

In all these that worked well, did Battlemorph run alright on them?

5 minutes ago, teuton17 said:

Sorry, I never played that game, so I do not know. 

Be curious to know which games worked for you.  So far for me Gorf and Dragon's Lair.  But what you mentioned gives me a bit of hope for Battlemorph.  Just need to try a good, fast, quality San Disk SD card and might have better results.

• 2 weeks later...