IGNORED

8-Bit Software: A Preservation Effort

SoulBuster

Color Accountant, The (1982)(Futurehouse)(US)[disk]

a bit of an odd one here. 

1. Software says Color Accountant and label says Complete Personal Accountant.
  2. Software says 1982, Label says 1983 and the Atari 8-bit Software Preservation site says 1984 for Complete Personal Accountant and 1982 for the Color Accountant
  3. Software and label are Futurehouse Inc. Atari 8-bit Software Preservation site says Futurehouse for Complete Personal Accountant and Programmer's Institute for The Color Accountant.
  4. Apparently there are two other parts for this software, look at the menu.  I only have this one.

This is messing with my head too much.  I will let someone else figure it out.

Color Accountant, The (1982)(Futurehouse)(US)[disk].zip

image.thumb.png.cafba4b9609297621da16ddb1e76d492.png

image.thumb.png.8d65a2afbf528d711847ba1ef4e0520d.png

image.thumb.png.3e0dc041bfc71c064f82b949517e3227.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

when you get a nice group of 'it won't', let me know, I volunteer to make the group 'it will', if I can't, a weazle, scp, kryo might get it done.

might be some copy protection too...

back to the ANALOG party.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, SoulBuster said:

House of Usher - It did not autoload, so I do not have more screen shots.

House of Usher (1981)(Crystalware)(US)[OS-B][disk].zip 4.82 MB · 4 downloads

image.thumb.png.2421d9b5240ebb9584a90e06c1d39dd1.png

image.thumb.png.bfe3492b7011aab98ff8bed71660e98b.png

Tried the atx image with Altirra 3.91 ... set to Atari 800 OS-B with Basic, with "accurate sector timing" checked.

Worked fine. Didn't try the atr image.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

slime gave nothing on anything? maybe someone can examine the stream you did capture and fix it up.

No it didn't.  All 720 tracks were "Unformatted", so no good there. I tried three times and after the third I can see through the media on one track. That is no good. I stopped.

Issue #23

1. FIREBUG.BAS creates a file or a cassette of the game.  The CAS and an ATR of that CAS are included. The Assembly listing was on the source disks as MAC/65 files in three pieces. I had to add the include statements to part 1. The assembly listing does compile, but not to a working game.
  2. BASICBG1.BAS shows a bug in BASIC Rev. A.  BASICBG2.BAS shows how to get around that bug.

Analog Computing #23 (1984-10)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.2db55e86d505a5e9705d6d41c3a6da1f.png

image.thumb.png.9bd19af9716b3e9916561755c4f24007.png

• Like 3

Thanks for these dumps.

• We did not yet have the CPS Diag Disk and Colour Accountant.
  • Ultra Disassembler is a virgin dump and verifies our current one.
  • House of Usher is a really early one. It needs BASIC Rev.A and is (c) CRYSTAL COMPUTER MANUFACTURING & SOFTWARE and not (yet) Crystalware.
  • Mission Asteroid is identical to our current dump.
  • Diskey seems to be a probably buggy ultra-early version. Our earliest (and verified!) version seems to be manually patched from yours.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DjayBee said:

Thanks for these dumps.

• We did not yet have the CPS Diag Disk and Colour Accountant.
  • Ultra Disassembler is a virgin dump and verifies our current one.
  • House of Usher is a really early one. It needs BASIC Rev.A and is (c) CRYSTAL COMPUTER MANUFACTURING & SOFTWARE and not (yet) Crystalware.
  • Mission Asteroid is identical to our current dump.
  • Diskey seems to be a probably buggy ultra-early version. Our earliest (and verified!) version seems to be manually patched from yours.

I bought that set of disks off of eBay for about $30 incl. shipping.  I am glad most of it was useful.  You seem to know alot about version numbers ...

How close of a look have you had at these?  They came in a set.

SynCalc

SynFile+

SynGraph/SynTrend Stat

Issue #24

1. PUZZLER.LST is enter into PUZZLER.BAS from Issue #22 to be able to restart the program with a joy stick.
  2. FONT.LST is enter into the Create-A-Font program from issue #16 to be able to toggle the new font on and off.
  3. BOPOTRON.OBJ is not a game, just a compiled version of the data statements in the BASIC program.
  4. XLDOS.BAS does not match the DCHECK2.BAS on line 1310, but it is typed correct and a patch file is created when used. I have no idea why they do not match.
  5. RACINSPC.BAS creates a file or a cassette version of Race in Space.  The CAS and an ATR from that CAS are included.  The Assembly listing was found on the source disks in five pieces. I added the includes to part one and it compiles, but not into a complete and working game.
  6. UNICHECK.BAS creates a file or a cassette.  The CAS and an ATR from that CAS are included. UNICHECK.M65 does compile, but the OBJ as an AUTORUN.SYS seems to lock up the computer.  The file and cassette made by the basic program do work.

Analog Computing #24 (1984-11)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.ed625f4f831cbac903bba51c982d4260.png

image.thumb.png.25e790666ffa4e87eea95b0899ae34a4.png

• Like 3

Issue #25

1. CARDFILE.LST is from Reader Comments and is entered into the Card File program from issue #21.  It adds some error trapping.
  2. ANDROTON.BAS is compiled with MINICOMP from issue #23. I was not able to complete the convoluted instructions and get a working game.  The files are here and are correct.
  3. TUTOR3.BAS does not match the DCHECK2.BAS results.  It is typed correctly, but line 32030 in the magazine does not have a space after the line number.  This is the line that is different from the DCHECK2 results.  I wonder if this is the difference? Moving on.
  4. NOCLICK.BAS creates an AUTORUN.SYS file that works under OS-B.  The Assembly listing compiles into an OBJ. Copy to a boot disk and rename AUTORUN.SYS. NOCLICK.OBJ does not work under XL/XE OSs.
  5. BALLDROP.LST gets entered into the game of the same name from issue #22.  Allows a number of balls to be dispensed.
  6. BUG.BAS is the continuation of the REV A BASIC bug tests.
  7. FUNCTION.OBJ is not a program, just the data statements from the BASIC program, compiled with Atari Macro Assembler.
  8. CASSCUR.BAS is for the Alternate Cursor program from issue #23.  Cassette users were not able to use it. Now they can.

Analog Computing #25 (1984-12)(Analog Magazine Corp.)(US)[BASIC].zip

image.thumb.png.d320a02fd5d4ee268ebd0800751572dc.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SoulBuster said:

How close of a look have you had at these?  They came in a set.

SynCalc

SynFile+

SynGraph/SynTrend Stat

Back then I did not download your dumps because it was too big a hassle to grab each and every single file individually. Farb did download them but I had lots of other, older stuff to analyze so I overlooked them.

I did right now and agree that they all look very much like per-releases. They differ in many aspects from the officially published versions.

Some very visible differences:

• Synstat crashes on XL-OS when you try to load "Edit Data", the final version does not. Yours works fine with OS-B.
  • Your dumps show "Developed exclusively for ATARI" whereas the official releases all show "Developed Exclusively for ATARI (R)".
  • Each porgram has at least one menu which differs.
    Screenshots for comparison (red marks are your dumps):

Syncalc-SoulBuster.png.3dbc12537ab0da969b56e84365288bdb.pngSyncalc-Official.png.4ec2cef166b3e286ee0a30eb2d619625.png

Synfile-SoulBuster.png.b5ae132f1c66c62e7bc498512f044dc4.pngSynfile-Official.png.5839d95b800d5074be83ad29c341419b.png

Syngraph-SoulBuster.png.5a7e37d66d942d7a52bdf12fc9ad9eb6.pngSyngraph-Official.png.e13768007b9de5cfa322c97eb47f7c69.png

Synstat-SoulBuster.png.dca98118209384b1b560f51969b14a4c.pngSynstat-Official.png.26f8671741a4266f879ec251e7caab4d.png

In all this was a very nice find!!!

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

I was looking up a couple of items on the preservation site and noticed that they had not been updated (the SYNs included), that is why I asked about them.

When I was dumping all those disks, I thought there were quite a few that were rare or missing from the preservation site.  Maybe it calls for a revisit?

This thread is setup like a menu at the beginning, if that helps.