IGNORED

Maze-A-Tron Super Pro coming soon

intvdave

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I’m for the CIB Super Pro Tron Maze and definitely with Betzerk for a Super Pro D&D Cloudy Mountain

No CIBs.

Super Pro Cloudy Mountain is something I started working on but shifted my focus. Next on my list is to finish updating are the Tron games with Solar Sailor being next after Maze-a-Tron as I owned it as a kid. I did not own Deadly Disc so I do not have any ideas yet what to do with that title. Adventures of Tron already received the Super Pro treatment.

Edited by intvdave

This game deserves more credit in my opinion.

The sense of progression through the narrative - or at least through  the gameplay objectives - is lacking.

But remember, most games at this time had no real ludo-narrative progress arc. 

this is one of the only original Intellivision games where I could see the developers reaching for something with multiple gameplay states and a semi logical path to reaching the big boss

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

How about ... hmm ... Running and Shooting simultaneously? 

The only way to implement this is to shoot in the direction the man is moving in. Is this the preferred way to shoot? I tried to implement using the side buttons to shoot in Ms. Night Stalker but it was not well received.

2 minutes ago, intvdave said:

The only way to implement this is to shoot in the direction the man is moving in. Is this the preferred way to shoot? I tried to implement using the side buttons to shoot in Ms. Night Stalker but it was not well received.

I think it could be an option:  You press the button to shoot and it does so in the direction of moving -- or you can stop moving and using the keys as normal.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

-dZ.

3 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

I think it could be an option:  You press the button to shoot and it does so in the direction of moving -- or you can stop moving and using the keys as normal.

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

-dZ.

There is only one way to skin a cat but your suggestion would be easy to implement. I think a color change of tron would be nice. I am sure we can come up with more ideas. Someone will want a snow level.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

That could help. But as the previous world record holder of the game, I got very used to it. Isn’t that limitation due to the design of the controllers anyway?

Yes, and no.  If you want to shoot in different directions than the one you are running and use the keys for that, then yes.  But that is a design decision, not a technical constraint.

You could also do it differently:  pressing a side button enables "aiming mode" and pressing the disc with the button pressed shoots in that direction.

Like I said, there are many ways to skin a cat. :)

My problem with the game is that I actually have to look at the hand-controller in order to press a shooting key, or at least switch my focus from screen to hand to find the keypad.  So being able to shoot with with the disc would solve that.  However, I do admit that I am not very proficient in the game and that others do not have the same issues.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Yes, and no.  If you want to shoot in different directions than the one you are running and use the keys for that, then yes.  But that is a design decision, not a technical constraint.

You could also do it differently:  pressing a side button enables "aiming mode" and pressing the disc with the button pressed shoots in that direction.

My problem with the game is that I actually have to look at the hand-controller in order to press a shooting key, or at least switch my focus from screen to hand to find the keypad.  So being able to shoot with with the disc would solve that.  However, I do admit that I am not very proficient in the game and that others do not have the same issues.

dZ.

Got it. But in my opinion, I don’t think the shooting controls need to be changed to the disc. That would be awful actually. I’m sure the folks that are proficient in the game would feel the same way. I don’t even need to look at the pad to shoot, I know exactly where every button is with this one.

1 minute ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Got it. But in my opinion, I don’t think the shooting controls need to be changed to the disc. That would be awful actually. I’m sure the folks that are proficient in the game would feel the same way. I don’t even need to look at the pad to shoot, I know exactly where every button is with this one.

Horses for courses, I guess. *shrug*

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

dZ.

Do you play with the overlays on.  Without overlays you should be able to rest your thumb on KP5 and go back and forth to one of the throw buttons.

I'd make Deadly Discs with dual discs controls one disc moves in sixteen directions, the other disc throws in sixteen directions.  Any button activates block.

• Like 1

Tron Deadly Discs was ahead of its time, it was the first twin stick shooter for the Intellivision and did not use twin stick.  If a new game was made I would suggest allow using 2 controller discs as an option for those of us that would use an arcade twin stick on the Intellivision 2 system.

I however could never wrap my kid brain around Maze a tron back then so I am willing to give it a go with a overgrown kid brain now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, First Spear said:

I thi k the original developers did what the could with the limited ROM space, which I think is why the maze is so repetitive and frustrating.. Ore maze pie es would definitely help to deal with the itm that Rick pointed out. Would not be easy to implement I am sure. 

The original game was just designed to be to hard. It has nothing to do with ROM space. It seems like it was designed for an arcade system instead of a home system.

5 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

This makes little sense.

There is only two ways to do this. Use the keypad or use a side button to shot in the direction you are moving.