IGNORED

Altirra 4.00 released

phaeron

3 minutes ago, MrFish said:

@phaeron already has a project that extends Altirra BASIC here: Altirra Extended BASIC

Maybe you can focus your attention/requests in that thread.

Well remembered that man, I'd totally forgotten that project BUT the very last post in that thread pretty much answers what rsh wants, Averys gets asked a similar question and say "Nope, no EXTEND" for banked memory

19 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Well remembered that man, I'd totally forgotten that project BUT the very last post in that thread pretty much answers what rsh wants, Averys gets asked a similar question and say "Nope, no EXTEND" for banked memory

16 minutes ago, rsh said:

Yeah I just found that... will do thx !

You're going to hit another dead end there, as @Mclaneinc has pointed out.

I've used a canned BASIC machine language subroutine for years that works fine in Atari compatible BASICs: Access

The routine doesn't let you use memory for more program statements; but in my experience, extra memory is needed for data, not program code.

[Edit]

I guess I'd add here... if BASIC XE has what you want, why not use BASIC XE?

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

You're going to hid another dead end there, as @Mclaneinc has pointed out.

I've used a canned BASIC machine language subroutine for years that works fine in Atari compatible BASICs: Access

The routine doesn't let you use memory for more program statements; but in my experience, extra memory is needed for data, not program code.

Yeah, I've used those as well... I guess I'm asking a lot,  ... I thought Altirra Basic was still an on going effort to make it better & better... If so, that would make it better.   Altirra Basic is great but without direct extended ram support,  I still think Basic XE minus a compiler is still the best Basic ever for Atari.     

7 minutes ago, rsh said:

I guess I'm asking a lot,  ... I thought Altirra Basic was still an on going effort to make it better & better... If so, that would make it better.  

You're always going to hit a wall with an 8 KB cartridge. The wall was hit long ago.

18 minutes ago, MrFish said:

You're always going to hit a wall with an 8 KB cartridge. The wall was hit long ago.

You know and I know there is always a way to squeeze and squeeze the code until it works but totally unrecognizable!! :D ... but that's OOOK.... I'll just have to get that damn extension disk mounted every time I want to load up Basic XE lol.   Seriously... no worries !!! Just wanted to make Altirra basic better!  Thanks!    

Edited by rsh

19 minutes ago, rsh said:

You know and I know there is always a way to squeeze and squeeze the code until it works but totally unrecognizable!! :D ... but that's OOOK.... I'll just have to get that damn extension disk mounted every time I want to load up Basic XE lol.   Seriously... no worries !!! Just wanted to make Altirra basic better!  Thanks!

Altirra BASIC is open source...

Phaeron,

That was exactly the part I was missing. Thanks so much for clearing this up for me.

Keep up the good work on this excellent emulator. I truly appreciate your efforts and enjoy using Altirra.

19 hours ago, phaeron said:

The MIO keeps its configuration in sector 0 of the first hard drive. Make sure you aren't placing a partition at 0; the ICD Configurator will let you do this, but this will just overwrite the config as soon as you initialize the partition. You should be able to cold reset or restart the emulator and the MIO configurator should show the config that was previously saved.

22 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Not sure how to make that shortcut exactly but using this command-line format seems to work fine for me:

weird... doesn't work for me... Altirra sees "/home..." as a parameter. I tried with >'< and with >"< and without anything... Using Mint, Altirra 4.0 test 21 and Wine5

21 hours ago, phaeron said:

Remember that Altirra is a Windows application and expects Windows paths. It appears that the wine program will attempt to do path translation, but this will only work if the Linux path you're giving it can be mapped to one of the drive letter paths in wine's config.

It's a little confusing, seems like z: is mapped to /home but that doesn't really help. I had to make a dumb script

cmdl=$(echo "wine /home/a/Apps/Altirra/Altirra64.exe ")
cmdl+=$(winepath -w $1)
echo $cmdl
$cmdl

winepath just changes >/< to >\< where the input path is just a regular linux path... Doesn't work with spaces but good enough.

19 hours ago, GoodByteXL said:

Thereafter right-click on the respective Altirra EXE and you will be prompted with an option to open this exe with the WINE Windows Program Starter. Click and go ...

No Windows hassles anymore. :D

yeah but that doesn't start Altirra when clicking on a .car/.xex right ?

10 minutes ago, rensoup said:

weird... doesn't work for me... Altirra sees "/home..." as a parameter. I tried with >'< and with >"< and without anything... Using Mint, Altirra 4.0 test 21 and Wine5

Weird... I have no idea then.

Here I'm using Solus 4.3, Wine 7.12 and the Altirra version seen in the screenshot, where most have been working the same for me.

19 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I just copied the extensions file to my DOS 2.5 disk. Loads DOS 2.5, then extensions. Works peachy. 

FYI, nice thing about Basic XE is you don't need DOS at all... all the disk handlers are already built in.  Just the extensions disk or (BASIC.OSS) file to be exact.  Warning using certain DOS will create a ramdisk in extended ram which will prevent you

from using the extend command for the 130XE extra memory.   I recommend NO DOS when using Basic XE. 

3 hours ago, rsh said:

FYI, nice thing about Basic XE is you don't need DOS at all... all the disk handlers are already built in.

No version of BASIC XE I have seen has a file system handler built in, and booting it without DOS results in error 130 when issuing the DIR command. The language would be rather limiting with DOS built in anyway, since it would be unusable with any file system other than that which the built in file system handler was designed for. Of course, if you have no intention of ever saving a program, it works just fine without DOS.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

No version of BASIC XE I have seen has a file system handler built in, and booting it without DOS results in error 130 when issuing the DIR command. The language would be rather limiting with DOS built in anyway, since it would be unusable with any file system other than that which the built in file system handler was designed for. Of course, if you have no intention of ever saving a program, it works just fine without DOS.

Your right the Basic XE disk does have DOS2.0a on it.   With that version on the extensions disk, I think if you type DOS on the ready prompt it does nothing... which made be think it was not on the disk.

Edited by rsh

16 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

They command FAST (and others unique to XE) works just fine for me. 

Data Space in Extended Memory
When you use BASIC XE wlth an Atari 130 XE computer, there are three ways to
use the "extra" 64K bytes of RAM memory which this machine gives you, Although
you can use only one of these ways at a
time, the flexibility is nice and may allow
you to write some interesting programs. You should already be familiar with two
o! these ways:
1l You can use BASIC XE:'s EXTEND command to give yourself a 64K program
workspace without affecting a data space of 30K bytes or more, or
2) You can boot wlth a DOS that allows you to use this memory as a super-fast
RamDisk (Atari DOS 2.5 ls a good example).
This Appendix will introduce you to the third way to use this memory.
I! you don't use the memory for large programs, and if you don't use ft !or a
RamDisk, then BASIC XE allows you to use 1t for your own purposes. In !act,
BASIC XE has several statements and functions which were designed to help you
use this memory. If you will refer to the descriptions in this manual of the
following commands, you will find that each allows you to specify an optional bank
number:
MOVE BGET BPUT POKE DPOKE PEEK DPEEK

Hi!

On 7/26/2022 at 10:27 PM, rensoup said:

It's a little confusing, seems like z: is mapped to /home but that doesn't really help. I had to make a dumb script

cmdl=$(echo "wine /home/a/Apps/Altirra/Altirra64.exe ")
cmdl+=$(winepath -w $1)
echo $cmdl
$cmdl

winepath just changes >/< to >\< where the input path is just a regular linux path... Doesn't work with spaces but good enough.

yeah but that doesn't start Altirra when clicking on a .car/.xex right ?

I use the following script, in $HOME/bin:

#!/bin/sh

# Process command line arguments
for arg do
    shift
    case $arg in
        # Convert command line arguments from "-" to "/"
        (-*)    set -- "$@" "/${arg#-}"
        # Convert paths to windows equivalent
        (/home/*)   set -- "$@" "$(winepath -w "$arg")" ;;
        (/tmp/*)   set -- "$@" "$(winepath -w "$arg")" ;;
        # Filter out options (starting with "/", for compatibility)
        (/*)  set -- "$@" "$arg" ;;
        # Convert paths to windows equivalent
        (*)   set -- "$@" "$(winepath -w "$arg")" ;;
    esac
done
exec wine $HOME/Downloads/altirra/altirra/Altirra.exe "$@"

The idea is using "winepath" to convert paths from Unix to Windows, and also convert arguments starting with "-" to "/", to allow passing options as a Unix command.

Have Fun!

Altirra

• Like 2

Yes it is and no need to apologise, I'm exactly the same as you, just a poster in the thread. I was just recommending it go to its own thread so any Altirra issues would not get obscured. And yes, Altirra is just such a fantastic creation, the gods spoil us :)

• Like 2