IGNORED

Altirra 4.00 released

phaeron

41 minutes ago, phaeron said:

The only issue with speaker emulation for XL/XE machines is that it would be emulating a hardware configuration that doesn't exist. There is no XL/XE machine with an internal console speaker. But otherwise, the only reason you can't enable the speaker emulation in XL/XE mode in Altirra is that I put in a check to force disable it.

Alright, so at least the unreality is possible without much difficulty.

Edited by MrFish

1 hour ago, phaeron said:

The only issue with speaker emulation for XL/XE machines is that it would be emulating a hardware configuration that doesn't exist. There is no XL/XE machine with an internal console speaker. But otherwise, the only reason you can't enable the speaker emulation in XL/XE mode in Altirra is that I put in a check to force disable it.

I feel that's the right decision. As much as I like to play with fantasy hardware in emulation, like a 1GHz Apple II, having added a XL/XE speaker would have felt wrong. Somehow. Like adding DHGR to an Apple II+. The feature is simply not part of the real machine's personality.

It was one of the first things I looked at, could it be enabled on the 130XE?

4 hours ago, phaeron said:

The 800 speaker emulation (Configure System > Outputs > Audio > Simulate console speaker) modifies the sound rendering of console speaker sounds to simulate the acoustics of the 2" speaker inside of the 800's case, which has some significant muffling and resonance. It's implemented by FFT convolution of the raw output with a step impulse that I recorded from an 800 with a microphone.

Wow.  You are getting a little bit carried away my friend!  That's just insane, and you have made me add to my list of things to do the following: "Get out my 800 and model the speaker next to Altirra in several configs"!.  I love it.

I have never been able to open Atirra in either 4.0 or 4.1 versions on Windows 10.  Whatever I do it always crashes with "The emulated system has stopped due to a program error."  The debugger provides 

Target: Main CPU
PC = 0055 (0055)
A = FE
X = 01
Y = AA
S = FF
P = B1
    N----C

and COLCRS KIL.  

3 hours ago, Canalboy said:

I have never been able to open Atirra in either 4.0 or 4.1 versions on Windows 10.  Whatever I do it always crashes with "The emulated system has stopped due to a program error."  The debugger provides 

Target: Main CPU
PC = 0055 (0055)
A = FE
X = 01
Y = AA
S = FF
P = B1
    N----C

and COLCRS KIL.  

Tools > Options > Settings > Reset All Settings. You've got something screwed up in your config, like either an extraneous device or cartridge, or an invalid firmware selected. Out of the box the emulator should boot to the boot / self-test screen.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, phaeron said:

Tools > Options > Settings > Reset All Settings. You've got something screwed up in your config, like either an extraneous device or cartridge, or an invalid firmware selected. Out of the box the emulator should boot to the boot / self-test screen.

This procedure saved my ass multiple times, haha.

When in doubt, always reset the configuration!

Speaking of resetting all setting.  I've just set up a new PC, clean OS install.  On my emulation laptop I'd been using for coding, I have a nice profile for an Atari which matches my ultra modded 1088XLD (VBXE, U1MB, stereo, etc.)  Is there a way I can copy that profile onto this new machine rather than setting it up again?  not that it takes very long to setup, but if possible, I will make that part of my backup so I can always have it handy.

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Speaking of resetting all setting.  I've just set up a new PC, clean OS install.  On my emulation laptop I'd been using for coding, I have a nice profile for an Atari which matches my ultra modded 1088XLD (VBXE, U1MB, stereo, etc.)  Is there a way I can copy that profile onto this new machine rather than setting it up again?  not that it takes very long to setup, but if possible, I will make that part of my backup so I can always have it handy.

Just switch Altirra to Portable mode and you can copy your settings file over to your new system.

image.png.bb681881f525b41a3ccef97644cde6e0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test19.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test19-src.7z

• Custom devices can now set the priority of memory layers created.
  • VFS path syntax is now documented in command-line help, and the .loadmem and .loadobj debugger commands now take VFS paths.
  • Alt+click error decoding now works with MyDOS errors.
  • New debugger .error command to do the same error code decoding as Alt+click.
  • Speaker emulation sample updated with a better sample.

Turns out that the sample used in the previous version for 800 speaker emulation had been written out at the wrong sampling rate, so it was higher in pitch than it should have been. 4.10-test19 has the sample redone at the correct pitch.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, phaeron said:

Turns out that the sample used in the previous version for 800 speaker emulation had been written out at the wrong sampling rate, so it was higher in pitch than it should have been. 4.10-test19 has the sample redone at the correct pitch.

can you rip it to mp3 and compare it? I put the binary. I have to admit that 800 sounds great ...

xxl800test.obx

• Like 1

18 hours ago, xxl said:

can you rip it to mp3 and compare it? I put the binary. I have to admit that 800 sounds great ...

xxl800test.obx 16.11 kB · 1 download

Here are four recordings:

• Atari 800, recorded with a Blue Snowball iCE above the keyboard. 
  • Atari 130XE through a Commodore 1702, recorded with a Blue Snowball iCE.
  • Altirra running with speaker emulation off.
  • Altirra running with speaker emulation on.

Having trouble with the Editor widget screwing up the audio clips, so check the filenames.

Note that the hardware recordings are open-air recordings through a mic while the emulator recordings are tapped off the emulator's mixer, so they don't quite compare.

Edited by phaeron
buggy editor widget
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:15 PM, pseudografx said:

Just switch Altirra to Portable mode and you can copy your settings file over to your new system.

image.png.bb681881f525b41a3ccef97644cde6e0.png

Thanks again - finally did this and it worked great.  I've also added the .ini to my backups, and this is forcing me to standardize my file locations for coding across multiple machines.

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test20.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test20-src.7z

• Fixed a crash when disabling stereo with the downmix-stereo-to-mono option enabled.
  • Optimizations and fixes to FLAC decoding.
  • Added 8bpp graphics visualization mode to debugger memory pane.

• Like 6

Possible bug?

Altirra seems to have lost the remembering last ATR loaded, if I change from PAL to NTSC or vice versa it just clears the drive..

Bug or design?

Ignore, managed to get it set to temporary profile again.. Unticked, all good...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Ok, Got some strange things happening.  Ever since Updating to test 20, WHenever I try to load the cart version of Miner 2049er it switches the system  (be it 400/800, XL, XE, XEGS or 1200XL) to 5200, and the start button and the joysticks do not work.  Have not tried a disk version, but the cart version is driving me nuts.

UPDATE:  Found the problem.   Apparently the version in the archive I was using, whoever put it together did slip the 5200 version in with all the others being 8-bit roms.  Went to another archive I had, loaded it in and it worked fine.  Sorry for wasting time and bandwith.

Edited by scotty
Update

Hello back...We are all doing the best we can, all this war and supply issues do not help, but we crack on.

To be honest, I'm not really a Royalist, I'm not anti the Queen, she seemed a nice lady, but I look at the monarchy ad see many a person that would push you under a bus sooner than look at you. For me, they have lost a bit of the shine they had.

I hope Ohio is keeping you and yours well. Turned on my Atari the other day and it would not boot, it had been sat unused so long some oxidation had set in, a little reseat and all was well..Gave me a mini scare..

You take care...

Paul.. Best greetings from a mild old UK..