IGNORED

Altirra 4.00 released

phaeron

5 hours ago, phaeron said:

Needs Atari XL/XE OS, has direct jump into OS at $EF94.

Just a note for a next time. This can be easily discovered by Altirra's Debugger and Verifier - Option "Undocumented OS Entry"

VERIFIER: Invalid jump into kernel ROM space detected.
          PC: 0BE8   Fault address: F2F8

Edited by baktra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 1:00 AM, phaeron said:

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test22.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test22-src.7z

• Fixed a couple of issues with LOADEXE on the Additions disk and the Deferred/Disk Boot EXE loader modes.
  • Fixed the virtual FAT16 and FAT32 devices returning bad data when re-reading the last data sector of a file.
  • Added a command to temporarily remount a VHD in Windows for easier access to FAT32 partitions.
  • Crash dialog now reports EXE-relative offset if available.

Check Configure System > Keyboard > Share non-modifier host keys between keyboard and input maps.

Hi phareon

Just tried the Beta 22 as i'm interested in the command to temporarily remount a VHD in Windows. Found the 'More' button under Configure System > Peripherals > Devices, highlighted the VHD file attached to the SIDE 3 > SD Card Bus & then clicked on More & clicked OK to 'Mount VHD Disk image in Windows' & got the msg 'VHD has been mounted in Windows. Click Ok when done to unmount'. But then when I go to Windows Explorer there isn't another drive letter for the VHD - just the same drives that were there before. Any idea what I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks

oops my bad (again)

Its working - don't worry

Edited by andyhants

The only situation where I forced the game to crash were the following steps:

0. Place the binary load file to a disk image with DOS 2.5

1. Select XL/XE OS and Altirra BASIC as firmware, enable BASIC on start. Do not allow illegal instructions in the CPU configuration.

2. Insert the disk 

3. Cold start. System loads FMS and goes to Altirra BASIC

4. Type DOS to go to the DOS DUP

5. Use L Binary Load to load the binary load file.

6. System crashes after second title screen. 

Doesn't happen with Atari BASIC.

In any case, my steps are very abusive. I am not sure if the binary load file is designed to work with BASIC enabled, but that is definitely not @Philsan 's case.

6 hours ago, baktra said:

The only situation where I forced the game to crash were the following steps:

0. Place the binary load file to a disk image with DOS 2.5

1. Select XL/XE OS and Altirra BASIC as firmware, enable BASIC on start. Do not allow illegal instructions in the CPU configuration.

2. Insert the disk 

3. Cold start. System loads FMS and goes to Altirra BASIC

4. Type DOS to go to the DOS DUP

5. Use L Binary Load to load the binary load file.

6. System crashes after second title screen. 

Doesn't happen with Atari BASIC.

In any case, my steps are very abusive. I am not sure if the binary load file is designed to work with BASIC enabled, but that is definitely not @Philsan 's case.

A quick disassembly indicates that the game indeed uses the BASIC ROM, it enables it through PORTB. So it might very much matter what BASIC ROM is selected. Original Atari BASIC ROM is the best choice in these cases.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:41 PM, phaeron said:

Devices: Percom AT88-SPD, SIDE 3, 1090 80-column board, Bit 3, virtual FAT16/FAT32/SDFS hard disk; modem, XEP80 and Rapidus fixes.

I tried to add the 1090 80-column board to the list of devices, but it has a firmware error. Not sure why this is if the firmwares are listed in the firmware manager?

Screenshot 2022-10-27 073055.png

Screenshot 2022-10-27 073639.png

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test23.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test23-src.7z

• Added new Breakpoints and Targets debugger panes, with the Targets pane allowing for switching between multiple CPUs when device coprocessors are present. These features were already present in the debugger, but previously only available through the console command line.
  • Fixed a focus issue where a tabbed pane in the main window can't be activated when an undocked pane is active.
  • The Performance Analyzer can now export to the Chrome tracing format.
  • Fixed an issue in the Performance Analyzer where a VBI would be incorrectly identified as IRQ if it preempted an IRQ.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:37 AM, TheRaven81 said:

I tried to add the 1090 80-column board to the list of devices, but it has a firmware error. Not sure why this is if the firmwares are listed in the firmware manager?

The character set ROM image isn't needed as the emulator will synthesize it from the OS ROM character set, since it's just a copy of the regular ATASCII character set. The firmware ROM, though, is needed. The one that's listed there doesn't actually exist -- I meant to write a simple one that prints a message saying that you're missing the firmware, but guess I never got around to it. The firmware warning appears not only if you're missing a firmware image, but also if the emulator detects a bogus one, such as one that's totally blank.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Hi all, bit of a noob here,

I'm using version 4.01 64-bit and having trouble pasting text into the Atari LOGO programming language, either through the pointy clicky or the Alt+Shift+V shortcut. Pasting works fine with Atari BASIC. Also from printing from within LOGO, or more specifically, SAVE "P: as the LOGO reference manuals suggest to dump the workspace to the printer, so I can copy it into a plain Windows text file. I'm sure it's pilot error on my part, but after chasing my tail for too long I decided to punt and SAVE "C: to the Cassette device and then whip up a script to extract text from .CAS files. LOGO's such a memory hog that I'm trying to avoid sacrificing even 1KB to load a DOS or host device driver, so, Cassette it is. 😕

Interestingly enough, when I attempt to paste text into LOGO, then give up and boot ATARIBAS.ROM without first shutting down Altirra, the text immediately pastes into BASIC, as if the pastes were waiting in a queue that LOGO doesn't read. If I try to paste into LOGO, then do a Warm Reset, Cold Reset, or Cold Reset (Computer Only) LOGO does read and display one character from the paste queue each time I reset. Any clues as to what's going on? Maybe LOGO interacts with the keyboard as a game might and polls a register instead of doing a blocking read?

Thanks!

Can't Print.png

2 hours ago, yetanothertroll said:

I'm using version 4.01 64-bit and having trouble pasting text into the Atari LOGO programming language, either through the pointy clicky or the Alt+Shift+V shortcut. Pasting works fine with Atari BASIC.

The problem with pasting is that the emulator needs to be able to tell when the computer is ready to accept a new key. This includes delays for scrolling and software debounce. Currently it has to read some OS screen editor variables to do this. LOGO runs a custom editor, unfortunately, so this fails because the emulator never sees the running program being ready to accept a new key.

2 hours ago, yetanothertroll said:

Also from printing from within LOGO, or more specifically, SAVE "P: as the LOGO reference manuals suggest to dump the workspace to the printer, so I can copy it into a plain Windows text file. I'm sure it's pilot error on my part, but after chasing my tail for too long I decided to punt and SAVE "C: to the Cassette device and then whip up a script to extract text from .CAS files. LOGO's such a memory hog that I'm trying to avoid sacrificing even 1KB to load a DOS or host device driver, so, Cassette it is. 😕

This one's easier -- you need to attach a printer to the emulated computer for the Printer Output pane to work. System > Configure System > Devices > Add > High-level emulation (HLE) devices > Printer (P:). You can optionally attach a parallel port file writer to spool the output to a file if desired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phaeron said:

The problem with pasting is that the emulator needs to be able to tell when the computer is ready to accept a new key. This includes delays for scrolling and software debounce. Currently it has to read some OS screen editor variables to do this. LOGO runs a custom editor, unfortunately, so this fails because the emulator never sees the running program being ready to accept a new key.

This one's easier -- you need to attach a printer to the emulated computer for the Printer Output pane to work. System > Configure System > Devices > Add > High-level emulation (HLE) devices > Printer (P:). You can optionally attach a parallel port file writer to spool the output to a file if desired.

AArgh, I knew the printing issue had to be PEBCAK or PICNIC lmao

Oh wait, I did some twiddling in Configure System, so it could have been a Condition RED 🤦‍♂️

Mooch ass grassy ass!

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test24.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test24-src.7z

Adds support for exploring disk images stored in APT partitions. This is accessed by the context menu on a hard disk device:

image.thumb.png.c4e94df7b93d5024098e59accf125a25.png

...which then opens the Disk Explorer with a view of APT partitions on the disk, with options to mount the disk image within each partition, or import/export the partition as a disk image:

image.png.bff8acd0af71a148f38777cc480f042f.png

This should make it a bit easier to manage partitioned hard disks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

On 11/12/2022 at 12:37 AM, phaeron said:

Adds support for exploring disk images stored in APT partitions.

I hesitate to ask, but it would be awesome if you added support for FAT16 and FAT32 in the disk explorer (then 'external' APT partitions could be browsed and it would be easy to move files between SDFS and FAT partitions without having to detach the volume and mount it in Windows).

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

I hesitate to ask, but it would be awesome if you added support for FAT16 and FAT32 in the disk explorer (then 'external' APT partitions could be browsed and it would be easy to move files between SDFS and FAT partitions).

I would, but the issue is that I currently don't have filesystem implementations of FAT16 or FAT32, only a filesystem generator. That's why I implemented the Mount in Windows option -- though admittedly this will only work for people actually running on Windows, and not through WINE.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Crikey - I totally missed that. Very useful.

So am I right in thinking the 'Mount in Windows' option is from the <alt>D function then click on the 'play' button for a given drive & select the 'Mount folder as SpartaDOS disk' option?

Have tried that before & just tried again now & when I try to do a COPY from the SDX prompt from an APT partition (say D3:) to the mounted Windows folder (as say D6:) it whirs away but eventually I get a '162 Disk Full' error in SDX.

BTW currently running Altirra 4.10 test 22.

Or am I thinking about the wrong option?

Thanks again for any help as ever.

Edited by andyhants