IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

On 4/14/2022 at 7:25 PM, Yurkie said:

Probably not since they will only be owned by adult collectors. 

Truth. I'm guessing "most" of these will just be sitting on collector shelves...the ones that do get some play will be handled with care, etc...

On 4/14/2022 at 10:52 PM, BassGuitari said:

Wasn't it established that Men-A-Vision was probably based in southern California?

That's what I thought...

On 5/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, jgkspsx said:

Limited Run is a distributor of limited run video games for current and legacy systems. I think it means they’re not selling fast enough from the Atari SA site. Some collectors and many speculators seem to buy everything they release or distribute. Atari SA are probably paying LRG a significant cut for the exposure.

Did the quantity of these releases get cut down? LRG says there are 1000 each of Yars and Saboteur and 1500 of Aquaventure. I thought the goal was more. Clearly they expect (with good reason) Aquaventure to be the big seller.

I was wondering HOW it would be remotely possible to sell 1983 of these at $150 each... This answers my question.

There is a die hard LRG fanbase that buys EVERYTHING they make...this was actually a good marketing call on atari XP's part.

If this ends up being the norm we will probably see a LOT more releases coming...I wonder if LRG will just handle the production/distribution/etc too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

There is a die hard LRG fanbase that buys EVERYTHING they make...

There is, but there aren’t that many of them. This doesn’t count as a numbered release either. I doubt they sold 2000 of each of these. I bet Aquaventure sold twice what the others sold combined. It looks the best in both versions and is the best game of the lot.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

There is, but there aren’t that many of them. This doesn’t count as a numbered release either. I doubt they sold 2000 of each of these. I bet Aquaventure sold twice what the others sold combined. It looks the best in both versions and is the best game of the lot.

Truth! But...I'm now starting to think it's possible...

That "fanbase" I'm talking about is mostly resellers. The numbers on these games were MUCH lower than the typically LRG release. If they only offered 1000 of Sab/Yar AND 1500 of Aqua I think it's highly possible they sold them all.

Worth mentioning I'd be more comfortable buying from LRG than Atari XP too. Honestly had I noticed I probably would have bought a Yars...I wouldn't trust that much scratch with AtariXP though... LRG has been late before but they always delivered my game.

If the total run was 1,983 (like the original announcement) that would leave around 500 of each game that Atari XP sold on their own, thats possible...

Of course it's all speculative though, guess we'll have to wait and see see how many hit ebay after the release haha

• Like 1

Per LRG, this isn't an LRG official release. They appear to have been a distribution partner only.  I wonder how appealing these were to their fans?

I don't think we know if the originally announced production numbers of 1983 ea. stand or if the lower numbers advertised by LRG are the total run. My guess is these are the LRG allocations and that Atari was able to move 983 Yar/Sab and less than 500 Aquaventure. I suppose we'll find out when someone posts their LTD. certificate.

I'm actually more curious about the Std numbers. Is it possible that Atari sold fewer of rhe $49 cart and manual? We may never have an answer to that question. ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, killersquirel said:

I remember the gathering that Aquaventure was first brought to and dumped in the 90s. It was an interesting time and by the morning the people that were there all got a copy of the rom in an email. 

The story behind it's dumping and release is interesting.  I'm sworn to secrecy, but those who were there may know the details.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tempest said:

The story behind it's dumping and release is interesting.  I'm sworn to secrecy, but those who were there may know the details.

I was there. I want to say that there was like maybe 8 to 10 people there at that time. This happened at like 2am or so. At the original NAVA meetings there were two groups of people. The early ones and the late ones. I would usually get to the store around 5 or 6pm and would be there sometimes until 6 or 7am. Those were good times. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 10:31 AM, KaeruYojimbo said:

It looks nice, but it gets old pretty quick. There's not much to the gameplay. I think Saboteur is far and away a better game.

Saboteur to me is prototypical late Atari 2600: a super convoluted series of challenges that try to add up to a compelling whole that can compete with then-modern microcomputer games, but as with Krull and other minigame gauntlet type games it feels a little forced. Yar’s Revenge, which is a lot more repetitive and “shallow”, is a far superior game.

Don’t get me wrong, I like it a lot. But what I am looking for in Atari 2600 games is very much the same thing over and over again with some variations and an increase in challenge. Frostbite is doing the same thing over and over again. Dolphin is doing the same thing over and over again. Seaquest is doing the same thing over and over again. Space Invaders and Pac-Man are doing the same things over and over again. Knocking a 2600 game for repetition is kind of like criticizing a Wario Ware game for randomness.

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, Tempest said:

Its all coming back to me now...

On 6/18/2022 at 9:31 AM, KaeruYojimbo said:

It looks nice, but it gets old pretty quick. There's not much to the gameplay. I think Saboteur is far and away a better game.

Oh totally, Sabateur is super playable and a damn good game!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Saboteur to me is prototypical late Atari 2600: a super convoluted series of challenges that try to add up to a compelling whole that can compete with then-modern microcomputer games, but as with Krull and other minigame gauntlet type games it feels a little forced. Yar’s Revenge, which is a lot more repetitive and “shallow”, is a far superior game.

Don’t get me wrong, I like it a lot. But what I am looking for in Atari 2600 games is very much the same thing over and over again with some variations and an increase in challenge. Frostbite is doing the same thing over and over again. Dolphin is doing the same thing over and over again. Seaquest is doing the same thing over and over again. Space Invaders and Pac-Man are doing the same things over and over again. Knocking a 2600 game for repetition is kind of like criticizing a Wario Ware game for randomness.

I don't see Saboteur as especially convoluted. The screen where you have to bounce your shots off the enemy is unintuitive, sure, but the core of try to stop the bad guys from building the missile then move onto the next screen feels natural and logical to me.

The problem I have with Aquaventure is the lack of variety. Despite looking different, all of the enemies behave the same except the little fast fish. The other games you mention do a much better job of making it feel like they've added things, even though really all they've done is tweak some behavior slightly or sped things up a little (and if you think I don't like games with the same thing over and over again with some variations and an increase in challenge, you clearly haven't played either of the Galactopus games).

• Like 1