IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

15 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

This was based on the early information they gave initially. It changed.

My orders have shipped!!

I am going to order the limited edition Yars Revenge and Gravitar. (Assuming the artwork is good.) I will live with the spine art OCD.

My order was supposed to be delivered today.  Had to leave the house briefly, got home, check the mailbox.  Stuffed full of junk, but no Atari package.  :(  Checked tracking and it got stalled at a nearby distribution center overnight.  Sigh.

• Sad 1

So good news is my standard edition Aquaventure arrived today, and the box looked nice along with the cart. The bad news is the cart doesn't play in any of my 2600s, tested on a long rainbow, 6 switch, 4 switch, and 7800. Additionally, the manual has a printing error where the writing about the history of Aquaventure is cut off and not completed on a subsequent page. 

273025348_AquaventureFront.thumb.jpg.6e7260fbc153e80855e35e80c2f64afc.jpg 1992552624_AquaventureBack.thumb.jpg.2991c6b81433ac077efd38542b660df9.jpg

218583362_AquaventureCartProfile.thumb.jpg.fe1704d40b6599ca9e20a095bb906d9f.jpg

20220903_114744.thumb.jpg.a7e9f11422654655ac36ff6112bbf9e6.jpg

I have video of it on a different television in an unlisted video here: 

I notice another person who received one, A Yars' Return, experienced a similar issue and mentioned it on Reddit: 

Anyone have a positive experience to share of the actual cart working through original hardware?

20220903_112132.jpg

Edited by Mockduck
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Good news: I got my Aquaventure cart today.  Box, cart, and manual look nice. 

Bad news: The cart doesn’t seem to work. Tried it so far on my 7800

and 5200 with adapter.  Guess I should try hooking up a 2600, but I’m not at all optimistic that will make a difference. 

Don’t love the manual contents either. Not only is there no explanation of the game variations, but the game factoids section is incomplete. (See photo)

25D062C3-C732-4A44-BC9E-CF74731D2EBC.jpeg

EDIT: Looks like I’m just confirming Mockduck’s findings.  Wow, unbelievable that the non-working carts are so widespread.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, DamonicFury said:

A little hard to believe they didn’t test these at all… BUT maybe they installed the PCBs backwards during cart assembly?  

EDIT: Confirmed this is exactly what happened. 

EBFFDF34-4A6C-48ED-AAA7-7B6330EB4B11.jpeg

Well, the label is rubbish anyway. Looks like they laminated it or something. I have air-bubbles in mine. Guess it wouldn't be a big deal to remove.

Edited by rsiddall
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Great quality control there.  I really feel bad for people spending their money on this shit.  I sure hope they make fix this.  Should have had Albert handle the carts, labels, manuals, and boxes.

Agree 100%.  Really makes you appreciate the level of effort Albert goes to, with the quality of every cart he's ever sold.  They all look brand new like they were manufactured yesterday, from the cases to the labels to the printing on everything.  This XP crap - well, it's what you get for supporting a sloppy, questionable, pseudo-scam company selling others' work for profit with no thanks to the folks that made all this possible in the first place.  I'm not saying I don't support buying retro atari stuff, I do... It's just a shame that all of our worst fears about XP turned out to be oh so true.

• Like 4

The Limited editions have turned out just fine.

The standard editions' though...

I'm sure this will be rectified.

The developers have worked on these games, and have beem credited and paid.

Stop lying.

This also shows that the game has been improved, proving that real effort has actually gone into these.

These are unique to ATARI XP.

Edited by Gunther
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Hydro Thunder.

I assume he's talking about the original developers of Yars' Revenge, Aquaventure, and Saboteur, but if those games were written by people employed by Atari at the time, they were already paid for working on them, so that's a non-issue.  I'm sure whoever worked on Yars' Return was paid, not sure if any significant changes were done to the other two. 

I won't really comment on all this further except to say I'm rather astounded at what's happened here, and I would be embarrassed if I ever released games and printed materials that have these issues.

..Al

• Like 11

Well, kind of glad I didn't get mine first.  I don't think I would have even thought about the PCB being upside down.  Mine's a standard edition, so we'll see when it gets here (as I go warm up my heat gun)!  :D

OK, I can get maybe not testing every single one in a large scale production, but I bet ANY sample size would have caught that issue...

And yes indeed, thank you Albert for the attention to detail over all the years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

Hydro Thunder.

If you're going to call me out for "lying", I'm going to ask you again point blank  - what is your financial or other professional involvement with this company?  I asked you months ago and you dropped off the board suddenly.

I'm not saying you're a shill - you've gone way beyond that point now by directly accusing me of lying.  I'm saying you're an employee of the company representing them without admitting to it.  So just admit to it.

"

The Limited editions have turned out just fine.

The standard editions' though...

I'm sure this will be rectified.

The developers have worked on these games, and have beem credited and paid.

Stop lying.

This also shows that the game has been improved, proving that real effort has actually gone into these.

These are unique to ATARI XP."

I mean, I could go line by line and accuse you of the same, but there's not much point until you answer my first question and tell the truth.

And get to work on interviewing each recipient of the Limited Editions to back up your first claim, then we'll move to the 2nd and so forth. :)

• Like 2

This is really unfortunate. I'm on the west coast so mine are still days away. I really want Atari to succeed with this initiative and hope the issue is not as widespread as it appears.  I can appreciate the disappointment of the folks who have received problem carts. This should not have happened. Even the copy (manual) and reported label quality issues are unacceptable. Let's see how Atari responds.

Also, on the VCS Discord, Atari reps have indicated that they are aware of the issue(s) and said to contact them.

"If you purchased one and have an issue make sure to send in a support request so we can get it fixed as soon as we have an update https://atari.com/pages/contact"

• Like 2