IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Yes, those boxes are a bit of a mess. 

I'd say that's an understatement!

2 hours ago, Nall3k said:

@Albert If Atari is going to continue to do these (which they've stated they will), they should seriously consider bringing people from here on as consultants to address these very issues.

I agree. So many of the AtariAge releases have done an excellent job of reproducing the various box and label styles that Atari used during the 2600's production run. If you consider that Aquaventure and Saboteur were supposed to be 1983 or 1984 releases, then it would be appropriate to use the style of box/label from that period. I've got a Saboteur similar to the one that @sramirez2008 posted earlier (also autographed by Howard Scott Warshaw), and I think it looks great. That's the kind of care and attention to detail that fans want. It would give buyers the confidence that they'd receive a high-quality product that they'd be proud to have in their collections.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Looks like they created new cover artwork directly based on the artwork David Exton created.  The title artwork appears to be used unchanged.  The story was also lifted right out of the Saboteur manual we created.  As far as I know, nobody was contacted in advance for permission to use these for this physical release.

..Al

Oh, so surprising. ?

• Like 1

All the thing looks so amateurish, the box designs and renders looks like somtehing an squirrel can do (and not even a smart squirrel). And the price for limited edition is so randomly high compared with games for current gen. Maybe there is some gas leak in atari hq or something.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The email I got was this with a few images that are in this thread:

INTRODUCING ATARI®XP
COLLECTIBLE GAME CARTRIDGES
Our first series of collectible Atari 2600 cartridges is available starting today!

Yars’ Return™, Saboteur® and Aquaventure™ … three unreleased gems now available for the first time. Atari XP premium cartridges are manufactured in the United States to exacting standards, with all new components, beveled edges to prevent pin damage, strong gold-plated connectors, and identical power draw to the originals.

All cartridges will include a digital copy of the game playable on the Atari VCS.
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Sure thing.  I changed it into a PDF file so it looks right.  I'm attaching it here.  It did come from Atari:  Atari (atarinewsletter@atari.com)

Thanks, someone forwarded me the email and I pasted it above.  There are a few differences, which is interesting.

..Al

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Albert said:

Thanks, someone forwarded me the email and I pasted it above.  There are a few differences, which is interesting.

..Al

I know I sound like a broken record, but they really need to get a designer to work on their sites and marketing materials. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Albert said:

Looks like they created new cover artwork directly based on the artwork David Exton created.  The title artwork appears to be used unchanged.  The story was also lifted right out of the Saboteur manual we created.  As far as I know, nobody was contacted in advance for permission to use these for this physical release.

..Al

So they stole my manual for a SECOND time?  Seriously?  Not like there's much I can do about it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

$50 2600 carts from the current 'modern' Atari is nothing more than a shady cash grab and a terrible attempt at that judging by the quality of renders provided via some press kit. $149 for a limited edition anything is absurd and proves that it's merely just that, a cash grab. Typical modern day Atari as expected which does nothing but deepen my disgust. Using my birth year to limit the number of overpriced limited edition copies does not gain any brownie points either mind you.

My entire opinion would have been different had they actually developed something NEW - titles previously unreleased in any iteration, but this is clearly not that nor will it ever be... because it's Atari.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

They issued at least two different emails with slightly different branding. For example, I got one email from Atari and another from Atari VCS and while the content is similar, it is slightly different. 

The least they could've done is source a physical 2600, controller and produce some genuine runs of these three titles to create a much more appealing and authentic media kit. Their render of the 2600 isn't even accurate, the font above the cart slot is really off and doesn't even have the TM (I've seen similar renders like this on Turbo Squid / iStock).

• Like 1