IGNORED

Atari VCS (retail deals/discount thread)

Mockduck

23 hours ago, zzip said:

I keep hearing people claim that mobile devices will overtake PCs/Consoles in power--  not unless you want a mobile device with a massive cooling device attached to the back of it!

Companies keep attempting to make "gaming phones" and yes, they have fans in them... problem is, touch screens are just as shitty for gaming as touch pads are.  Constantly rubbing your fingertips over stuff gets painful pretty quick, in my experience.  Granted that may be because I am old and my joints hurt all the time already.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, zzip said:

I keep hearing people claim that mobile devices will overtake PCs/Consoles in power--  not unless you want a mobile device with a massive cooling device attached to the back of it!

I heard about that for years, even believed it myself at a point. Truth is mobile devices suck for content creation. Gaming isn't much better. You're not going to be programming, developing, or writing the next NYT bestseller on one. And all mobile gaming does is distract you from where you are. Make a mobile device too big-oxen and clumsy and it isn't a mobile device anymore. Becomes semi-portable, something to be packed in a carry on.

To that end they've tried liquid cooling in portable devices. Ones with motors sucked. Passive heat pipes fare better. Wonder if they'll do linear induction "motors" that use a ferrofluid? Could have no moving parts..

• Like 1

Plus,

Does anybody remember that they worry that cellphones cause cancer?  Now that we all have them,  nobody talks about that anymore.  I'm not saying it is or isn't true...But TBH I don't overdo it.

Note:  Neither my Game Boy, GBA, DS, 3DS, nor Analogue Pocket cause cancer.  (And if they do...I don't care 😛 )

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Plus,

Does anybody remember that they worry that cellphones cause cancer?  Now that we all have them,  nobody talks about that anymore.  I'm not saying it is or isn't true...But TBH I don't overdo it.

Note:  Neither my Game Boy, GBA, DS, 3DS, nor Analogue Pocket cause cancer.  (And if they do...I don't care 😛 )

I did watch a thing that basically said 1 in 2 people have some form of cancer...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, leech said:

I did watch a thing that basically said 1 in 2 people have some form of cancer...

In an Atari forum, a conversation about retail discounts ends in the revelation that half of us have cancer. I wasn't ready for this when I opened up the thread. 😉

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/28/2023 at 9:28 PM, RadiATIon said:

Because I want to help Europeans acquire this machine, I import 10. This is the speakerhat Walnut Black all in bundle.  Normally it is sold 379.99 Usd excluding tax in the USA. When we add taxes, transport costs, customs clearance the price in euros reaches nearly 620 euros. I add the mickey plug to European plug adapter and update each console so that they are plug & play as soon as they are unboxed. I sell the package 400 euros plus shipping costs in UE. So it's very close to the official US price. 

If you are interested or know people in European Union who want to get this machine write me privately with your address that I tell you the shipping costs. 

If you prefer to kill 2 birds with one stone, come to the GemTOS convention in the north-east of Paris to pick it up. To register for this convention contact Emmanuel Huysman

Screenshot_20230228-213950~2.png

There are 3 consoles left out of the 10. Already 7 sold in 4 months. Finally I sell them 380 euros instead of 400. If you are interested or know people in European Union who want to get this machine write me privately with your address that I tell you the shipping costs.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 2:54 PM, chriSBA28 said:

Auction starting at $11. How much money do you think it ends? It can be a good offer 😁

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/174553177

ended at $220.  Which is only $5 cheaper than a brand new one:

https://atari.com/products/atari-vcs-onyx-all-in

Considering this.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, smoore said:

Are they not available at all in the UK?

I have one of the original ones - collector edition I think it's called - from the original campaign so probably just lucky.

Never released in the UK.

Sometimes they pop up on eBay but I'm not willing to pay £350+ (one currently listed for £600)

It would probably cost about the same to buy one in the US and pay for postage and import duties 

On 11/24/2023 at 7:53 AM, smoore said:

Are they not available at all in the UK?

I have one of the original ones - collector edition I think it's called - from the original campaign so probably just lucky.

They are not available at all in any country outside the U.S.  I think the issue lies with the packaging and original distribution methods.  The packaging only has English on it (not a problem for you in the U.K., but a big issue for the rest of Europe).  The original distribution was only via a U.S. warehouse, which, logistically, would be a nightmare to ship all around the world.  The original campaign allowed for international shipping through Indiegogo, but I imagine their cut of the profits and their shipping costs would be astronomical for Atari and not worth continuing after the campaign was fulfilled.

On 11/22/2023 at 8:39 PM, john_q_atari said:

They should put a disclaimer on the VCS for potential customers. Something like: "*You may be unable to purchase from the VCS store. This may never be fixed."

Just curious, is this a reference to the zip code issue I see discussed?  Don't have a VCS yet but considering the $180 BF sale.  Maybe.  IDK.