IGNORED

Atari VCS (retail deals/discount thread)

Mockduck

I picked up the All-In for $180 but I'm really not sure if I should have. Since I do have an xBox, I already have some of the older Atari compilations. Also, have the Atari 50 and some of the re-imagined games. There is a ton of info here but it is not easy to get through. Not sure what this system will give me that my other systems do not. PC mode doesn't seem like something that would add value for me. Guess I will see when it finally arrives.

1 hour ago, discotronic said:

I picked up the All-In for $180 but I'm really not sure if I should have. Since I do have an xBox, I already have some of the older Atari compilations. Also, have the Atari 50 and some of the re-imagined games. There is a ton of info here but it is not easy to get through. Not sure what this system will give me that my other systems do not. PC mode doesn't seem like something that would add value for me. Guess I will see when it finally arrives.

Same boat, but I didn't bite on the VCS yet.  Almost.  I like the classic controller's look, a LOT, and part of the value would've been that.  And honestly I thought the system itself looks super great (Vader would be my choice, love the red back too, the whole red / black theme).  But yes, the real question...what does it do that I can't get in at least as decent a way elsewhere?  And I don't know, really.  If they're going to release all the recharged series on Steam...and most of the games are on Atari 50...  and it doesn't play carts, and you can't add your own roms unless you go PC mode...IDK.  It will be interesting to see what they end up doing with it.  I could see it being a good system for someone that would rather use it than Steam for retro style games with flashy new looks, plus stuff like Amoeba Jump and Donut Dodo.  

14 minutes ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Same boat, but I didn't bite on the VCS yet.  Almost.  I like the classic controller's look, a LOT, and part of the value would've been that.  And honestly I thought the system itself looks super great (Vader would be my choice, love the red back too, the whole red / black theme).  But yes, the real question...what does it do that I can't get in at least as decent a way elsewhere?  And I don't know, really.  If they're going to release all the recharged series on Steam...and most of the games are on Atari 50...  and it doesn't play carts, and you can't add your own roms unless you go PC mode...IDK.  It will be interesting to see what they end up doing with it.  I could see it being a good system for someone that would rather use it than Steam for retro style games with flashy new looks, plus stuff like Amoeba Jump and Donut Dodo.  

Pretty sure someone was able to add roms on it.

16 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Same boat, but I didn't bite on the VCS yet.  Almost.  I like the classic controller's look, a LOT, and part of the value would've been that.  And honestly I thought the system itself looks super great (Vader would be my choice, love the red back too, the whole red / black theme).  But yes, the real question...what does it do that I can't get in at least as decent a way elsewhere?  And I don't know, really.  If they're going to release all the recharged series on Steam...and most of the games are on Atari 50...

For me it's a nice compact PC in console form in an attractive 2600-inspired case that fits well in the living room setup.  It runs all my old games via emulation, I have media players installed that beat out the ones you find in most set-top boxes, it can run Steam too.

But some people don't want to bother with PC Mode, and in that case you are limited to the 130 games (and growing) that Atari has made available in their store, only a few of which are exclusive or contain exclusive levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if there were different versions of the VCS for international markets, or are they all the same model?

I'm in New Zealand and I'm thinking about importing one as they're no longer available locally (although they were originally sold here at launch).

I'm just not sure if there are any power supply issues that would be a problem. It's mostly likely to come from the USA, and I'm assuming I would have to replace any power cable with a local one, but hopefully the unit is built to adapt to international power and isn't USA only?

2 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

Can anyone tell me if there were different versions of the VCS for international markets, or are they all the same model?

I'm in New Zealand and I'm thinking about importing one as they're no longer available locally (although they were originally sold here at launch).

I'm just not sure if there are any power supply issues that would be a problem. It's mostly likely to come from the USA, and I'm assuming I would have to replace any power cable with a local one, but hopefully the unit is built to adapt to international power and isn't USA only?

All of the VCS units are identical except for the three variations of the face plates.  It does have an international power supply.  You will only have to supply a short cable to your wall socket for it to work.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, zzip said:

For me it's a nice compact PC in console form in an attractive 2600-inspired case that fits well in the living room setup.  It runs all my old games via emulation, I have media players installed that beat out the ones you find in most set-top boxes, it can run Steam too.

But some people don't want to bother with PC Mode, and in that case you are limited to the 130 games (and growing) that Atari has made available in their store, only a few of which are exclusive or contain exclusive levels.

I mean, I even wrote an article about how the VCS is the best cloud gaming console. :) But there are way more than 130 games available if you are willing to use the multiple cloud gaming services available in AtariOS, and a ton more of course if you open up Chrome in AtariOS.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, rexreed said:

Most definetaly a scam. Here in the UK the Atari VCS 800 only shows up on eBay mostly for sale and it often sells for upwards of £350. I tried to click on your link but i don't recommend anyone else does it tried to hijack my Android phone.

I opened the link in a private browser window. They supposedly have 990 of them on hand. I doubt even Atari has that much stock of the all in bundles. The rest of their pages for items they have for sale have a lot of clothing. I looked up the physical address of the "store" on the website using Google Maps and it's an apartment building. Supposedly the store is open 09:00 to 18:00 Monday through Friday, but there's no store there. And, lastly, the "about" page looks like it was written by AI. So, yeah, I'd say that whole website is a scam.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up the all-in-one deal after they purchased Intellivision. It arrived yesterday and, after quite a bit of wrangling to get it updated, it's setup and running well. Now if I could just figure out how to get the spinner on the classic controller to work with Tempest, I'll be set. For whatever reason it always defaults to my mouse/keyboard and completely ignores the classic controller. 

On 6/1/2024 at 4:19 PM, sfish said:

I picked up the all-in-one deal after they purchased Intellivision. It arrived yesterday and, after quite a bit of wrangling to get it updated, it's setup and running well. Now if I could just figure out how to get the spinner on the classic controller to work with Tempest, I'll be set. For whatever reason it always defaults to my mouse/keyboard and completely ignores the classic controller. 

Which version of Tempest are you referring to?

1 hour ago, justclaws said:

Which version of Tempest are you referring to?

It's the arcade version that comes with the unit. Since I typed the message above, I was able to get it working!! 🙌 :) 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The VCS Store has 25%, 50% and a few mega discounts going on as of 8pm Eastern (-4 GMT) tonight (Friday, June 28th, 2024). I've gone through the entire VCS Store list and these are the discounts as far as I can tell:

Aiga Trio was 5.99 now 4.49
Akka Arrh was 19.99 now 9.99
Apolune 2 was 4.99 now 3.74
Asteroid v Claw was 7.19 now 5.39
Asteroids: Recharged was 9.99 now 4.50
Atari 50th was 29.99 now 19.49
Basketboom was 4.99 now 3.74
Berzerk: Recharged was 9.99 now 7.99
Black Widow: Recharged was 9.99 now 4.50
Breakout: Recharged was 9.99 now 4.00
Cash Cow DX was 5.99 now 4.49
Caverns of Mars: Recharged was 9.99 now 4.50
Centipede: Recharged was 9.99 now 4.00
Circus Interstellar was 9.99 now 7.49
Cosmic Panic was 9.99 now 2.00
Days of Doom was 29.99 now 14.99
Donut Dodo was 4.99 now 3.74
End's Reach was 14.99 now 11.24
Escape from PoPo was 6.99 now 3.50
Gravitar: Recharged was 9.99 now 4.50
Groundskeeper 2 was 8.99 now 6.74
Gunslugs 2 was 8.99 now 6.74
Gunslugs was 8.99 now 6.74
Haunted House was 19.99 now 12.99
Heroes of Loot 2 was 8.99 now 6.74
Heroes of Loot was 8.49 now 6.37
Kombinera was 14.99 now 4.50
Lunar Lander Beyond was 29.99 now 23.99
Meganoid was 8.99 now 6.74
Metgan's Multiball was 9.99 now 8.99
Missile Command: Recharged 9.99 was 4.50
Neosprint was 14.99 now 13.49
Pedra Crystal Caves was 3.99 now 2.99
Qomp 2 was 19.99 now 14.99
Quantum Recharged was 9.99 now 7.49
Residual was 12.99 now 9.74
Sigi: A Far for Mulusina was 4.99 now 3.74
Sir Lovelot was 9.99 now 7.49
Snake Core was 8.99 now 6.74
Space Grunts was 14.99 now 11.24
Stardash was 8.99 now 6.74
Tanks, But No Tanks was 7.99 now 5.99
Tempest 4000 was 19.99 now 4.00
Tile Cross was 2.99 now 2.24
Timeline Mission! was 5.99 now 1.50
Yars Recharged was 9.99 now 4.50

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, OscarGungan said:

Is there any advantage to playing the recharged games on the VCS like extra missions? Tempted by Breakout Recharged because of the paddle feature on the classic controller.

They're just ports of the versions you get anywhere else. I know, I have them on PC, XBOX and on the VCS. 🤣

Breakout Recharged with the classic controller using the paddle feature is great.

10 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

They're just ports of the versions you get anywhere else. I know, I have them on PC, XBOX and on the VCS. 🤣

Breakout Recharged with the classic controller using the paddle feature is great.

Very cool. I’m going to try it. 

34 minutes ago, OscarGungan said:

Is there any advantage to playing the recharged games on the VCS like extra missions? Tempted by Breakout Recharged because of the paddle feature on the classic controller.

There's extra content exclusive to the Atari VCS 800 in some of the Recharged games, like levels and such and being able to play with the Classic Joystick is always an added bonus, if your looking to play like back in the day. I personally prefer to play all the Recharged games on my Atari VCS. I own them all for the other platforms but its nice to just sit down and play them on the VCS using the Joystick and admiring the Fugi logo glowing in the dark...