IGNORED

Open Lara engine on the ATARI Jaguar

Gunther

1 hour ago, Otto1980 said:

what 3D model optimizig you are doing?
what specs on the models are beneficial for this 3d engine?

You have to ask @Eternal-Krauser about that. Changes are being made to the models, as well as to the textures. I guess one obvious optimization is to get rid of unneeded polygons (e.g. overly smooth surfaces that look smooth anyway due to gouraud-shading)?

As I mentioned before, large textured surfaces close to the screen degrades the performance notably. So the fill speed seems to be a bottleneck. 

Edited by phoboz

1 hour ago, cubanismo said:

Have you tried rendering two models at once in the same scene yet? I'm wondering if there's major setup overhead there or if it's all going to get buried in fill-rate like the single model test case seems to be.

I should really change this part of the implementation before even attempting to do that.

(E.g. to avoid reloading the whole renderer for every model)

The first game is going to be an arcade like dogfight game, so probably there won't be a need to render more than one ship on the screen at the same time. That's how they did it for the Spacewar 2000 prototype. Everything else you see on the screen (besides from the ship you are fighting) are scaled sprites, or normal sprites in that prototype.

I'd rather start by making something fun using this engine, than spend my whole life to make this the most generic 3D engine in the world ?

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fredifredo said:

does it work on VJ emulator ? 

I have just tried it, and answer is no.

VJ-Rx & the Russian Jag emulator stuck on a yellow screen, and VJ just crash.

Also, the code at $4022 writes a value ($48e0) at the $200020 memory address.

Edited by dilinger

41 minutes ago, dilinger said:

I have just tried it, and answer is no.

VJ-Rx & the Russian Jag emulator stuck on a yellow screen, and VJ just crash.

Also, the code at $4022 writes a value ($48e0) at the $200020 memory address.

I've tried to run JV-RX into a virtual machine (win XP and win10) and it doesn't work.

Does the debugger shows a disassembly of the code when it hangs?

3 minutes ago, swapd0 said:

I've tried to run JV-RX into a virtual machine (win XP and win10) and it doesn't work.

Does the debugger shows a disassembly of the code when it hangs?

Not really, I added a couple of catch / detection about potential crash or freeze and display a box to alert.

image.thumb.png.09c357a538aa9b124f4f1c93586621a1.png

I don't get a yellow screen on my GD, it simply doesn't start... like 90% of everything I've tried on my GD. Very few things actually run. Tube 2020 runs, but Tube and Tube SE don't, for example, despite being almost identical from a program point of view. I wonder if it's a matter of the SD card filesystem. I know GD has problems with lots of cards and also with files that are fragmented. Makes me wonder what filesystem the menu uses. I'd recommend moving to Elm-chan's FatFS. I used that for the various Neo Myth menus on a number of platforms, like the Genesis and the N64. A modified version of their PetitFS was used for the Master System and SNES menus.

EDIT: To note, I'm using the latest firmware according to the download link page. I do say, however, that the previous firmware worked better. I could run more files than the latest; in fact, many that used to work, like the Bad Apple GD demo, no longer work. They all just hang immediately after loading. I'm tempted to downgrade the firmware.

Edited by Chilly Willy
more info

1 minute ago, dilinger said:

Not really, I added a couple of catch / detection about potential crash or freeze and display a box to alert.

image.thumb.png.09c357a538aa9b124f4f1c93586621a1.png

That is $20 bytes outside the RAM, it doesn't matter but at $4022 is the startup code. I set the endian of GPU & DSP, set the stack, and then a bunch of jsr.

22 minutes ago, Chilly Willy said:

I don't get a yellow screen on my GD, it simply doesn't start... like 90% of everything I've tried on my GD. Very few things actually run. Tube 2020 runs, but Tube and Tube SE don't, for example, despite being almost identical from a program point of view. I wonder if it's a matter of the SD card filesystem. I know GD has problems with lots of cards and also with files that are fragmented. Makes me wonder what filesystem the menu uses. I'd recommend moving to Elm-chan's FatFS. I used that for the various Neo Myth menus on a number of platforms, like the Genesis and the N64. A modified version of their PetitFS was used for the Master System and SNES menus.

EDIT: To note, I'm using the latest firmware according to the download link page. I do say, however, that the previous firmware worked better. I could run more files than the latest; in fact, many that used to work, like the Bad Apple GD demo, no longer work. They all just hang immediately after loading. I'm tempted to downgrade the firmware.

I need to check mine. I haven't had a chance with a move and getting stuff out if storage. I'm not updating it though. Whatever it's got on it that's what it's going to be. Providing it actually works. They gotta iron this stuff out otherwise the Skunkbiard will still be the go-to thing.

I tried repositioning the cart, and things that worked before are working again. Apparently, the GD is rather touchy on some cart connectors. Now I get the yellow screen others report on trying to run OpenLara. Weird how just a tiny bit of jiggling the cart makes things work or fail... especially weird that some things still work at all. You'd think that it was more an all or nothing sort of deal, but even at the same exact rom size, some work, and some don't. So if things start acting weird, I suggest readjusting the cart and seeing if that helps any. It did mine.

• Thanks 1