IGNORED

Xeno Crisis, and games like it on the Jaguar.

Gunther

Bitmap Bureau's quality twin-stick shooter has enjoyed ports to the Neo-Geo, Dreamcast, and modern platforms.
As the Jaguar only has Llamatron and Total Carnage, Xeno Crisis would make a welcome addition to the Jaguar's library.

Leave a like or comment if you agree: https://m.facebook.com/groups/jaguarfans/permalink/4862513937173018/?m_entstream_source=group&ref=m_notif&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

ss_07e6c44bad9e73b8af8428a6e5d53e5d0e7cbffc.1920x1080.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg

xc_0.png

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Gunther said:

That looks great!

Any sort of time-frame before its completion?

Thanks.

This was a 2/3 days test of Jagstudio (to be honest, it was the second test, so not starting from scratch).

2 players, rooms are flexible (walls, ennemies), multiple weapons & ammo, health, no boss yet...

But still lot of work to do (in fact, most of the work still to do)

Right now, I focus on my tactical rogue like Lynx & Game Boy, then I want to make a full game for the Jaguar, this is of course one of the candidate...

• Like 6

Just now, Fadest said:

Thanks.

This was a 2/3 days test of Jagstudio (to be honest, it was the second test, so not starting from scratch).

2 players, rooms are flexible (walls, ennemies), multiple weapons & ammo, health, no boss yet...

But still lot of work to do (in fact, most of the work still to do)

Right now, I focus on my tactical rogue like Lynx & Game Boy, then I want to make a full game for the Jaguar, this is of course one of the candidate...

Keep working on it.

How will you implement the twin-stick controls?

The Pro-Controller has a nice diamond of action buttons that would be perfect, but the three-button would need to use simplified controls, or the use of the Keypad.

• Like 4

Right now, I use 3 buttons (1 is like Llamatron on ST _ keeps firing in direction when it was pressed, 1 is firing in the direction you are moving)
The game is also on hold because I am waiting for a Pro Controller (with Gravitic Mines bundle) to test the 4 direction setup

I ddid not test the keypad option, but I am not sure to like it. I know Total Carnage use it, so I may have to test TC during a next AC or RGC show

• Like 3

Make sure to add lots of sprite-scaling and rotation effects ;).

Having enemies drop into the rooms would really change-up the gameplay for games like Xeno Crisis.

This would help to showcase the Jaguar's abilities, especially coupled with good lighting-effects.

Having rooms with broken/faulty/stroboscopic lighting would add a different dynamic to the gameplay.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gunther said:

Having enemies drop into the rooms would really change-up the gameplay for games like Xeno Crisis.

This would help to showcase the Jaguar's abilities, especially coupled with good lighting-effects.

Having rooms with broken/faulty/stroboscopic lighting would add a different dynamic to the gameplay.

It would be fun to see someone program some new sprite effects that are unique to the Jag. "Melting" enemy pixels or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Atlantis said:

If it runs silk smooth on Neo Geo would it be impossible to run as silk smooth on Jaguar? I have no idea, just looking at it. 

It's a Genesis port that does not push the Neogeo much, let alone the Jaguar. It's multi single screen, no scrolling or parallax. Latest homebrews are pushing the Jaguar much more than this would do.

So technically, it's not a problem, the issue is licensing and getting the source code and assets.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gunther said:

Since all versions are more or less identical, I guess BB would only allow a 1:1 port.

Which would be sensational. Adding extra eye candy might be possible, but it would remain the same game.

Jaguar could display more colors, but that would mean retouching some of the graphics, maybe for worse. I think the gfx are perfect as they are. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Since all versions are more or less identical, I guess BB would only allow a 1:1 port.

Which would be sensational. Adding extra eye candy might be possible, but it would remain the same game.

Jaguar could display more colors, but that would mean retouching some of the graphics, maybe for worse. I think the gfx are perfect as they are. 

I agree that it's perfect as it is.

These could be cool additions to Fadest's WIP.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I agree that it's perfect as it is.

These could be cool additions to Fadest's WIP.

Even with all the colors of Jaguar, it's almost impossible to beat the artwork of a legend like Nieborg! Its all about the abilties of the artist, that will trump hardware power any day.

So, its very reasonable to program a similar engine, but very unlikely to get artwork of that caliber....

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Even with all the colors of Jaguar, it's almost impossible to beat the artwork of a legend like Nieborg! Its all about the abilties of the artist, that will trump hardware power any day.

So, its very reasonable to program a similar engine, but very unlikely to get artwork of that caliber....

I imagine he charges a pretty penny too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

I think they should add predator mode to it. I can only really enjoy my games in strange modified color schemes that don't enhance the game play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

In all sincerity though, I think their art style is really great and modifying it to add more colors wouldn't really do anything to help the overall design of this game since it was designed to look this way to begin with.