IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

10 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

The Irony of that would be delicious.  They basically deny the Switch even Exists.  Any mention of it in some of those early forums were met with hostility and MARKET RESEARCH. 

Amico fans would never Decide. To. Buy. A. Switch.  Silly human.  MARKET RESEARCH.  Can you do Family Friendly Couch Co-op Multiplayer on a Switch?  Yeah, ...might as well buy a used Wii.  Ha!! No one would ever do that.  ... and No one will ever save up more for a PS5.  Whole different market...Amico fans only want an Amico.  MARKET RESEARCH proves it!  Do you have MARKET RESEARCH?   That's what I thought.

And don't worry about Money,  we have Millions...

(Paraphrased...Since I'm going off of memory here)

This this this this this.

Not to go off board on the big Will It or Won't It arrive...but I'm in a phase of "Even If It Does Arrive Who Is This For?".  Sure, some of us here in this community; nostalgia for the Intellivision brand, the remade old-style games, sure.  But that's roughly the 6700 people mentioned in kevtris' post.  Not nearly enough to succeed.  I don't get the "Family Friendly" thing (they seem to think it's going to make them the Wii, as GL said, failing to acknowledge that the Wii came and went, and now there's the Switch...).  I like the idea of simple games, I'm not into MMORPG or FPS or that biz.  But I've got an Evercade, and an iiRcade, and a Switch.  If you have a family of younger kids, are you really going to say no to the Switch because it offers some mature content?  It's just a very convoluted marketing placement.  On top of all the other issues.  I honestly wish they would get bought out (on the CHEAP) by someone like Blaze, or even Atari (ok no not the current Atari lol) or AtGames, who could take the games in development and this idea and steer it correctly (likely with a fairly complete rethinking of what's gone on up to this point).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I thought it was  Shark! Shark! Tank Battle.

Actually the Amico Tank game I was kinda looking forward to trying. Of course it wasnt a true sequel to Wii Tanks (best tank game ever)  but might of been fun for a quick round. 

The Shark remake will never be as fun as Mattel Intellivision Shark Shark. IMO 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rev said:

Actually the Amico Tank game I was kinda looking forward to trying. Of course it wasnt a true sequel to Wii Tanks (best tank game ever)  but might of been fun for a quick round. 

The Shark remake will never be as fun as Mattel Intellivision Shark Shark. IMO 

Bomb Squad was the game I was most looking forward to as a family game.  That sounded like a lot of fun.

But Night Stalker and AD&D were top on my list.

5 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

INTV is (or was) a different company. 

The Amico was dreamed up by Intellivision Entertainment (or IE for short) 

Has IE been referring to themselves as INTV? I wouldn't think so, but I've not followed them so maybe I am incorrect. 

That is correct, but many people online have used INTV to refer to IE just because its easier to understand what we are talking about. When someone posts the acronym "IE", it makes me think of Internet Explorer which is probably why I don't always use it when referring to Intellivision. 

Edited by SegaSnatcher

4 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

This this this this this.

Not to go off board on the big Will It or Won't It arrive...but I'm in a phase of "Even If It Does Arrive Who Is This For?".  Sure, some of us here in this community; nostalgia for the Intellivision brand, the remade old-style games, sure.  But that's roughly the 6700 people mentioned in kevtris' post.  Not nearly enough to succeed.  I don't get the "Family Friendly" thing (they seem to think it's going to make them the Wii, as GL said, failing to acknowledge that the Wii came and went, and now there's the Switch...).  I like the idea of simple games, I'm not into MMORPG or FPS or that biz.  But I've got an Evercade, and an iiRcade, and a Switch.  If you have a family of younger kids, are you really going to say no to the Switch because it offers some mature content?  It's just a very convoluted marketing placement.  On top of all the other issues.  I honestly wish they would get bought out (on the CHEAP) by someone like Blaze, or even Atari (ok no not the current Atari lol) or AtGames, who could take the games in development and this idea and steer it correctly (likely with a fairly complete rethinking of what's gone on up to this point).

IE has only managed to get 6,000 or so preorders since 2020.   Two years worth of preorders and that is the best they could do, so clearly its appealing to a very niche market.  

I'm pretty sure they will need to sell a lot more than 6K units to make their money back let alone make any profit.

Any investor coming in should want to know that number.  "So wait, you've only managed to get 6,000 people interested in your console after two years and you want us to invest millions into this project?"

And I think the excuse of "The Real marketing hasn't started yet" as an explanation for the low preorder numbers just needs to stop. The moment they announced the console, did interviews and posted videos their marketing started. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Investors will also look at purchase orders from retailers which brings the number to around 100k units.  And yes there will need to be some marketing effort to move those units.  The "more than 6000" number is direct preorders and didn't include preorders customers made through Gamestop, Amazon, and other retailers.  So total preorders would have been higher.

35 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

That is correct, but many people online have used INTV to refer to IE just because its easier to understand what we are talking about. When someone posts the acronym "IE", it makes me think of Internet Explorer which is probably why I don't always use it when referring to Intellivision. 

Whenever I see INTV, I think of the company that existed from 1985 to 1990.  I like the abbreviation IE.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Investors will also look at purchase orders from retailers which brings the number to around 100k units.  And yes there will need to be some marketing effort to move those units.  The "more than 6000" number is direct preorders and didn't include preorders customers made through Gamestop, Amazon, and other retailers.  So total preorders would have been higher.

Whenever I see INTV, I think of the company that existed from 1985 to 1990.  I like the abbreviation IE.

So from my understanding the priority of manufacturing is Founder's Edition, VIP and then full retail units, correct?

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

I'm guessing the company and assets will be cheaper at some point in the future, if the company falls apart completely.

I'll say this much, the fire sale should be interesting. I wonder what IP will be sold and who will end up with it.

1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I'll say this much, the fire sale should be interesting. I wonder what IP will be sold and who will end up with it.

I genuinely wonder how much value those IPs have when they haven't generated serious profit for decades.  I guess the recent Evercade Intellivision compilation game carts are the most recent way to gauge value?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

I genuinely wonder how much value those IPs have when they haven't generated serious profit for decades.  I guess the recent Evercade Intellivision compilation game carts are the most recent way to gauge value?

I'd suspect they're less valuable than the Atari IP for sure, but there's likely someone willing to buy. I'd say that unlike Atari it's possible that a group of retro enthusiasts could pool resources and actually buy one or two of them.

During DJC's most recent stream where he had John Alvarado on, I actually asked if all 6 pack in games were finished and this was his answer.  I think this is important info since those games obviously have to be finished before systems can go into manufacturing.  BTW, I think John Alvarado is a breath of fresh air for the company. I think he's doing an overall good job answering questions even if he can't answer everything or go too much into detail. I think INTV should stick with John Alvarado as the face of Amico going forward.   

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

"Even If It Does Arrive Who Is This For?".  Sure, some of us here in this community; nostalgia for the Intellivision brand, the remade old-style games, sure.  

I was interested in this more from a family casual aspect. The software isn't there for that though. It's a nostalgia bait console IMO. I know people hate the Switch comparison, but they have those titles. My wife loves the casual games Switch offers and actually plays it more at this point than I do (CG51, Carcassonne, AC, and Dr. Mario). It even has some great options for my kid. And before someone mentions the Sesame Street games I can already play those on a $28 tablet with my kid. I don't need to spend 10x that to do it.

16 hours ago, Rev said:

You could play the free to play World of Tanks. I hear they may share some similarities. ??

13 hours ago, Rev said:

If the quiet time is over, will the deep dives resume?

Do you think it is over, or that they are trying to rope in an investor? Hansen has had a black unit he has demoed months ago. So I suspect this unboxing video wasn't super new.

7 hours ago, SegaSnatcher said:

During DJC's most recent stream where he had John Alvarado on, I actually asked if all 6 pack in games were finished and this was his answer.  I think this is important info since those games obviously have to be finished before systems can go into manufacturing. 

I noticed Back Talk Party was running in debug mode. Cornhole looked super laggy so I hope they get that fixed.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:05 PM, Rev said:

I was hoping to get an Atari VCS on sale this past season. Havent checked on prices, Will get one one day.

It's back on sale at Micro Center for $249.99 (regularly $399.99), in-store only. If you don't have one convenient to your location, or if you'd rather not venture into a Micro Center store, Best Buy will price match through their website (can be done via the chat function with an agent) and will ship it to you for free.

• Like 4

So this is the type of thing that is bothersome. There is zero QA. This is the equivalent of misspelling your own name on your homework.

GradedWork.thumb.jpg.0e147a93dbfd11375f36f53635f95c41.jpg

Also they should have taken the time to cut the red lines better and cut out the holes for the controller bumps. 

This does not instill hope in their edutainment games.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

So this is the type of thing that is bothersome. There is zero QA. This is the equivalent of misspelling your own name on your homework.

Don't worry, they did that, too; I noticed there is a Tommy Tailarico mentioned in one of those legal documents that I skimmed through without actually reading.

• Haha 4

The unboxing video seems very disingenuous and reeks of the smoke-and-mirrors tactics that Mike Kennedy and his team employed in the dying days of the Chameleon.

Bottomline, it's not a production unit.  Why even post a video of unboxing something that isn't the real deal?  It's like me taking a prototype Xbox and making my own box, filming it, and then saying 'hey guys, look at this unboxing video lol!'

This Alvarado guy has no business being in his role.  He and Kennedy should collaborate as they seem fascinated with only promotional and marketing aspects of the business.  Good lord.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1