IGNORED

Is the Amico dead?

Tinman

3 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Coleco Chameleon: had a shell, and a bench with some equipment. Completion estimate opinion (could be wrong, but not likely): 0 to 2%. "Hopes and Dreams"TM: infinite.

Intellivision Amico: that "more money" did get them a lot further, as far as hardware and software goes. Completion estimate guess/opinion (could easily be wrong) : 10 to 50%.

We could add the Atari (new) VCS: nothing revolutionary in my opinion, but hey, they got the job done.

You could probably take an Amico prototype, download a dozen or so games, maybe more, play them without issue.

9 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Coleco Chameleon:  "Hopes and Dreams"TM: infinite.

This fits Amico too. I mean the whole "Wouldn't that be something?" Is a way to generate hype and get people excited over things that may never or will never happen.

Being open and honest saying, "No that isn't going to happen," doesn't encourage people to blow money to help pay your loans off.

Maybe the console will release here in two days? Wouldn't that be something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, mr_me said:

download a dozen or so games, 

With what backend? It isn't complete. If you have to hack it to add your own apps you might as well buy a Banana Pi M3 or similar SBC.

I could put a SNES board in a jag shell and play Chrono Trigger but that doesn't make it any more complete. Placeholder game and placeholder board for a prototype. 

• Like 2

Don't know what part of the backend is not complete but the online game store works.  You can buy a banana pi but it's not an Amico.

They took Amicos to events and people's homes last year where people played more than a dozen Amico games.  That was more than six months ago.  According to the recent sec disclosure, the hardware is 100% complete.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

Don't know what part of the backend is not complete but the online game store works.  You can buy a banana pi but it's not an Amico.

They took Amicos to events and people's homes last year where people played more than a dozen Amico games.  That was more than six months ago.  According to the recent sec disclosure, the hardware is 100% complete.

John Alvarado said the store isn't active yet so I don't know where you think it works.

The units they've been showing off are not retail units with various different firmware that only have certain games optimized on them. Even the unboxing video is not a retail ready unit.

A SBC might not carry the name Amico but it's also finalized can use Android and will have a wider ability to do something. They still haven't passed their FCC certs and it has been mentioned by the CFO of them gutting the console (slim model), so I wouldn't jump to the hardware being done just yet.

I really don't think they will do a redesign since they don't even have the money to run a free spell checker on their console insert, or hire someone who could do a proper French translation.

And you are right a banana pi is a product that exists to be purchased, and has the ability to bring families together by playing games. Which Amico can't seem to get past the "Wouldn't that be something" stage. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I've no skin in this game, but "isn't active yet" does not mean it doesn't work. Maybe it just means it isn't active.

"It's operational now.  The store works, you can buy games, you can redeem games."  This is what the CTO has said.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

With what backend? It isn't complete. If you have to hack it to add your own apps you might as well buy a Banana Pi M3 or similar SBC.

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

And you are right a banana pi is a product that exists to be purchased, and has the ability to bring families together by playing games.

Is that a banana in your pocket, Or are you just happy to see me? - MR bean  | Meme Generator

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, 5-11under said:

We could add the Atari (new) VCS: nothing revolutionary in my opinion, but hey, they got the job done.

Yeah, the Atari VCS is a comparative triumph.  I was almost tempted to get the bundle, when it's been on sale for $250.  It seemed like a hassle to install Windows and the Bluetooth is apparently buggy, so I skipped it.  Still, it exists and the store is still running; that's something. 

Incidentally, I really like Centipede Recharged. 

4 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Gamestop tried to charge me for my Amico preorder. They couldn't do it.

My credit card has since expired in the two years since pre-ordering.

Oh well!?

Yep, it looks like they authorized my card as well today.  Oddly, their website is still showing 03/31/22 as the release date.  I think the authorization will just drop off once their system realizes that they have no stock.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bojay1997 said:

Yep, it looks like they authorized my card as well today.  Oddly, their website is still showing 03/31/22 as the release date.  I think the authorization will just drop off once their system realizes that they have no stock.  

Nah, you'll probably get it tomorrow.  ?

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

They said they were aiming to release in Q1 in their FAQ. 

That's different than saying it would ship as was claimed.  A target date would need confirmation, since phrasing it that way means it is not known if the date will be achieved.

There is no way this product can ever have a successful launch, it isn't dead but it should be. Amico should have folded a year ago and refunded everyone's money now they're going to fold and leave a bad taste in folk's mouths by not giving them their money back before they dissolve. Their failure to act responsibly by their customers is going to have a chilling effect on legitimate efforts at creating new-age retro consoles for years to come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, harmonyFM said:

There is no way this product can ever have a successful launch, it isn't dead but it should be. Amico should have folded a year ago and refunded everyone's money now they're going to fold and leave a bad taste in folk's mouths by not giving them their money back before they dissolve. Their failure to act responsibly by their customers is going to have a chilling effect on legitimate efforts at creating new-age retro consoles for years to come.

Agreed on the refund and timing.

As far as the future goes, I'm not sure. I hope it just means that companies need to get money from investors, if required. Potential investors will calculate the risks/benefit, and decide accordingly. Individuals who "bought in" or "pre-ordered" were basically investors, where many of them likely just wanted to be customers. The console wasn't for me, but even if it was, I likely would have waited until the product was 95 or probably 100% ready to go. Bottom line: weigh the risks and benefit (of buying in right away, or of not buying in right away).

• Like 1

Preorders were never required to buy an Amico nor were they required to manufacture Amicos.  Deposits were only a fraction of the purchase price of an Amico, totalling only about $600k.  That's a tiny fraction of what they've raised from investors.