IGNORED

BackBit cartridge on the Intellivision

evietron

Thanks, but that didn't do the trick. :(

dropzone:bin2ecs dz$ sudo easy_install pathlib
Password:
Searching for pathlib
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pathlib/
Couldn't find index page for 'pathlib' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
No local packages or download links found for pathlib
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pathlib')

This is getting to be more trouble than it's worth.  Why not just add support for BIN+CFG separately, or one of the already established and documented formats, like luigi?

Anyway, although I appreciate your help, I am not really interested in going down this rabbit hole.  All I wanted was to run some ROMs on the console, some of which use bank-switching.  (Believe it or not, using the CC3 with its arcane interface, is a lot easier so far -- and that's even when I have to attach it to a special hardware PCB widget and a JLP test card to add support for JLP features!)

I also have an RTO ... I'll give that one a go ...

-dZ.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, RockLobster said:

I have Coleco's Lady Bug and I know that works on my INTV2 but did your Donkey Kong and Venture work on it somehow?   I've come across different lists of which Coleco games worked on the INTV2 and which ones were blocked.

To my surprise, Donkey Kong and other Coleco games worked on the Backbit Pro.  :D

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 3.18.16 PM.jpg

Only version of Venture I got to work on MY SPS was the UK version.

But the UK Carnival version did not.  

14 hours ago, DZ-Jay said:

Thanks, but that didn't do the trick. :(

dropzone:bin2ecs dz$ sudo easy_install pathlib
Password:
Searching for pathlib
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pathlib/
Couldn't find index page for 'pathlib' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
No local packages or download links found for pathlib
error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('pathlib')

I also have an RTO ... I'll give that one a go ...

-dZ.

RTO supports BIN+CFG files! 😜

backbit is a multiconsole multicart, that's why it needs to use some custom ways to handle inty roms, i suppose.

1 hour ago, aotta said:

RTO supports BIN+CFG files! 😜

Thanks!  I'll give it a whirl today.

1 hour ago, aotta said:

backbit is a multiconsole multicart, that's why it needs to use some custom ways to handle inty roms, i suppose.

I suppose.  Although I cannot fathom why the firmware patch to support Intellivision should not support, er, the most common Intellivision conventions.  It reminds me of this ...

standards.png

Anyway, for its original intended purpose (to wit: to play the original games, supporting home-brews and special features seem to have been an afterthought), it works rather well since you can just plop a ROM in and off you go -- and converting BIN+CFG to ROM format is sort of de rigueur anyway with the standard tools that come with jzIntv.

-dZ.

Technically the Intellivision was just an afterthought. The Backbit was originally just a Commodore 64 flash cart. Then Evie got the idea to make it for multiple systems. 

I don't have a Mac so It may not as easy as it is with Windows. It's still not super easy. Some games you need to use Bin2rom. And some Bin2ecs. Some games still need to be converted using the command line but not that many. 

I recently got A Tale of Dragons and Swords working by setting the -j flag using the command line. And someone else got Defender of the Crown working using the same processes. I did see that  someone could not get Operation Cloudfire working. I don't own that one to test. But there is always a chance Evie could get it working as well. 

One thing you can't dispute is the customer service Evie supply's is top notch. But not sure how often she browses Atari Age. Usually you have to email her or go to the Backbit forums. She may even be able to help with this. 

I can also report that Star Mercenary and Anthropomorphic Force also work on the Backbit. You will have to convert them using the command line and setting the -j flag. If you just use Bin2ecs without the command line Star Mercenary will still load but graphics will be missing and the game won't work right. 

Edited by IntellivisionDude

5 hours ago, IntellivisionDude said:

I can also report that Star Mercenary and Anthropomorphic Force also work on the Backbit. You will have to convert them using the command line and setting the -j flag. If you just use Bin2ecs without the command line Star Mercenary will still load but graphics will be missing and the game won't work right. 

Appreciate the info IntellivisionDude!  I have a BackBit Pro as well and your information really helps in deciding which roms I can download.  And I agree.  Evie's support is top notch.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 3:46 PM, DZ-Jay said:

Thanks.  Is there a binary for Mac?  I tried running the python script and I get an error:

dropzone:bin2ecs dz$ ./bin2ecs.py 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./bin2ecs.py", line 48, in <module>
    from pathlib import Path
ImportError: No module named pathlib

-dZ.

Have you tried WINE to run Windows programs on MacOS.

15 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Have you tried WINE to run Windows programs on MacOS.

Nope, not interested.  Thanks.

I have many incomplete projects that I rather work on.  I do not need another one just to play some games.

-dZ.

For us Backbit users there is a new Bin2ecs that Evie compiled. Using the new Bin2ecs is necessary to get Infiltrator, Operation Cloudfire and The Pandora Incident working. They wouldn't convert correctly with the older version. They will have to converted with the command line and set the -j flag. https://github.com/evietron/BackBit-Convert/blob/main/Intellivision/dist/bin2ecs.exe

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IntellivisionDude said:

For us Backbit users there is a new Bin2ecs that Evie compiled. Using the new Bin2ecs is necessary to get Infiltrator, Operation Cloudfire and The Pandora Incident working. They wouldn't convert correctly with the older version. They will have to converted with the command line and set the -j flag. https://github.com/evietron/BackBit-Convert/blob/main/Intellivision/dist/bin2ecs.exe

Thank you for this heads up. I wish Evie was set up to send such announcements out to Backbit INTV Forum Members via their email addresses. I'm just thankful that I follow this Topic to catch such announcements here and that you cared enough to submit it. I've now downloaded the new Bin2ecs.exe. 😊

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a bump for this great product. (This is not a paid endorsement. I get nothing for this but i'm just a fan of it)

The Backbit has been able to play every Intellivision game i have. Even Homebrews. It even plays games with math routines like Fubar that people thought it could not do. Some games need to be converted to play but 99% of them are easy drag and drop conversions. A very very small handful of games need to converted with the Windows command line but that is not many at all and i have a tutorial on how to do that. With recent firmware updates not as many games need to converted with the command line. And once in a while a new Homebrew may need it's CFG file modified to get the game working but Evie has been able to help with that on the Backbit forum. 

I have 500+ roms (games/demos/hacks) on my Backbit and everything plays. And JLP games that have a save feature also save on the Backbit. 

One last thing is you can buy separate adapters for other classic consoles and computers. That's a plus if you collect other systems. I currently have 7 adapters myself. You can check out everything here. https://store.backbit.io/product/backbit-pro/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evie just added support for the ECS Keyboard so now you can use it to rename files and use it to search for roms in folders. Also use the arrow keys to cycle through roms and folders, RTN to select and ESC to go back. Not sure what else it can do. But that's what i found so far. Download Firmware 3.7.6

Some functions need to be used in combination with the Intellivision controller. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, MattelAquarius said:

self-control when it comes to picking adapters

I know I'm really kinda looking forward to the new pending batch of LTOs to come out so I can repurpose my Backbit to use with my C64..   The backbit is fantastic in place of the LTO but if/when one of those becomes available, I could move it to another system..   

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, 8bitwidgets.com said:

I know I'm really kinda looking forward to the new pending batch of LTOs to come out so I can repurpose my Backbit to use with my C64..   The backbit is fantastic in place of the LTO but if/when one of those becomes available, I could move it to another system..   

It works good on the C64. I like finding games that can actually save and load. Sometimes i have to search all over. I started a collection of ones found to save. It's a small collection so far. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OMH73_VKNVycilnwJL_4Gn3N7mY1W3pz/view?usp=drive_link

• Like 1

On 2/13/2024 at 4:49 AM, IntellivisionDude said:

Just a bump for this great product. (This is not a paid endorsement. I get nothing for this but i'm just a fan of it)

The Backbit has been able to play every Intellivision game i have. Even Homebrews. It even plays games with math routines like Fubar that people thought it could not do. Some games need to be converted to play but 99% of them are easy drag and drop conversions. A very very small handful of games need to converted with the Windows command line but that is not many at all and i have a tutorial on how to do that. With recent firmware updates not as many games need to converted with the command line. And once in a while a new Homebrew may need it's CFG file modified to get the game working but Evie has been able to help with that on the Backbit forum. 

I have 500+ roms (games/demos/hacks) on my Backbit and everything plays. And JLP games that have a save feature also save on the Backbit. 

One last thing is you can buy separate adapters for other classic consoles and computers. That's a plus if you collect other systems. I currently have 7 adapters myself. You can check out everything here. https://store.backbit.io/product/backbit-pro/

I need to see if Load Runner works on this with the saving of your own levels.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, IntellivisionDude said:

I deleted my video and made a new one showing off the commands i didn't show last time. 

Interesting video!

So apparently, the ECS can display lowercase, but there is no (normal) way to type with lowercase?  I imaging only purpose built software would make accommodations for that, like a text editor/word processing program (that never had the chance to be developed)?

19 hours ago, MattelAquarius said:

Interesting video!

So apparently, the ECS can display lowercase, but there is no (normal) way to type with lowercase?  I imaging only purpose built software would make accommodations for that, like a text editor/word processing program (that never had the chance to be developed)?

ECS Basic colour highlights the code, so it sacrifices lower case with FG/BG mode. Otherwise, like Carlsson said, lower case is built-in to the Intellivision. The ECS keyboard shift keys do work for alternate characters. Here's an example of the ECS keyboard typing lower case.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/168660-intellivision-as-serial-terminal/

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MattelAquarius said:

Interesting video!

Looks like the ecs rom keyboard scanning code has a bug that prevents shift working with five keys. It can be overcome with software.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/193981-reading-the-ecs-keyboards/

• Like 1