IGNORED

Making A New Atari 5200 Controller In The Original Form Factor

Lucas Lac124

21 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

But the original need 2 buttons on each side.  So how would games that need both buttons like pole position work with only 1 button?

The two buttons are the different functions. Not sure which is which, but I would assume the top button is the left and the bottom on the right? Or something to that effect.

17 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

And also there was no space for start pause and reset on the top like the original?  On the bottom looks weird.

I personally so no issue with them on the bottom? They are different enough and placed where you shouldn't get them confused with the keypad. You could really but them anywhere but I like this design. It is modern looking but also has the retro look of the originals so I'm totally on board.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

And also there was no space for start pause and reset on the top like the original?  On the bottom looks weird.

The issue here was indeed space. From an ergonomics standpoint, moving the joystick up a bit on the controller, combined with the larger and more substantial trigger buttons, feels better in the hand in my opinion. As for the 2 sets of buttons, I will put out a video in a week explaining the controller's function in great and clear detail.

• Like 5

On 6/24/2022 at 6:23 PM, Lucas Lac124 said:

The issue here was indeed space. From an ergonomics standpoint, moving the joystick up a bit on the controller, combined with the larger and more substantial trigger buttons, feels better in the hand in my opinion. As for the 2 sets of buttons, I will put out a video in a week explaining the controller's function in great and clear detail.

The joystick looks really good.  My only concern with the design from the pics is the fire button size. It looks really big from the pics and extend more than the original.  Do you feel the buttons are large as well?  

On 6/26/2022 at 11:44 AM, phuzaxeman said:

The joystick looks really good.  My only concern with the design from the pics is the fire button size. It looks really big from the pics and extend more than the original.  Do you feel the buttons are large as well?  

The triggers are absolutely bigger, the other buttons are of a similar size to the originals.

• Like 3

On 6/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, phuzaxeman said:

I'm sure 7800 owners or those if us who use 7800 (CX24) controllers on our 5200s (I use mine with my 7800 Edition of the old AtariAge/Pixels Past Redemption 5200 interface) will love this controller just as much as I do, the bigger fire buttons are an absolute bonus for those of us who are used to one side being A and the other side being B like on the CX24 sticks. I'm looking forward to their release.

50 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I'm sure 7800 owners or those if us who use 7800 (CX24) controllers on our 5200s (I use mine with my 7800 Edition of the old AtariAge/Pixels Past Redemption 5200 interface) will love this controller just as much as I do, the bigger fire buttons are an absolute bonus for those of us who are used to one side being A and the other side being B like on the CX24 sticks. I'm looking forward to their release.

As a 7800 owner since 87, I've never liked the sticks.  And I'd never use 7800 sticks on a 5200.

Boy am I glad that I DID make THE RIGHT DECISION and kept Big Sexy over the XEGS!!!

....and now with R & D on new controllers, although the OEM ones were always fine with me if you ask, once you got used to them they're great (especially if they come NOS from Best), but yes these will go terrifically into my Arsenal (Gooner here that's why "Arsenal" is capitalized COYG!) of 5200 controllers along with my 0711Spiele.de ProPaddle2 paddle controllers which are great for Kaboom! and Super Breakout, along with Redemption 7800 Edition and CX24 and CX80 controllers to go with it and of course the Retro Game Boyz lineup too. 

And then you add new games from the likes of @Ryan Witmer and @glurk as well as Peter Meyer's V61/Atari Sales and all future A8 conversions (hopefully maybe Planetary Defense or Planetary Defense 2012 such as @bhall408 and @Klankster were working on for A8) and many others things couldn't look better for the 40th Anniversary Bash for the one console we know better as Big Sexy!!! She might stand out from the rest, but (I don't give a damn what the haters think let haters hate) she would be the only system I would keep if it ever came to either her or the ColecoVision if I had to get rid of one or the other if pressed to it. I didn't spend thousands on her already over 39 years having her, more than on any other units I ever owned, and I'l not going to hock such a huge investment just to pay some measly phone bills, NO!!!

2 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Boy am I glad that I DID make THE RIGHT DECISION and kept Big Sexy over the XEGS!!!

....and now with R & D on new controllers, although the OEM ones were always fine with me if you ask, once you got used to them they're great (especially if they come NOS from Best), but yes these will go terrifically into my Arsenal (Gooner here that's why "Arsenal" is capitalized COYG!) of 5200 controllers along with my 0711Spiele.de ProPaddle2 paddle controllers which are great for Kaboom! and Super Breakout, along with Redemption 7800 Edition and CX24 and CX80 controllers to go with it and of course the Retro Game Boyz lineup too. 

And then you add new games from the likes of @Ryan Witmer and @glurk as well as Peter Meyer's V61/Atari Sales and all future A8 conversions (hopefully maybe Planetary Defense or Planetary Defense 2012 such as @bhall408 and @Klankster were working on for A8) and many others things couldn't look better for the 40th Anniversary Bash for the one console we know better as Big Sexy!!! She might stand out from the rest, but (I don't give a damn what the haters think let haters hate) she would be the only system I would keep if it ever came to either her or the ColecoVision if I had to get rid of one or the other if pressed to it. I didn't spend thousands on her already over 39 years having her, more than on any other units I ever owned, and I'l not going to hock such a huge investment just to pay some measly phone bills, NO!!!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

giphy.gif

Yeah yeah, yes I have to keep a lid on my spending habits and start using the transit except if I have to get to and from work (our bus system here does not run after 6 pm at night or on Sundays or federal holidays), and yes I already had plans on parking my car here (to save all that $$$ I've been spending on gas) and either use my already-available resources I have here at home or cut back on the trips and simply order online instead of going out of town and being disappointed that they don't have what I need or want in stock, but yes I DO have to clamp down on it, gas prices are through the roof here ($5.50/gallon for the cheapest one) and there is so much more I can do here if I put my mind to it. The thing I've also been battling with myself is whether or not it'll result in something good out of it. Whether it be my upstart business Ray's Beads, or my music or even more YouTube videos or doing "downloads" of myself in various different outfits, I've been having doubts with the thing that it could all be for nothing, that has pretty much delayed or canceled almost everything I've ever done, period.

27 minutes ago, CrazyChris said:

Idea: Two fire buttons side by side instead of top and bottom.

Pretty sure that is how these are already? There is only one button but on opposite sides. One button is button 1 and the button on the other side is button 2. Like the 7800 CX-24 fire buttons are setup.

For me that works fine as I pretty much play 5200 games this way already using my thumb to use the lower fire button on the left and my index finger to activate the top fire button on the right side. So having them opposite each other as larger single buttons works fine since that is how I play the 5200 already.

July 13th 2022 Project Update

I have, as of this date, purchased the materials required to build 17 Atari 5200 controllers, as well as a second 3D printer in order to churn out parts at a faster pace. The next few weeks will be dedicated to printing, painting, soldering, and screwing everything together. Since most elements of the controller are now essentially finalized, I am feeling more confident to give release information. Therefore, I can solidly state that the initial controller batch (which will likely be the only batch unless there are sufficient purchases for time reinvestment), will cost $75.00 on eBay to purchase: before tax, shipping, and platform fees.

The controller cable length is 6 feet, and, unfortunately, it will not incorporate wireless or rumble functionality. I have 4 or 5 extensions that I can sell alongside the controllers, but 6 feet is still about 18 inches longer than the original, which should be enough for most users. The throw of the joystick on the controller is a bit lengthier than the original while being more responsive as well, which, in my experience, is great for most games, missile command and qix especially. On that note, the controller has been tried with every single one of the games that I personally own for the Atari 5200 (42), as well as on both 2 and 4 port consoles, with no incompatibilities found (after several software revisions). The one trigger takes on the function of what the bottom triggers did on the original controller, and the other trigger takes on the function of what the top triggers did, much like the Atari 7800 controller, but with microswitches. 

There has been special attention given though the design process of this controller to make parts user replaceable. Wherever possible, I have used screws instead of glue. I do not want my variation of the controller to have the same fate as the original. Several 'enraged controller throws' have been simulated, and damage has been minimal. On that note, on to alterations since last month's update.

20220713_141516.thumb.jpg.a9384a54accb4d1401270a13e8e22095.jpg

Alterations

Due to confusion regarding start, pause, and reset buttons, I have added recessions denoting the function of these lower buttons. There was an attempt at painting these inner cavities in the original controller colors, but this is time consuming, and results are lackluster. The controller will come with S, P, and R, but they will blend in with the other plastic a bit. The end of the joystick has a bulbus grip of sorts on the original controller, which is embossed with now, as it makes using it just a little bit better. Finally got PCBs made, which means less soldering for me, and easier alteration for the user. 

20220713_141443.thumb.jpg.87bdbbdf9050dc22ceadb0c1bc28aa11.jpg20220713_141604.thumb.jpg.b8744cae9e7e38e3995a9baa7f92293e.jpg

20220713_141431.jpg

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, cjherr said:

Awesome news. I’m definitely in for 2. Can’t wait to hear you’re ready to take purchases. I’m sure the initial batch will vanish as soon as they’re available. Thanks so much for this. 

myself for (at least if not 2) one as well.

On 7/6/2022 at 7:30 PM, BIGHMW said:

more YouTube videos or doing "downloads" of myself in various different outfits

8 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

This is great. I'll probably be in for 2.

23 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I'm in for 2 as well. 

Fantastic.  I am quoting this for posterity.  Let me know which outfits you like the best!

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2022 at 7:30 PM, BIGHMW said:

Yeah yeah, yes I have to keep a lid on my spending habits and start using the transit except if I have to get to and from work (our bus system here does not run after 6 pm at night or on Sundays or federal holidays), and yes I already had plans on parking my car here (to save all that $$$ I've been spending on gas) and either use my already-available resources I have here at home or cut back on the trips and simply order online instead of going out of town and being disappointed that they don't have what I need or want in stock, but yes I DO have to clamp down on it, gas prices are through the roof here ($5.50/gallon for the cheapest one) and there is so much more I can do here if I put my mind to it. The thing I've also been battling with myself is whether or not it'll result in something good out of it. Whether it be my upstart business Ray's Beads, or my music or even more YouTube videos or doing "downloads" of myself in various different outfits, I've been having doubts with the thing that it could all be for nothing, that has pretty much delayed or canceled almost everything I've ever done, period.

21 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

myself for (at least if not 2) one as well.

Not even 7 days between these posts.  That some AMAZING self control you have there.

On 6/21/2022 at 8:06 AM, sramirez2008 said:

You had me at self-centering and new side buttons. Very interested and would purchase one, possibly a pair.  

Thanks for sharing.

I agree with what you said,for sure!?

Edited by wolfy62
Spelling correction