IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

3 hours ago, MattPilz said:

That's pretty revealing. I hadn't done much reading into the real Abignale but when the film came out he was still telling the media that the movie "was a lot more accurate than I thought it'd be" and continued rolling with the stories of all his spoofed professions and evasions. The entire film was based on his own apparently not-so-autobiography. This expose of sorts makes me interested to read it. 

It looks like his Wiki is well sourced and aligns with this. "When the film was released, an FBI spokesperson acknowledged that Abagnale had given lectures at the academy 'from time to time,' but denied that Abagnale had been given commendations by the agency as claimed in the film's marketing."

The book is really well written.  If I was being super critical, there is a little bit of syrupy stage-setting when the author is talking about the concept of post-truth and then describing corresponding moments, in American history.  Maybe I've just read too many similar takes before.  The tone sometimes also gets a little moralistic, at times, but the core story-telling and debunking is first rate.  

On 2/16/2023 at 4:26 PM, Rowsdower70 said:

I think this has been debunked here before by someone with ties to AtGames, there was no INTV or Colecovision flashback 2 because they didn't sell well. 

Sorry, but TT himself said that he ended all existing contracts with AtGames.  So, imo, not quite so debunked as, again, the Amico was supposed to come pre-loaded with legacy Intellivision games which would negate a new INTV FB 2 version.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hwlngmad said:

Sorry, but TT himself said that he ended all existing contracts with AtGames.  So, imo, not quite so debunked as, again, the Amico was supposed to come pre-loaded with legacy Intellivision games which would negate a new INTV FB 2 version.

I mean why have some cash coming in when you are trying to start a new project. 🙄

• Haha 3

Tommy is presumably still living back in the 90s when dedicated 2D graphics hardware was a thing. 😀

Someone probably tried to explain to him that even the weakest modern GPUs are inordinately better at it than anything from that era, but his brain mangled it into the above.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MCHufnagel said:

I mean why have some cash coming in when you are trying to start a new project. 🙄

Why indeed.  I feel bad as now the Intellivision name has been stained the same as Coleco with the Coleco Chameleon.  A damn shame no matter how you look at it.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Matt_B said:

Tommy is presumably still living back in the 90s when dedicated 2D graphics hardware was a thing. 😀

Someone probably tried to explain to him that even the weakest modern GPUs are inordinately better at it than anything from that era, but his brain mangled it into the above.

Indeed. Unless the Amico was supposed to be tile-based, which seems dubious, it should display 2D with polygons like every system since the Dreamcast. So the only thing that would make it more proficient with 2D would be having a lot of RAM to store huge textures for sprites - and I'm pretty sure the Amico doesn't have that much RAM. 🙂

• Like 1

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but perhaps not?

Subject: supply chain

Many people suffer under the misconception that common parts are somehow readily available. Although this quote from an Amiga blog may not apply in the case of IE, I feel it is noteworthy:

The ongoing worldwide lack of integrated circuits and other electronic supply chain issues continues to delay the production of the A1222 Plus manufacturing run. One small micro-controller which costs $6.83 each in batches of 100+ is only available for delivery at the end of 2023. Although it can be purchased now from another trade supplier for the extortionate price of ~$420 each. The original A1222 board designer confirmed that he is experiencing problems with the supply of similar chip components for his current projects. The company he works for have taken to purchasing circuit boards containing the parts they need and stripping out the chips for their own prototypes. 

quote courtesy Trevor Dickinson and the A-Eon blog

Frankly I have heard similar stories about common parts even from major board manufacturers, people that take projects from concept to design and through testing and manufacturing to finished product.

Yeah, even if the money magically appeared to get the Amico into production right now, the lead time on Snapdragon SoCs has ballooned to a couple of years. You could maybe get a few hundred sooner by paying crazy prices for the limited stocks on hand or by buying up job lots of old phones to scavenge the parts but nobody's going to making them in the thousands that way.

Even in the pre-pandemic era, you'd still be looking at a lead time on parts of around six months, before which you've ideally finalized the hardware and got the certifications done. Allowing for a couple of extra months to manufacture, test and ship the consoles, they'd have needed to have had everything booked in some time in February/March 2020 to hit their original release date. They plainly hadn't done any of that, yet waited until August to officially cancel it. The same applies to all their other release dates.

The setting of dates and their subsequent cancellation did neatly coincide with their attempts to raise money by crowdfunding though. It was always a case of "it's coming soon, please throw money at us" followed by "er... sorry, pandemic/parts shortage/whatever" once it was safely in the bank. You can surely only assign so much of this to rank incompetence, although they obviously had plenty of that going on too.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Rev said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Amico needs to be designed from the ground up if it was to get a 2023/24 release. Then start the FCC CE certs all over again….Maybe @kevtris knows!  

IE should just partner with someone who already has experience producing hardware.  They obviously aren't competent enought to do it themselves.   

Though, I wonder who would even want to partner with IE at this point.  It would be like intentionally giving yourself a V.D. at this point. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

IE should just partner with someone who already has experience producing hardware.  They obviously aren't competent enought to do it themselves.   

Though, I wonder who would even want to partner with IE at this point.  It would be like intentionally giving yourself a V.D. at this point. 

They probably don't want to actually make it at this point. Unless they need to in order to stay out of legal trouble.

Phil can talk about Tetris but can't send an email update.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Maybe they could partner up with one of the companies who makes consoles for the North Korean market?