IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

I like that fact that after 5 years and "countless hours of self assessment" they came to a conclusion that, yes, we are in fact in the business of creating a living room experience that brings people together. The sheer audacity of that whole update is to be commended.

I would like to know what distilling process Phil uses on his moonshine, because that is clearly some powerful stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The below section is what I was referring to. They are still pressing on to release a physical console as part of their strategy. But I wouldn’t be surprised if this is eventually scrapped altogether…

“We want to assure our fans that shipping a console remains a part of our product strategy.”

And that is why this typical IE (and TT) BS.  Of course five years after announcing a console it is a part of their product strategy.  As in strategy, plan, vision. But no clear statement like: the system is going to be released; or the system is not going to be released. No clear statement about what is being done to release it (engineers working on it, FCC testing, etc.)

And remember in February 2022 Phil said he would announce a release date in the next couple of months.  No release date in this update.  Just the usual vague statement that the reader can interpret as they wish.  Nothing different than what has been said for the last couple of year.

And also, what about "100% guaranteed refunds?" That promise is not addressed either.

• Like 4

My takeaway from the update:
1) They have stopped even pretending to care about refunds
2) They know the console is never going to be a reality

3) They have no deals in place or any evidence other platforms will want their crappy mobile games.  (Although Hans' Scam-o-ride will be)
4) First rule of Amico Club is never talk about Amico Club

Edited by Rowsdower70
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Hey @vprette could you tell us a little more about your involvement with Intellivision Entertainment? The word is you were being a middleman for Tommy and the company by providing an SDK and asking for videos and builds of some games. There was also the promise of money "coming soon" which never manifested.

The games being looked at were these.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1153850/Super_Space_Towers/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1751970/A_Blast_From_The_Past/

It was like a 10k euro offer in addition to royalties. They said you continued to ask for builds and videos but never provided the upfront money, contract, or devkit.

one additional goal is to find one IP worth to be developed further in a modern platform release

Flashback from our old friend

Luigi Simonetti, the CEO who VPrette worked with, has shown far more interest in Commodore. "They" also showed up on Amigaworld and contacted AmiWest last year. It's possible they have looked at other IPs, but this is the 1st time I've heard of an IE connection. Can you supply any proof? Sorry, but "the word is" doesn't count. heh.

Edited by number6
formatting and name correction
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

The below section is what I was referring to. They are still pressing on to release a physical console as part of their strategy. But I wouldn’t be surprised if this is eventually scrapped altogether…

“We want to assure our fans that shipping a console remains a part of our product strategy.”

Part not focus! The marketing research has shown that moms and families don't want their footbath. 🤣

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

It's worth noting, too, that this update is NOT on the Republic investor page.  You know, for the INVESTORS. lol

Nope because they get zero in return from an app selling games. No hardware sales and no hardware means no software sales for them. If people get excited over this on Republic they are either really dumb or plants.

1 hour ago, number6 said:

Flashback from our old friend

Luigi Simonetti, the CEO who VPrette worked with, has shown far more interest in Commodore. "They" also showed up on Amigaworld and contacted AmiWest last year. It's possible they have looked at other IPs, but this is the 1st time I've heard of an IE connection. Can you supply any proof? Sorry, but "the word is" doesn't count. heh.

Per comments on a slopes video.

RDT_20230523_0738221644322666693435795.thumb.jpg.6275ff5f4a417f5b7a849da6b9491982.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is there anyone that doesn't think this is them saying the hardware isn't coming?

I know they don't say it directly because then they might get people mad at them. But seriously, at this point, if they got the money in the future to make something they would probably need to scrap it and start from scratch.

The design isn't just something they can freeze and guarantee all parts will always be available and never become EOL.

Maybe the VCS can get the Amico Hoke app! 🌮🌮🌮🌮

27 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Part not focus! The marketing research has shown that moms and families don't want their footbath. 🤣

Nope because they get zero in return from an app selling games. No hardware sales and no hardware means no software sales for them. If people get excited over this on Republic they are either really dumb or plants.

Per comments on a slopes video.

RDT_20230523_0738221644322666693435795.thumb.jpg.6275ff5f4a417f5b7a849da6b9491982.jpg

"Comment" on a video? From whom?

Whomever made this statement does not seem to be very well informed.

If you can stand the pain of listening to all this, here is Luigi and Valter. You'll need to change settings to your preferred language, as Luigi doesn't speak english.

Source conference for Commodore Industries

You can also read more about them including current affairs:

Here

Edited by number6
Added links

9 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

What we have distilled down from countless hours of self assessment is that we are, or more accurately, wish to be, in the business..

Emphasis mine and lol.

As part of our expanded strategy, we also plan to bring the Amico experience to other hardware platforms, starting with mobile devices, under the name Amico Home.

AA Lawyers, what are the chances this Amico Home is a separate entity created to shelter assets and/or escape liability?  I don't put anything past them.

If not that, my wet finger in the air says this is some sort of client that will allow people in the same room to set up an online game of Shark! Shark! quickly.  Possibly even on a subscription model in which, case, lol again.

(1) licensing our IP to development partners who have product pedigrees that are creatively aligned and best poised to bring something great to market, (2) leveraging our IP in ways that ensures delivery on Amico but additionally expands our content to entirely new audiences Intellivision would otherwise be unable to reach and (3) acquiring new IP that embodies Amico and fits our strategic focus. This will include licensing IP for other platforms where it makes sense to do so.

Does anyone know what IP they actually own?  Do they own anything even as recognizable as Centipede or Asteroids, or is it all generic titles like Shark! Shark! and Biplanes.  I guess Astrosmash and Night Stalker?  Do they have any IP anyone but a tiny handful of people on the internet even know about?  Also, where are they going to get the money to acquire any new IP?

In the coming weeks, those that have maintained a deposit will be able to sign in and verify their spot on the priority list (Amico Club List). The Amico Club List will be used as the primary mechanism to prioritize access to special products, early access to new games and other unique offers. More details to follow.

He's got big balls, and she's got big balls, but Phil Adam's got the biggest balls of them all.  Yeah, we basically stole your money and don't have anything to show for it, but you can get prioritized access to "special products", because that went so well the last time they offered special products.  How's everyone enjoying those running man coins?

8 hours ago, kevtris said:

It basically plays like the 1980's original, with a new coat of paint.  The graphics and such were improved, but there's a whole lot of foreground/background that's just window dressing.  The game is still the same basic thing, married to the "single screen" arcade score chaser genre.  Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but they did have 4-5 years to work on this, and here is the end result.

Why is it so slow?  I know kids can still enjoy something that simple, but why couldn't they have at least made it a bit lively and not so sluggish?  Why not some different bosses?  Giant squid, fishing boat, man o war, manta ray, etc.  Have different kinds of fish you can unlock that have different abilities.  Angler fish can dazzle opponents or whatever.  Make it quick, give it some variety, y'know, pretend like there were 40 intervening years of game design from which to learn.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

It's clear that's very low down on their list and that would only still happen if they're able to generate significant revenue from "Amico Home" and "Amico Club," which, if anyone, even them, is being honest, is the longest of shots considering the low relative value of their games outside of their own platform.

I'm heartened that for the most part, the outside world has taken the update for what it truly is. With that said, at least there was an update and at least it confirmed for those willing to still listen what most of us already knew. 

Interestingly, on the one active "Intellivision Amico Club" on Facebook, the comments were turned off on the update post, so clearly those didn't fit the "positive" narrative. I tried my own post on there because I'm genuinely interested in who is still supporting Intellivision at this point and why, but I doubt it will stay up given how things go on there.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

Does anyone know what IP they actually own?  Do they own anything even as recognizable as Centipede or Asteroids, or is it all generic titles like Shark! Shark! and Biplanes.  I guess Astrosmash and Night Stalker?  Do they have any IP anyone but a tiny handful of people on the internet even know about?  Also, where are they going to get the money to acquire any new IP?

I've covered their trademarks and corporate level filings throughout this thread.

Just search posts under my nick.

I am more concerned with the wording of that statement and particularly the use of the word fans.  What does that even mean, when you are talking about a failing startup, which, at this point has not been able to produce a product?  Is it just me or does that not sound delusional?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Why is it so slow?  I know kids can still enjoy something that simple, but why couldn't they have at least made it a bit lively and not so sluggish?  Why not some different bosses?  Giant squid, fishing boat, man o war, manta ray, etc.  Have different kinds of fish you can unlock that have different abilities.  Angler fish can dazzle opponents or whatever.  Make it quick, give it some variety, y'know, pretend like there were 40 intervening years of game design from which to learn.

yes exactly... and they had 4+ YEARS to do it.  after all that time,  this is what they pooped out.  There's a huge amount of things they could've done to spice it up, but noooooooo.   That'd take effort and work.  Just slap some quick assets in there on your lunch break.  The couple of "themes" I saw were pretty lame and uninspired, since they just were there and didn't really DO much to the gameplay itself.  You got a giant octopus and sunken ship. whooptey-doo.   And then sunken roman architecture including two copies of the discus throwing man statue.  The octopus does some minimal interaction, re: jizzing on the screen periodically which doesn't really make much sense, other than I guess making the game slightly harder by blocking your view randomly.  Great game mechanic there!  I like games that intentionally obscure what I'm doing for absolutely no reason.   Maybe make it so you have to keep biting its tentacle to stop it spewing?  If you stop for too long then maybe it happens.  The "Roman" level didn't seem to have anything special going on though.

There could've been some kind of added "adventure" aspect where you swim around various environments.  why not be able to swim inside the sunken ship,  exploring it?  It still wouldn't be much of a game, but it'd be a bit more interesting than the single screen score chaser it is now.  Maybe add tasks you have to complete, where you find objects and then use them to open doors, or unlock things, or whatever.  Again, I think it would've took actual creativity and effort instead of just making a bunch of low-effort reskins of 40 year old games.  All this is crazy-talk, and tommy had the data on what people actually want! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, number6 said:

"Comment" on a video? From whom?

Whomever made this statement does not seem to be very well informed.

If you can stand the pain of listening to all this, here is Luigi and Valter. You'll need to change settings to your preferred language, as Luigi doesn't speak english.

Source conference for Commodore Industries

You can also read more about them including current affairs:

Here

The guy is claiming it was specifically Valter that contacted him directly.

Screenshot_20230523_103851_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a63adf12d608678aad46a21fcf53a34c.jpg

Iirc he posted in the old thread too. Could be he wanted to be a publisher for Amico. That's why I asked. It is also entirely possible that Valter was also promised things that never came to be from Tommy amd IE. Hence why I asked what his involvement was. This is the dev's website https://www.happy-cactus.com/contact-us

Maybe @gaterooze_ink can comment more on it since he's the one who spread it from Slopes.

I think this type of thing happened to a lot of devs. Not necessarily through Valter, but just in general. I know people also never received money for music they made that was supposedly going to be used in games. That's why I'm curious if nurmix will ever talk about the behind the scenes. He knows about the music thing specifically.

31 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

The guy is claiming it was specifically Valter that contacted him directly.

Screenshot_20230523_103851_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a63adf12d608678aad46a21fcf53a34c.jpg

Iirc he posted in the old thread too. Could be he wanted to be a publisher for Amico. That's why I asked. It is also entirely possible that Valter was also promised things that never came to be from Tommy amd IE. Hence why I asked what his involvement was. This is the dev's website https://www.happy-cactus.com/contact-us

Maybe @gaterooze_ink can comment more on it since he's the one who spread it from Slopes.

I think this type of thing happened to a lot of devs. Not necessarily through Valter, but just in general. I know people also never received money for music they made that was supposedly going to be used in games. That's why I'm curious if nurmix will ever talk about the behind the scenes. He knows about the music thing specifically.

How long ago did this supposedly take place? As my link to Atariage should illustrate, Valter was looking at "possibilities" for a while. Basically he was doing the legwork for the company.

However, there is this from their website:

we remember when the games were simple and neverending fun!

Our goal is to find Italian talents who have an original project and give them all the right tools to show their vision.
At Commodore we offer talented people the opportunity to be supported by an experienced partner who will help them in publishing.

I'm not sure that ties with the thoughts from the postings you illustrated though. *shrug*

That is about as close as we will get to them admitting hardware is not their #1 priority anymore.   Yeah they later say that is still in their plans, but we know that is code for not happening, especially if software sales on other platforms end up disappointing.  Which I think will likely be the case considering the games they have shown so far. 

• Like 4

Would've been a change of pace if they had just finally acknowledged there will be no Amico console, definitively. A pipedream strategy to still tease a physical console at some point in the unforeseen future is basically what they've been doing for years now.

It is clear they weren't ever able to secure another angel investor, acquirerer or manufacturing bid after their efforts in Mar-June 2022. The consoles themselves are plagued with contractual agreements and debts that would ensure they'd never yield a profit and would send the company six figures further into debt just to produce 5k of them. They owe Fig investors at least 100 units, owe one of their partners $100 per unit sold for the initial 6-7k or so (which exceeds the total number of preorders by thousands), and have thousands of outstanding preorders / down-payments that either never requested a refund or never received one, which also deserve some form of closure. I'm not sure just queuing them up to another exclusive membership list is a viable solution, that is goes back to the golden ticket giveaways that never happened and compelling users to buy merch to use exclusive features of their Amico app.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MattPilz said:

Would've been a change of pace if they had just finally acknowledged there will be no Amico console, definitively. A pipedream strategy to still tease a physical console at some point in the unforeseen future is basically what they've been doing for years now.

It would have been, but honestly, they have to pretend it's still a possibility to keep as many of the superfans as possible (and some of them are literally THRILLED with the update -- go figure). They need them to support and proselytize Amico Home and Amico Club. And I also suspect there might be some additiona liability in terms of refunds for various things if they don't at least pretend that something is on the horizon.

It is clear they weren't ever able to secure another angel investor, acquirerer or manufacturing bid after their efforts in Mar-June 2022. The consoles themselves are plagued with contractual agreements and debts that would ensure they'd never yield a profit and would send the company six figures further into debt just to produce 5k of them. They owe Fig investors at least 100 units, owe one of their partners $100 per unit sold for the initial 6-7k or so (which exceeds the total number of preorders by thousands), and have thousands of outstanding preorders / down-payments that either never requested a refund or never received one, which also deserve some form of closure. I'm not sure just queuing them up to another exclusive membership list is a viable solution, that is goes back to the golden ticket giveaways that never happened and compelling users to buy merch to use exclusive features of their Amico app.

I'd call it even if they refunded my deposit and also what I paid for the game boxes. I'd be less OK with, but still reasonably satisfied if I got the equivalent in credit towards things I can actually purchase, either physical or digital. Just something that shows they did have honorable intentions at some point or another in the process. 

There are actually some stating they're HAPPY to have invested thousands of dollars in the company and don't care if nothing comes of it. That's scary dedication that will NEVER be reciprocated. 

Anyway, assuming they hit the lottery and are wildly successful with putting those relatively simple games on other platforms, we're still looking at least another few years out before they could use those funds to produce even a small run of consoles. To go from an initial launch date in 2020 to one in 2025 would be pretty epic in the worst way possible...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MrTrust said:

1) AA Lawyers, what are the chances this Amico Home is a separate entity created to shelter assets and/or escape liability?  I don't put anything past them.

2) If not that, my wet finger in the air says this is some sort of client that will allow people in the same room to set up an online game of Shark! Shark! quickly.  Possibly even on a subscription model in which, case, lol again.

3) Does anyone know what IP they actually own?  Do they own anything even as recognizable as Centipede or Asteroids, or is it all generic titles like Shark! Shark! and Biplanes.  I guess Astrosmash and Night Stalker?  Do they have any IP anyone but a tiny handful of people on the internet even know about?  Also, where are they going to get the money to acquire any new IP?

4) He's got big balls, and she's got big balls, but Phil Adam's got the biggest balls of them all.  Yeah, we basically stole your money and don't have anything to show for it, but you can get prioritized access to "special products", because that went so well the last time they offered special products.  How's everyone enjoying those running man coins?

5) Why is it so slow?  I know kids can still enjoy something that simple, but why couldn't they have at least made it a bit lively and not so sluggish?  Why not some different bosses?  Giant squid, fishing boat, man o war, manta ray, etc.  Have different kinds of fish you can unlock that have different abilities.  Angler fish can dazzle opponents or whatever.  Make it quick, give it some variety, y'know, pretend like there were 40 intervening years of game design from which to learn.

1) if it isn't hardware, nor software bought for said hardware, they owe Republic and those investors nothing for any sales from Amico Home/Club.

2) They have an apk they used at CrayBroLa that's ready for any Android device. So it wouldn't be hard. Will they make it for like Roku and smart TVs specifically? No clue. 

3) Astrosmash and Night Stalker are probably the biggest two. Cloudy really mean nothing and is stupidly generic sounding without the AD&D license. I take "them acquiring IPs" more as getting people to port their games to their platform, and not outright buying IPs like Atari has been doing

4) 

And they should be called Oof Tokens.

5) They are creatively bankrupt. Been saying that for awhile. If they did want to get a demographic beyond old men who love retro games they sure didn't make games to catch anything else. Stop relying on the most generic blocky and boring mascot for every game....

Running men

1533280739_CloudyMountain-Optimized.thumb.gif.23d868ff7d747a2ea6af7c4effadb71a.gif.90dae7a3b420fe68db86d683f5774290.gif

Vs

24ff305afce29e8eaaf97c987d4654c00fff07d4.gif.38c5071256ffd4114d64d381f6a8cbef.giftumblr_inline_oob0zanUb41txjr20_400.gif.c43db3029109c598e180a18ed6d4adc3.gif

Same issue with Night Stalker. Dump the running men and add some personality. Even something simple like Gauntlet did with having different classes to choose from. Both Mana Spark and Children of Morta shown here have replayability just on wanting to try the different characters who play a little differently.

Wow I beat Cloudy with red running man! Now let me change the color to yellow and do the exact same thing again! - I mean come on. I'm sure the dev will make a competent game out of those, but they are clearly nostalgia bait and will probably stay that way.

Hungry Shark World allows you to unlock a variety of sharks. This is needed to progress through the game, but it does mix it up to where you don't feel like it's the same thing.

unnamed.webp.3f41518203de97a0bbd7ada250753e3a.webp

But yes different fish with different abilities would be a step in trying to evolve the game. Maybe a small zippy fish who dies after one bite, or a turtle who is a slow tank, but can take two bites before they die.

You would save a bunch of money by purchasing an Evercade and the Intv collection to play basic Shark Shark.

58 minutes ago, Lost Monkey said:

I am more concerned with the wording of that statement and particularly the use of the word fans.  What does that even mean, when you are talking about a failing startup, which, at this point has not been able to produce a product?  Is it just me or does that not sound delusional?

This is a statement to keep the faithful "on the hook". Saying "we are abandoning hardware" will get a much different reaction from people than, "we want everyone to play the games and hey we might get around to making it". One way makes everyone mad, the other way filters out a few people who can reasonably think, but keeps a few more idiots hopeful.

38 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

So, basically, the console we were all told we needed we really don't need and that IE is now pivoting to trying to be a games maker / publisher now.  Man, Pat and Ian gotta be loving this update, that's for sure.

Exactly it has never been more than a generic Android box that China pumps out all the time.

Now the question is... are you going to buy an $80 controller just so you can play Shark Shark? Or $160 so you and you kid/wife/friend can also play? :D

I do believe the CUPodcast did say they should have started at software and see how that went. Funny how all these things that people were labeled haters for is now what IE is saying is the only route for them. 🤣

It is almost like they have 600 years of not knowing what they were doing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It would have been, but honestly, they have to pretend it's still a possibility to keep as many of the superfans as possible (and some of them are literally THRILLED with the update -- go figure). They need them to support and proselytize Amico Home and Amico Club. And I also suspect there might be some additiona liability in terms of refunds for various things if they don't at least pretend that something is on the horizon.

I'd call it even if they refunded my deposit and also what I paid for the game boxes. I'd be less OK with, but still reasonably satisfied if I got the equivalent in credit towards things I can actually purchase, either physical or digital. Just something that shows they did have honorable intentions at some point or another in the process. 

There are actually some stating they're HAPPY to have invested thousands of dollars in the company and don't care if nothing comes of it. That's scary dedication that will NEVER be reciprocated. 

Anyway, assuming they hit the lottery and are wildly successful with putting those relatively simple games on other platforms, we're still looking at least another few years out before they could use those funds to produce even a small run of consoles. To go from an initial launch date in 2020 to one in 2025 would be pretty epic in the worst way possible...

What will be funny is if this turns into questioning whether or not they will follow through with Amico Home/Club.

Basically they just announced still making controllers and utilizing a different platform.

They totally could get in trouble for not refunding everyone. They gave their 100% guarantee it was refundable. To withhold that is fraudulent. Doesn't matter if their bank account is empty or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1