IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

3 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

I saw something about people identifying tracks, in Astrosmash.  Were the recordings open source or was he brazen enough to "borrow" music protected by copyright? 

Either way he claimed to do the music and that is a lie.

Also live stream with Slopes going on right now.

10 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Maybe I'm a bit overly enthusiastic about the Atari stuff, but just about everyone who's played those agrees that they mostly retain the old gameplay, they mostly work well, and they feel like they belong in this century.  Everything about this shark game and every other thing on the Amico looks and feels like it came out of the late 90s.  If these goobers, and apparently you, think that's going to be attractive to families in the here and now, y'all are out of your tree.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to need to see some very good testimonials from non-enthusiast sources before I part with even $10 for one of these.

I didn't say these games or the Amico system would be attractive to families in that comment.  I'm just describing some things I saw in the game.  No need to make assumptions about me.  And I wouldn't make broad generalisations about the market either.

6 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

What I meant was, basically for Astrosmash (and Astroblast - which is the same game, of course, just for Atari 2600), three different entities claim some portion of the rights and implied usage. Atari can use Astroblast, which is Astrosmash in all but name, Intellivision Entertainment can keep any pre-existing revenue streams for contracts in place and also use the game on the Amico or whatever other console they release in the future, and BBG for current and future usage of any type. It struck me as odd, that's all. We could literally see a minimum of three different Astrosmash games from three different publishers.

As software, Intellivision Astrosmash, Atari 2600 Astroblast, and Amico Astrosmash are three independent copyright IP.  The registered trademark Astrosmash is another IP.  It looks like the Amico and Intellivision Atrosmash software copyrights and the trademark are being transferred to BBG with IE retaining some licensed rights. (Something could be lost in translation.)

5 hours ago, rayik said:

it would be breach of contract if you could prove there is an actual contract. The 100% refundable statements could be used for punitive damages purposes. 

But in reality nobody is suing for $100. Also there is not going to be any class action as the potential recovery and ability to collect is not worth any lawyers time. 

It would be straightforward to show that there was an agreement on both sides that the deposits were wholly refundable upon request, it's been said so many times and many deposits were refunded over a couple of years.

4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I agree, and of the 3 flavors of fraud, that seems like the most harmless -- especially to all the members of the donor class who were strutting around saying "I guess if losing $100 is a big deal to you, you must not be a big deal like me and my close personal friend @Tommy Tallarico"

Do you think the Amico fraud flavors should actually be spumoni, given the way Mr. Tallarico liked to flex his Italian heritage?

If fraud has been committed you can call the police, no need for someone to file a claim in the courts.

2 hours ago, Tommy2D said:

I found the Goose video, in the thread. 

I'm extremely skeptical whenever anyone boasts about being some kind of polymath / master-of-all-trades.  On average, it seems like most of those people are exaggerating or outright lying. 

There are exceptions. Mike Judge wrote, voiced, animated and created the music for his early work.  On top of that, he earned a degree in physics and worked as some kind of technical engineer. Not everyone is going to be multi-talented, to that degree, and that's okay. (insert Stuart Smalley GIF). 

Before all of the Amico nonsense, Tommy seemed to be relatively well-liked in some corners of the video-game industry.  I'd be genuinely curious to know what strengths he had as music/sound FX producer.  Maybe he was good at understanding what people wanted and turning that into reality, even if he mostly directed other people to do the technical work?

Part of me is a little bored with the Tommy T. bashing, since I feel like it's all be covered.  Still, finding out that he "acquired" the music that he went out of his way to brag about creating...yeeeeeeeessssssh. (Ooof is getting played out ;) . ). 

The audio director of a game doesn't necessarily need to compose the music, they could arrange the music and sound effects in the game.  Running a business is primarily about getting the work, through contacts, relationships, etc.  You can figure out how it gets done after you get the job.

Edited by mr_me
  • Confused 5

14 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I didn't say these games or the Amico system would be attractive to families in that comment.  I'm just describing some things I saw in the game.  No need to make assumptions about me.  And I wouldn't make broad generalisations about the market either.

Person A:  Pretty weird how Amico won't boot unless you hook these electrified clamps to your ballsack, and it shocks you every time you miss a shot in Cornhole.

Person B:  Yeah, my wife is not going to be cool with me playing this with the kids.

mr_me:  It's not made for the kids.  Some people enjoy having their privates electrocuted.  It appears this one is going for a masochistic appeal.

Person A:  Okay, well, this isn't supposed to be the S&M freak console, is it?  The whole pitch behind it is it would be family-friendly, and having to take 50,000 volts to the junk every time I miss is A) painful, and B) extremely weird.  How am I going to play this with Grandma?  She doesn't even have balls.

mr_me:  You can adjust the voltage if 50,000 isn't enough.  It's not really sadomasochism because you're not inflicting pain on anyone else.  You grandma can play in dominatrix mode by manually administering the charge with her Jitterbug by dialing a toll free number.

Person B: Well then it is sadomasochistic, isn't it?  And the point is I'm not a goddamn pervert and I can't be bringing S&M gear into the house under the guise of playing a casual family game.  Nobody with any dignity is going to want to be seen buying this or having it hooked up to their TV.   What is wrong with you?  Why are you defending this?

mr_me:  I'm not defending it.  I didn't say your wife and grandma would find it appealing.  I'm just pointing out that you can adjust the voltage coursing through your bag, and that the game is designed for the overlap in the Venn diagram between sexual deviants and lawn game enthusiasts.  It's an underserved market segment is all I'm saying.  You don't need to make assumptions about me.  I'm just pointing out  things you left out.

What in the world are you talking about, dude?  Seriously, what the hell?  Either defend the stupid fishy game or don't.  Why do you continually have to play Devil's Advocate on_every_single_thing associated with this debacle, and then start bleating like a stuck goat about how you're not ackshually defending it, and we don't need to assume thankyouverymuch, every time someone points out how insane your rationalization is for something obviously indefensible?

Oh, I know, I know; you're not defending it.  You're just continually responding directly to criticism of it by pointing out facts or context that is clearly aimed at undermining all the critics' points.  Totally different from defending it, of course.  Can't imagine why everyone keeps getting annoyed at you for continually doing this.  TAKE A STAND.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I'm ignoring all this legal mumbo jumbo because I just remembered something and it incensed me with rage.

WHERE THE GGITCHGR IS MY PLAYMOBIL GAME?!!???!!!!

You know you want Care Bears more

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

It would be straightforward to show that there was an agreement on both sides that the deposits were wholly refundable upon request, it's been said so many times and many deposits were refunded over a couple of years.

I've been litigating cases for over 30 years and it is not straightforward.  As a starter you need to determine if there are written terms that govern the deposit and if so, whether it can be orally modified. If there are no written terms its a whole different analysis.  It's not straightforward.

But with dollar amounts involved, nobody is suing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

As software, Intellivision Astrosmash, Atari 2600 Astroblast, and Amico Astrosmash are three independent copyright IP.  The registered trademark Astrosmash is another IP.  It looks like the Amico and Intellivision Atrosmash software copyrights and the trademark are being transferred to BBG with IE retaining some licensed rights. (Something could be lost in translation.)

Astrosmash maintenance or extension request not filed and therefore TM cancelled

Note the similarity of the date (May 23, 2023) vs the BBG announcement.

And btw, BBG doesn't "have" this TM. They filed in Germany for what is currently "provisional filing date has been accorded". You will also notice that the date of opposition for this filing also ended at a very similar time, the 22nd.

Source

Provisional defined

If you consider this timing all coincidental fine.

Additional note on the EUIPO page. No representative shown. This usually means they have no legal practitioner as a rep.

Edited by number6
Added references
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

I'm ignoring all this legal mumbo jumbo because I just remembered something and it incensed me with rage.

WHERE THE GGITCHGR IS MY PLAYMOBIL GAME?!!???!!!!

It’s right here, you miserable old farkle.  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/playmobil-luxury-mansion/id919085364

Now won’t you please address my questions about the spumoni on the previous page? I didn’t tag you for my own amusement! I only light up the sky with the Cebus Signal if you’re needed. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, MrTrust said:

Person A:  Pretty weird how Amico won't boot unless you hook these electrified clamps to your ballsack, and it shocks you every time you miss a shot in Cornhole.

Person B:  Yeah, my wife is not going to be cool with me playing this with the kids.

mr_me:  It's not made for the kids.  Some people enjoy having their privates electrocuted.  It appears this one is going for a masochistic appeal.

Person A:  Okay, well, this isn't supposed to be the S&M freak console, is it?  The whole pitch behind it is it would be family-friendly, and having to take 50,000 volts to the junk every time I miss is A) painful, and B) extremely weird.  How am I going to play this with Grandma?  She doesn't even have balls.

mr_me:  You can adjust the voltage if 50,000 isn't enough.  It's not really sadomasochism because you're not inflicting pain on anyone else.  You grandma can play in dominatrix mode by manually administering the charge with her Jitterbug by dialing a toll free number.

Person B: Well then it is sadomasochistic, isn't it?  And the point is I'm not a goddamn pervert and I can't be bringing S&M gear into the house under the guise of playing a casual family game.  Nobody with any dignity is going to want to be seen buying this or having it hooked up to their TV.   What is wrong with you?  Why are you defending this?

mr_me:  I'm not defending it.  I didn't say your wife and grandma would find it appealing.  I'm just pointing out that you can adjust the voltage coursing through your bag, and that the game is designed for the overlap in the Venn diagram between sexual deviants and lawn game enthusiasts.  It's an underserved market segment is all I'm saying.  You don't need to make assumptions about me.  I'm just pointing out  things you left out.

What in the world are you talking about, dude?  Seriously, what the hell?  Either defend the stupid fishy game or don't.  Why do you continually have to play Devil's Advocate on_every_single_thing associated with this debacle, and then start bleating like a stuck goat about how you're not ackshually defending it, and we don't need to assume thankyouverymuch, every time someone points out how insane your rationalization is for something obviously indefensible?

Oh, I know, I know; you're not defending it.  You're just continually responding directly to criticism of it by pointing out facts or context that is clearly aimed at undermining all the critics' points.  Totally different from defending it, of course.  Can't imagine why everyone keeps getting annoyed at you for continually doing this.  TAKE A STAND.

Lmao I'm assuming it was a response to me. His daddy Tommy told him to take a stand against me. ;)

It's why he only dislikes me making fun of Intellivision and only speaks out about me making fun of Intellivision, and never once spoke out against anyone else saying things about me or others.

He has taken a stand. He's just too much a coward to be honest about it IMO. :D

10 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

It’s right here, you miserable old farkle.  

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/playmobil-luxury-mansion/id919085364

Now won’t you please address my questions about the spumoni on the previous page? I didn’t tag you for my own amusement! I only light up the sky with the Cebus Signal if you’re needed. 

If he addresses questions as fast as Intellivision makes updates, you might be waiting awhile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

The audio director of a game doesn't necessarily need to compose the music, they could arrange the music and sound effects in the game.  Running a business is primarily about getting the work, through contacts, relationships, etc.  You can figure out how it gets done after you get the job.

Sure.  If Tommy had said that he was reviewing / approving the music and sounds and said that he used music from outside sources: it would be a non-issue.  An interviewer asked him, directly, "What games have you been composing music for".  Tommy T. replied "Ummmmmmmmm...Astrosmash.". He also said that the audio/music came from Tommy and his team.  

Arranging music typically implies that you are taking an existing piece and formatting it for specific instruments.  The music taken from outside artists sounds identical.  I don't have a PhD is music theory but I would bet that zero arrangement work occurred.  

I wouldn't even have a problem if they used existing music, assuming that they provided the proper credit to the actual artists.  

Edited by Tommy2D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rayik said:

I've been litigating cases for over 30 years and it is not straightforward.  As a starter you need to determine if there are written terms that govern the deposit and if so, whether it can be orally modified. If there are no written terms its a whole different analysis.  It's not straightforward.

Watch him come back with "the parol evidence rule doesn't apply to Amico" or some other asinine mental gymnastics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommy2D said:

Sure.  If Tommy had said that he was reviewing / approving the music and sounds and said that he used music from outside sources: it would be a non-issue.  An interviewer asked him, directly, "What games have you been composing music for".  Tommy T. replied "Ummmmmmmmm...Astrosmash.". He also said that the audio/music came from Tommy and his team.  

I wouldn't even have a problem if they used existing music, assuming that they provided the proper credit to the actual artists.  

Are idiots trying to redefine what composing means now?

Just like they tried to redefine crowdfunding?

Just like they tried to redefine exclusive?

Looks like the WiiWare game, Darts Rage, is getting a sequel, Darts Frenzy, on Amico.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrTrust said:

I said a number of things in defense of the game.  You can go back and read it, it's concise and straightforward.  And you seemed to agree about sticking to the core gameplay rather than expanding to other game types.

What you're saying above isn't accurate.  Besides, if someone does make a criticism that isn't fair, isn't it good to point it out.  And if I'm off base you can say so.  That's what the discussion forum is about.  No need for the extra bs.

2 hours ago, rayik said:

Okay, but it was in writing and even with the new ceo and the company running out of money, they continued to acknowledge that they owe deposit refund requests.

50 minutes ago, Tommy2D said:

Arranging music typically implies that you are taking an existing piece and formatting it for specific instruments.  The music taken from outside artists sounds identical.  I don't have a PhD is music theory but I would bet that zero arrangement work occurred.  

Sorry what I meant by arranging music and sound effects in the game is exactly that, deciding what pieces and where they go in the game.  Someone posted a video earlier of a bunch of interview clips, and I kept hearing audio director, but I didn't hear the whole video.  He even names his associate.

10 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

If you're saying an Earthworm Jim game would sell,...Hell Yeah!

If you think THEY could do one...Hehehahhahahaa I mean hahahhahaha..they hehehhahaaa   a(heh) HAAA!)  They wouldn't know the Heayeeaahhh  hahhaah  first thing about...HAAAAAaaaaa!   Actually  HEhehahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

To the confused @Creamhoven,

^^I give to you my latest art piece ^^,   :)   

Having had enough dealings with these types of liars, jokers, and conmen in my life,...Whilst I Completely Agree that an Earthworm Jim game would be a Great Idea (in the Right and Proper hands),  I was trying to convey and visualize my insane and constant laughter,  which itself would inevitably and naturally occur (stopping my thoughts dead in their tracks,  perhaps) when I imagine a project (like developing and releasing an Actual Earthworm Jim game) spearheaded by the financially and morally bankrupt.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

To the confused @Creamhoven,

^^I give to you my latest art piece ^^,   :)   

Having had enough dealings with these types of liars, jokers, and conmen in my life,...Whilst I Completely Agree that an Earthworm Jim game would be a Great Idea (in the Right and Proper hands),  I was trying to convey and visualize my insane and constant laughter,  which itself would inevitably and naturally occur (stopping my thoughts dead in their tracks,  perhaps) when I imagine a project (like developing and releasing an Actual Earthworm Jim game) spearheaded by the financially and morally bankrupt.

Oh, I see. Well I get, coincidentally I am working on a SNES homebrew game that has a morally flexible character that rips off people. Maybe this will amuse you as well. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

And you never will, realistically. 🙂

Guess what, for us to buy Amico controllers to play games on our phone they need to get.....

Wait for it....

You know what's coming....

FCC certs! No certs, no controllers. 🤣

36 minutes ago, number6 said:

@thread

Just a bit more about BBG Entertainment for those interested:

European Union filings

Again you should notice the difference between "registered" and "application published".

Interesting they have Lock n Chase, Burgertime, Miner2049er, Which are registered. Which Shark and Asteosmash are not yet registered.

Lock n Chase was an Intellivision IP too right?

3 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Guess what, for us to buy Amico controllers to play games on our phone they need to get.....

Wait for it....

You know what's coming....

FCC certs! No certs, no controllers. 🤣

Interesting they have Lock n Chase, Burgertime, Miner2049er, Which are registered. Which Shark and Asteosmash are not yet registered.

Lock n Chase was an Intellivision IP too right?

In order to determine what properties might see an update, I think watching the video that Rev linked to would also be of some help.

An informed description of what might be possible re: the M-Network properties

Perhaps if someone was willing, an interview with BBG might also be enlightening. Of course, they would have to be willing as well. Then someone could make a combined list from these 2 as to what former IE properties might see a new life.

The Data East games, including Burgertime, are now owned by G-mode.  IE would own the software copyright for the Intellivision versions.  Not sure about Miner 2049er, it could still be owned by the original people.  Anyone can file trademark registration applications for unused trademarks.

Edited by mr_me

2 minutes ago, number6 said:

@thread

We know from the PR and About pages at BBG:

Did I miss reading something? I'd like to know the date of acquisition as opposed to when it was announced.

I'm not aware of any public proclamation of date of acquisition. That's not something typically publicly discussed, i.e., contract signing date. Are you trying to establish timing around when they did their first public announcement in forever and the signing of this deal? I'm sure that and the M Network property sale are significant contributors to the "need" for that public announcement. Pretty sad, actually, that it's implied their hand was forced rather than doing the right thing and just providing regular updates regardless of what they were, but I guess that's indicative of this whole fiasco.

• Like 3