IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

I was thinking (hmmm)...😼   Pondering if you will,...You know,  it's not even that they'd have Moon Patrol, Pong, Astrosmash etc.  They'd have Crappy Remakes of Moon Patrol, Pong, Astroblahblahblah...

I was reflecting...Who does I.E. reminds me of?   It's...HMMmmmm...They're like Hollywood!   (At least before the strike (Snooogins!))...

And for the record SPACE INVADERS is Mighty and Timeless ...and fun to this day! 

In fact,

I'll bet everyone reading this post All the Money you make for the rest of your lives,  That the Arcade game of Space Invaders is more fun than anything I.E. ever releases for Amico!!

I know I know,  Of course I'll win the bet cuz those sneaky dickbastards won't ever release the Amico,  B U T . . .  Even if they did ...Wellllll,  It will still be Crap so I'll still win the bet!!  (Yay!)   In fact why don't you guys just start sending me money right now...No need to give me all of it,  Maybe just give $100?  I won't promise you some non-certified vaporware and I don't have any "Data" (I swear)....I just wanna buy some Homebrews for my Ataris,...So the money will go to a good cause,...Plus I've been eyeing a pink Hello Kitty Bicycle and I need a new crack pipe,  and sure I was gonna buy those anyway...But...Lessee..What was I sayin?...Oh yeah ohyeah,  You! Send me $$$$$! (I'll win the bet!  You'll see...)

19 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I use "neoretro" (I may trademark it one day since it's not apparently).

I used to have a folder called Neo-Retro (note the hyphen) but not everything has to be monetized, ya know? Intellivision should be public domain, honestly. Maybe Amico should be called RINO (Retro In Name Only). 

Speaking of which, this is a better way to do retro fan service. I let go of my large cartridge collection and feel the tiniest twinge of regret. 

https://atari.com/collections/atari-2600-plus

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I used to have a folder called Neo-Retro (note the hyphen) but not everything has to be monetized, ya know? Intellivision should be public domain, honestly. Maybe Amico should be called RINO (Retro In Name Only). 

Speaking of which, this is a better way to do retro fan service. I let go of my large cartridge collection and feel the tiniest twinge of regret. 

They only ship within the USA even if you did want anything they currently have for sale. Doesn't do much for the rest of the non-merica world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Wait it's not crowdfunded?

This is actually an okay price point that makes me consider it. I'm sure it's a rom dumper and I would like to see the AA community go through if/what homebrews work before I purchase. Intellivision probably should have gone a similar route.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Matt_B said:

It's five if you count the Atari branded Raspberry Pi and the Tiny Arcade 2600.

Mainly, Atari seem to have figured out that these things are so much easier when they get someone else to make them and just supply the branding and games.

For what it is, it is too expensive. BUT it isn't as stupidly priced as Amico became. It will probably amount to an officially branded Retron77.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

For what it is, it is too expensive. BUT it isn't as stupidly priced as Amico became. It will probably amount to an officially branded Retron77.

It's comparably priced to the Evercade VS Premium Pack and I'd think that it has the potential to fill a similar niche. Anyone getting either is probably going to be spending a lot more on cartridges than the hardware to play them on, so the pricing isn't that bad.

It'd need to be a fair bit cheaper for true mass market appeal, but they've got the Flashback 50 for that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

It's comparably priced to the Evercade VS Premium Pack and I'd think that it has the potential to fill a similar niche. Anyone getting either is probably going to be spending a lot more on cartridges than the hardware to play them on, so the pricing isn't that bad.

It'd need to be a fair bit cheaper for true mass market appeal, but they've got the Flashback 50 for that.

That MyArcade thing is $99 I think. Probably a better deal overall and plugs into modern TVs. Gives you a nostalgia plug in play feel. All in all anyone could just buy Atari 50 on modern consoles which are not only more capable, but have more.

I buy homebrew carts, but seriously think things like the retron77 are dumb. It's a rom dumper. I don't fully understand the fetish with needing to plug something in...

It is even like the non-announced-announced BBG console. A FPGA solution already exists. It just doesn't have a cart port. 

Even Evercade is emulation on a glorified SD card. It's made for those who need shelf decorations, because they forgot those things were made for books. 😝

5 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I don't fully understand the fetish with needing to plug something in...

What I understand though, is people wanting to get rid of the original systems because they can become faulty and don't connect very well to modern televisions. That's exactly why I'm waiting for the Analogue Duo; I have 50+ games (CD-ROM² and HuCards) but both my PC Engine and my Super CD-ROM² need a recap and are not very convenient to use (for instance I don't let my Super CD-ROM² plugged in, so I always lose my saves and have to store them in a specific HuCard every time).

That's why I understand people would prefer an FPGA clone, even though it would probably cost more; the real problem is that the Atari 2600+ won't be compatible with every game, so people cannot get rid of their original 2600/7800s for this.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

That MyArcade thing is $99 I think. Probably a better deal overall and plugs into modern TVs. Gives you a nostalgia plug in play feel. All in all anyone could just buy Atari 50 on modern consoles which are not only more capable, but have more.

I buy homebrew carts, but seriously think things like the retron77 are dumb. It's a rom dumper. I don't fully understand the fetish with needing to plug something in...

It is even like the non-announced-announced BBG console. A FPGA solution already exists. It just doesn't have a cart port. 

Even Evercade is emulation on a glorified SD card. It's made for those who need shelf decorations, because they forgot those things were made for books. 😝

Another reason people buy these things are for the controllers. And not everyone has a modern console for software only collections.  The flashback type devices with preinstalled games serves one group and the cartridge slot devices serves another group.  A cartridge device that's only mostly compatible might be better than nothing but that depends on the individual, for some it might work with their entire cartridge collection.

BBG didn't make any announcement, but I would have expected a software emulation device with two intellivision controllers, a built-in collection of 60 (why not more) Intellivision games, ideally with an sd-card slot for users to add their own.  A second FPGA cartridge device would be nice, if it handled both Intellivision and Atari 2600 cartridges and controllers, there might be a small market for it.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Every consumer is different I guess,...

Well so is every human on planet Earth.   Even here on AtariAge where the vast majority of you are super Tech Savvy and Computer Savvy, which I (very late to the game, you might say) am NOT.

The Fetish idea made me laugh, but no,... Not exactly anyway.   @roots.genoaand @mr_me are much,  much closer (A Rare miss for Beefy,  but you've still got a pretty good track record haha,  I probably agree with you about 95+% of the time)...At least as I see the world.  And I bought a RetroN77! (Not that it's really much more than a novelty).  At the time,  for ME (certainly not speaking for anyone else) it was all about HDMI and modern TVs as well as the idea that I don't play games (ROMs) on (my main) PC.  I get that people like PC emulation.  But I don't want to play games sitting that close to the screen, needing controllers and room for said controllers where I have my computer;  I don't like tinny sound,  I'm not comfortable sitting there for very long, I've had bad luck with getting Emus even working in the past, I'm not playing games with a keyboard, and I could go on, but you get the idea.  Seeing Atari Games in Sharp HD (on a TV) was neat to me.  And FWIW,  I'm not entirely against emulation,  for example I have a Bartop MAME multicab,  although that shows off the problems with emulation as much as it is fun in its own right,  i.e. sounds being off or lagging, games running slower, etc. but It's in an Arcade cab!  And otherwise I prefer (home) games be on a TV,  and played with joysticks, gamepads and arcade sticks...And I like my (hacked) PS1 Classic which I'm sure has a computer inside,  but it's on a TV where it belongs!  And when I read up on MISTers and Pis etc., Well, I'm pretty sure those are beyond my skill level...Unless they have a guide or video for dopes on how to do it (and these guides always miss the basics, or assume I already know it all,  or my computer does something they don't cover, etc.)...

At least speaking for myself:  I like sharp pictures (read Not RF),  I like Consoles,  I like TVs,  I like Controllers,  I like outputting audio to my stereo/home theater setup;  I like Analogue products, I like nostalgia,  I like the carts I already have, I like Flash carts and Everdrives, I like Homebrews and Retro type games...And I don't want to play any of these sitting uncomfortably hunched over a keyboard 18 inches from a screen.  And I Love FPGA consoles which I would much rather buy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldLeader said:

Well so is every human on planet Earth.

Indeed, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some. Everybody's got a special kind of story; everybody finds a way to shine. It don't matter that you got not a lot. So what? They'll have theirs, you'll have yours, and I'll have mine. And together we'll be fine!
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

What I understand though, is people wanting to get rid of the original systems because they can become faulty and don't connect very well to modern televisions. That's exactly why I'm waiting for the Analogue Duo; I have 50+ games (CD-ROM² and HuCards) but both my PC Engine and my Super CD-ROM² need a recap and are not very convenient to use (for instance I don't let my Super CD-ROM² plugged in, so I always lose my saves and have to store them in a specific HuCard every time).

That's why I understand people would prefer an FPGA clone, even though it would probably cost more; the real problem is that the Atari 2600+ won't be compatible with every game, so people cannot get rid of their original 2600/7800s for this.

2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Well so is every human on planet Earth.   Even here on AtariAge where the vast majority of you are super Tech Savvy and Computer Savvy, which I (very late to the game, you might say) am NOT.

The Fetish idea made me laugh, but no,... Not exactly anyway.   @roots.genoaand @mr_me are much,  much closer (A Rare miss for Beefy,  but you've still got a pretty good track record haha,  I probably agree with you about 95+% of the time)...At least as I see the world.  And I bought a RetroN77! (Not that it's really much more than a novelty).  At the time,  for ME (certainly not speaking for anyone else) it was all about HDMI and modern TVs as well as the idea that I don't play games (ROMs) on (my main) PC.  I get that people like PC emulation.  But I don't want to play games sitting that close to the screen, needing controllers and room for said controllers where I have my computer;  I don't like tinny sound,  I'm not comfortable sitting there for very long, I've had bad luck with getting Emus even working in the past, I'm not playing games with a keyboard, and I could go on, but you get the idea.  Seeing Atari Games in Sharp HD (on a TV) was neat to me.  And FWIW,  I'm not entirely against emulation,  for example I have a Bartop MAME multicab,  although that shows off the problems with emulation as much as it is fun in its own right,  i.e. sounds being off or lagging, games running slower, etc. but It's in an Arcade cab!  And otherwise I prefer (home) games be on a TV,  and played with joysticks, gamepads and arcade sticks...And I like my (hacked) PS1 Classic which I'm sure has a computer inside,  but it's on a TV where it belongs!  And when I read up on MISTers and Pis etc., Well, I'm pretty sure those are beyond my skill level...Unless they have a guide or video for dopes on how to do it (and these guides always miss the basics, or assume I already know it all,  or my computer does something they don't cover, etc.)...

At least speaking for myself:  I like sharp pictures (read Not RF),  I like Consoles,  I like TVs,  I like Controllers,  I like outputting audio to my stereo/home theater setup;  I like Analogue products, I like nostalgia,  I like the carts I already have, I like Flash carts and Everdrives, I like Homebrews and Retro type games...And I don't want to play any of these sitting uncomfortably hunched over a keyboard 18 inches from a screen.  And I Love FPGA consoles which I would much rather buy!

I think FPGA makes way more sense in wanting to use your carts. I'd like an easy way to play some of my homebrew carts and originals on a big TV.

Retron77, and 2600+ are just rom dumpers and no different than playing them on my RPi.

That being said if I have a FPGA console that can play the roms of a game I own, (like 7800 Rikki and Vikki), I don't have to plug the cart in. The console functions as an everdrive at that point. That's why I joke about the fetish

I get that old hardware is getting old, but so are carts. Really I think brewers would reach a wider audience if they sell their ROMs. Maybe it's a poor example, as it didn't do as well as the developer hoped, but like that Rikki and Vikki is on Steam. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893690/Rikki__Vikki/

Also don't stoop over your PC screen. Attach that PC through HDMI to your like 60" TV! But I'm weird, as I have a bluray player attached to my CRT in my mandungeon. Do better than me. :P 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 3:20 PM, roots.genoa said:
Indeed, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, may not be right for some. Everybody's got a special kind of story; everybody finds a way to shine. It don't matter that you got not a lot. So what? They'll have theirs, you'll have yours, and I'll have mine. And together we'll be fine!

Whatchu talking 'bout Roots!

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Matt_B said:

Only a little over three years late, and with no console in sight, it looks like Astrosmash is finally headed to Steam on October 12.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2430580/Astrosmash/

I don't know about the rest of you but I can probably hang on a little longer until the reviews come in.

I will up you one.

m5-rAq0n.thumb.png.10ef143504a66acc8aa4e4c8f1092927.png

• Haha 5