IGNORED

Something's wrong when the SNES thread is the second least popular one in here

5 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

My mission in this SNES sub-forum is to talk about SNES, actually celebrate SNES, and discuss and even show various things around SNES game creation in the hope it might interest and even excite and encourage more people with the aptitude for this kind of thing to try making something for the system in modern times. I'm interested in genuine and positive SNES talk and ultimately seeing more new SNES indie/homebrew games and demos. :)

I check these threads once in a while in hope of seeing some actual discussion regarding the technical strengths and shortcomings of the SNES as a platform, but I don't think you're going to get much discussion going if you keep blocking anyone with as much as an iota of actual insight.
I get loving the system and all, but shunning people as soon as their posts doesn't further your agenda is going to give you a very small chance of finding people who can help you out with actual implementation.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, robotwo said:

I check these threads once in a while in hope of seeing some actual discussion regarding the technical strengths and shortcomings of the SNES as a platform, but I don't think you're going to get much discussion going if you keep blocking anyone with as much as an iota of actual insight.
I get loving the system and all, but shunning people as soon as their posts doesn't further your agenda is going to give you a very small chance of finding people who can help you out with actual implementation.

To be fair, I think quite a lot of discussion is happening here.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, robotwo said:

That's not why I'm choosing to use the ignore tool to block certain people. Is there some reason you think that's why I'm blocking certain people, since I have not said that's the reason, like did someone else try to imply that was the case?

As I have stated many times, I am in this SNES forum to talk about SNES, celebrate SNES, and discuss things around SNES development. Once someone personally attacks me for that on any level or just interacts with me on any level that I feel is outside the guidelines of this forum, they are blocked as per one of the purposes of the ignore option. I have blocked no one ever for wanting to discuss SNES.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
Added extra clarification.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

4 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

That's not why I'm choosing to use the ignore tool to block certain people. Is there some reason you think that's why I'm blocking certain people, since I have not said that's the reason, like did someone else try to imply that was the case?

As I have stated many times, I am in this SNES forum to talk about SNES, celebrate SNES, and discuss things around SNES development. Once someone personally attacks me for that on any level or just interacts with me on any level that I feel is outside the guidelines of this forum, they are blocked as per one of the purposes of the ignore option. I have blocked no one ever for wanting to discuss SNES.

It's based entirely on my own observation having lurked these threads over the past months and the public ignore list didn't exactly get my hopes up.
You use the ignore function however you want, but you're going to end up with less of a SNES forum and more of a SNES echo chamber at this rate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

Jeffy, you should show your beloved Kirk those screenshots. It seems like someone is crapping on the SNES...

Fuck that guy, I'm not super fanboy but dean-o there is a lying sack of deluded shit writing that utter nonsense.  He's just as bad as our local here with that toxic attitude, just in a backwards way.  People like that, those losers who lie out their ass scare people off the hardware making up shit like that as bad as people like kirk does making up stories with not-so-deep fake videos and double talk.  That type of creature needs to be eradicated.

14 hours ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

If you want to be unignored you just need to work with him and not against him.

There is no working with him, it's just drink the kool aid or not.  When you give rational arguments, even better, using actual coding and visual examples, and it doesn't match his idea of reality it gets snark, push back, threats of even self harm at times, then ultimately being blocked because that solves everything.  You seriously do not actually believe what you just wrote there despite a mountain of evidence on multiple forums, development sites, and social media accounts do you??

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

There is no working with him, it's just drink the kool aid or not.  When you give rational arguments, even better, using actual coding and visual examples, and it doesn't match his idea of reality it gets snark, push back, threats of even self harm at times, then ultimately being blocked because that solves everything.  You seriously do not actually believe what you just wrote there despite a mountain of evidence on multiple forums, development sites, and social media accounts do you??

What can I say?  I drank the kool aid and it wasn't poisoned.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, robotwo said:

It's based entirely on my own observation having lurked these threads over the past months and the public ignore list didn't exactly get my hopes up.
You use the ignore function however you want, but you're going to end up with less of a SNES forum and more of a SNES echo chamber at this rate.

That's what he wants.  Don't let him charm you into his bs, clearly it hasn't worked yet, which shows some higher level of brain function unlike some individuals.  You either agree with him and echo his factually refuted bullshit, or he takes it as a personal insult and affront to what SNES could be and should be with celebration and you're added to the ban list.  I never got mean, nasty, derogatory, insulting or the rest until AFTER I got blocked, not before.  I tried being nice, tried to rationalize things, tried to even see his side of it, even went as far as giving some what if... to some comment that had some level of partial truth to it to coax a working example and it was nothing but pushback then my name ended up on that list.

What's the problem here is he just doesn't want to accept that hardware developed in the late 80s had a hard limit of what it can and can't do with mountains of documentation because...dreams?  mushrooms?  I dunno, but facts to him are like the snowflakes people get mad at now, overly thin skinned, and if you confront them they'll either ghost you or try and ruin your life and anyone around you for petty revenge for shattering their version of (non)reality.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, robotwo said:

Well, I'll only say that your interpretation in not accurate to the actual reason(s) why I have blocked any of the individuals that make up this growing group of people.

And, since you have stated that you come here to hopefully see discussions around the SNES platform--the perfect reason to come to this specific sub-forum imo--can I respectfully ask you to return to discussing the console and its games rather than focusing on me.

This way I can also get back to talking about the SNES too, about celebrating the system and talking about its titles and future indie/homebrew development and such, which, as I have stated many times previously, is why I come in here. And, if you actually go read the last however many of my threads and comments again [should you feel compelled to do so], you'll see that's all I have been doing in here for a long time outside of brief random moments like this. If you think something else is the case, it might be worth more closely observing all the comments in my threads from everyone in them and particularly the more recent threads over the last few months, especially any of those comments that specifically mention me by name and such, and see what those comments are about, consider the motivations of the people making those comments, and which individuals are making them.

So, yeah, since we're in a thread about the conversation around SNES, let's talk about SNES: I would like to see the popularity of SNES grow in this forum, especially in relation to the relative popularity of the system in the wider gaming landscape, and I would absolutely love to see many more new indie/homebrew SNES games in modern times.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
Just a bit of cleanup
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

20 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

What can I say?  I drank the kool aid and it wasn't poisoned.

I can say that you’re either nuts or doing this for laughs, based upon your ridiculous Kiwi Farms comparison. Just slide into Kirk’s DMs if you want to be included in his next Gamemaker mashup with Mario, castievania, and Toy Story. And this guy, who can’t actually code or figure out how to program a SNES, worked for Rockstar Games? GTFO.

19 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Well, I'll only say that your interpretation in not accurate to the actual reason(s) why I have blocked any of the individuals that make up this growing group of people.

And, since you have stated that you come here to hopefully see discussions around the SNES platform--the perfect reason to come to this specific sub-forum imo--can I respectfully ask you to return to discussing the console and its games rather than focusing on me.

This way I can also get back to talking about the SNES too, about celebrating the system and talking about its titles and future indie/homebrew development and such, which, as I have stated many times previously, is why I come in here. And, if you actually go read the last however many of my threads and comments again [should you feel compelled to do so], you'll see that's all I have been doing in here for a long time, outside of brief random moments like this. If you think something else is the case, it might be worth more closely observing all the comments in my threads from everyone in them and particularly the more recent threads over the last few months, especially any of those comments that specifically mention me by name and such, and see what those comments are about, consider the motivations of the people making those comments, and which individuals are making them.

So, yeah, since we're in a thread about the conversation around SNES, let's talk about SNES: I would like to see the popularity of SNES grow in this forum, especially in relation to the relative popularity of the system in the wider gaming landscape, and I would absolutely love to see many more new indie/homebrew SNES games in modern times.

Dude, you're not going to make the SNES scene grow by sheer force of will. It has to grow organically with the fans. That way, we'll see more people getting into the SNES, and who knows, maybe some of them will become promising or prolific homebrew devs on the system, like Kulor and goldlocke for example.

The way you act in the SNES scene actually deters people from getting into the console. Your online behavior on forums is a hinderance to the platform. You want people catering to your own agenda to prove that the SNES is superior to any other 16-bit platform, but that's not how things work in real life. Just face the reality that the SNES has advantages and weaknesses, much like the Genesis, TurboGrafx, and Neo Geo.

For my part, i am grateful these platforms host such a great library of games for me to play for years to come. It is sad you have nearly turned the SNES sub-forum into your echo chamber, all because people online don't agree with your opinions.

Edited by KidGameR186496
Typo fix
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Once someone personally attacks me for that on any level or just interacts with me on any level that I feel is outside the guidelines of this forum, they are blocked as per one of the purposes of the ignore option. I have blocked no one ever for wanting to discuss SNES.

To be clear history has proven that Kirks' definition of "attack" seems to include pretty much anything he states that you do not agree with, correcting him on anything, suggesting he attempts to learn something or try something for himself beyond mockups or demos in gamemaker etc. 🤷🏻‍♂️😝😉

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Why did you block Kulor, then? That's someone who is celebrating the SNES in a capacity far beyond yours by making a really impressive homebrew title and someone who could have really in depth insights and discussions about development with you. If you actually cared about learning anything or having fruitful debate, you should be hanging off his every word. I call bullshit on this.

Considering you've accused us of gaslighting in the past for simply calling out inaccuracies in your posts, this is pretty fucking rich.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

And he rapidly has proven my point to you @robotwo you've been officially warned, threatened really.  You dared shatter his illusion of control of this forum questioning things in a positive and inquisitive way asking for what you did, and THAT is your response.  Nothing more needs to be said.  Feel free to join the rest of us in silent combating of his lies to warn people off site, any new forum thread he starts, just click the confusion emoji so those who haven't seen the warnings will catch wind non-sense is afoot.

Anything after that line is just kool aid propaganda, the classic I'm innocent here trying to direct the conversation bullshit trying to look like the honest broker, but when it is in reality him peddling more toxic fanboy lies and nonsense to try and dupe more dazzled soldiers into the fold to help back his nonsense like jeffy there does.  This tool blocks actual snes developers because they won't do what he wants and how he wants it and NOW, that should be enough already well beyond the destructive nonsense posted here for the last year because the staff won't force him to curb it, or at least keep it peddled in one solitary thread making this entire section painfully toxic.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 3:46 AM, Kirk_Johnston said:

Also, remember that this kind of thing happens as well: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/04/legendary-dk-rap-composer-disappointed-hes-missing-from-mario-movie-credits

It's actually very simple: I'm not credited on Donkey Kong Country Color, Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge, GTA V and Agent because I left the companies before those games were finished, and they apparently don't credit people who aren't around when their projects are finally completed for whatever reason, especially when in the case of a game like GTA V you're one random level designer in around 100-200 people total in Rockstar North alone who worked on the project.

Of course, that doesn't make for quite as interesting a murder mystery plot. And every good story needs a bit of conflict and maybe even a main villain.

Then I guess that makes Sega a better company than Rockstar and Rare as they keep people credited in games after they leave. Phantasy Star Universe for example still has Yuji Naka listed as the executive producer even though he left Sega 5 months before the game released: https://www.mobygames.com/game/26265/phantasy-star-universe/credits/ps2/

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118

12 minutes ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

Then I guess that makes Sega a better company than Rockstar and Rare as they keep people credited in games after they leave. Phantasy Star Universe for example still has Yuji Naka listed as the executive producer even though he left Sega 5 months before the game released: https://www.mobygames.com/game/26265/phantasy-star-universe/credits/ps2/

I'm not happy with what's happened to Rare since the Microsoft acquisition.  I think they did better teaming up with Nintendo.

2 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

I'm not happy with what's happened to Rare since the Microsoft acquisition.  I think they did better teaming up with Nintendo.

The Rare when Kirk apparently worked there was the Rare before the Microsoft Acquisition.  His Resume has that he worked there from 1999-2000, 2 years before Microsoft bought them. His resume claims he graduated college in 1999. So going off typical semester timelines let's say he graduated around June of 1999 meaning he probably started at Rare in Summer of 1999. He claims he's not credited in DKC for GBC becuase he left before it was released. It was released in November of 2000. So this means at most he was at Rare for maybe a year and a few months? That's not really much to brag about if you ask me. Secondly with the GBA Banjo game, he left before the GBA was even released. His resume should instead be saying he worked on a canceled GBC game, as what the GBA game became was very different.

In general this really seems like a stretch to use working at Rare as some kind of pedigree or appeal to authority.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

The Rare when Kirk apparently worked there was the Rare before the Microsoft Acquisition.  His Resume has that he worked there from 1999-2000, 2 years before Microsoft bought them. His resume claims he graduated college in 1999. So going off typical semester timelines let's say he graduated around June of 1999 meaning he probably started at Rare in Summer of 1999. He claims he's not credited in DKC for GBC becuase he left before it was released. It was released in November of 2000. So this means at most he was at Rare for maybe a year and a few months? That's not really much to brag about if you ask me. Secondly with the GBA Banjo game, he left before the GBA was even released. His resume should instead be saying he worked on a canceled GBC game, as what the GBA game became was very different.

In general this really seems like a stretch to use working at Rare as some kind of pedigree or appeal to authority.

Yeah, he barely even worked at Rare and he wasn't in the credits of any game as far as we know. That's like someone saying "I worked at Nintendo" when his role was utterly unimportant

@Kirk_Johnston Just to be clear here, I am NOT accusing you of lying on your resume. I want to make that very clear. I'm aware shit happens and you might not end up credited. All I'm pointing out here is that there is a distinct lack of evidence and questioning whether it warrants being used as an appeal to authority as @jeffythedragonslayer has been trying to use it. So here's some questions you can answer that can probably help clear the air, and possibly gain you some respect in the process:

1. Did any of the art you worked on for DKC for the GBC make it into the final game?
  2. If any of it did make it into the final game, can you point it out to us?
  3. Do you still have any files, assets, concepts, etc. from this?
  4. How was the art done? Were you given the SNES assets and told to color reduce them to GBC standards? Did you draw them new from scratch?
  5. What kinds of challenges did you encounter converting the art over?
  6. Were there any kinds of solutions you came up with that you're proud of?
  7. Any tips or advice for other artists on how to approach converting art to a system with dramatically less color capabilities that you'd like to share?
  8. What tools did you use?
Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

@Kirk_Johnston Just to be clear here, I am NOT accusing you of lying on your resume. I want to make that very clear. I'm aware shit happens and you might not end up credited. All I'm pointing out here is that there is a distinct lack of evidence and questioning whether it warrants being used as an appeal to authority as @jeffythedragonslayer has been trying to use it. So here's some questions you can answer that can probably help clear the air, and possibly gain you some respect in the process:

1. Did any of the art you worked on for DKC for the GBC make it into the final game?
  2. If any of it did make it into the final game, can you point it out to us?
  3. Do you still have any files, assets, concepts, etc. from this?
  4. How was the art done? Were you given the SNES assets and told to color reduce them to GBC standards? Did you draw them new from scratch?
  5. What kinds of challenges did you encounter converting the art over?
  6. Were there any kinds of solutions you came up with that you're proud of?
  7. Any tips or advice for other artists on how to approach converting art to a system with dramatically less color capabilities that you'd like to share?
  8. What tools did you use?

...you know Kirk won't read any of this, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1