IGNORED

Yes! Broke 6 sec. on Dragster.

Christophero Sly

Ah, nothing like playing Atari on Thanksgiving while waiting and waiting for the wife to get ready to drive to the inlaws. Should be another couple of hours now :)

Well, I started getting into Dragster and the fine DragRace hack this morning and found out a new trick that works for me. My previous lows were 5.91 and 5.94 following all the tips contained above. But this morning for the first time this year I decided to just let go of the gas at the last second before the car blew up at the finish line and I keep getting scores in the 5.80's now.

Low of 5.81 but I can't believe I played it a thousand times the last few months and never thought to release the throttle for a split second at the end of a great shifting run to avoid a blowout. I always assumed that you need to finish the race at full throttle. Cool 8)

post-1503-1069950417_thumb.jpg

Sometimes, I reach max RPM's well before the end of the race. I let off the throttle and ENGAGE the CLUTCH again to keep the engine drag from slowing me back down at lower RPM's.

I've gotten 5.64 doing this method. I usually pop about 6 wheelies in 4th gear. I pop them slowly-only do another when the front wheel is back on the ground from the previous wheelie. Good luck to you guys-- I'm happy to see some interest in this game again!

These are really getting to be some great scores! My score usually ranges in the lower 5.8's to higher 5.7's. (with an occasional low 5.7x or 5.6x) ;) Keep at it! Make your wheelies taps on the stick as crisp and quick as you can and pop the most you can before the engine blows. Make sure to let your front wheel retouch the track before popping another wheelie each time. This really seems to help me.

Way to go! That's the lowest score I've ever heard of anyone else getting in "Modern" times.(except for Todd).

I think every secret known in the game has been carefully discussed in this thread. Consider this thread along with Todd's link to the previous Dragster hints thread to be the ultimate guide to mastering the game!! :D

Send in your scores to Ron Corcoran at Twin Galaxies for verification. That 5.77 puts your in 3rd place currently! 5.74 and 5.71 are not very far away. Now if you get a real good "revving jump" on the counter, the sky's the limit! 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking and I'm very impressed with all the talented players out there on this my Favorite title Game. Here is a little picture to wet your whistle ...Im still trying to get my HOLY GRAIL of scores once again of a 5.51 which ive only gotten 3x . Enjoy...

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

post-1920-1072078588_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Christophero Sly; only a little more to take my score down a notch! I'll bet you can do it now. All you guys have quickly become experts at this game. I'm very impressed! I don't know if I can ever get down into the 5.5's to join Todd's exclusive club! ;) Thanks Todd, for posting that great pic! Some folks that don't play this game very much don't realize how difficult that score is to achieve! 8) WOW!

@Todd - 5.54 is just phenomenal! Thanks for posting the photo! The more I play and improve at Dragster, the more I realize just how exceptional an achivement your WR is.

Hey Christophero Sly;  only a little more to take my score down a notch!  I'll bet you can do it now.

That 5.64 of yours is outstanding too! :D I've been trying very hard to get that 5.64, but I've hit a wall at 5.67 :( . I've achieved 5.67 six times now, once back-to-back, but I've scored no lower. It's clear to me that my technique is missing some important element. Actually, I don't really have a concrete technique. It's strange, but I score my lowest times when I play by feel and hearing.

I've only done the 5.64 about 5 times. I can usually get 5.67 if I play for a while. I don't know what else there is to describe in technique. I believe the only things I can do to further better my score are to get a higher rev and more precise jump on the clock from the starting line and maybe get a little higher rev in each gear. It's tough to say exactly. Maybe try some different joysticks because the crispness of the shifts and wheelies will help in not blowing the engine sometimes and allow you to rev slightly higher before backing off the throttle. It takes a combination of perfection in all aspects of the game to get to where Todd is!

I've only done the 5.64 about 5 times.  I can usually get 5.67 if I play for a while.  I don't know what else there is to describe in technique.  I believe the only things I can do to further better my score are to get a higher rev and more precise jump on the clock from the starting line and maybe get a little higher rev in each gear.  It's tough to say exactly.  Maybe try some different joysticks because the crispness of the shifts and wheelies will help in not blowing the engine sometimes and allow you to rev slightly higher before backing off the throttle.  It takes a combination of perfection in all aspects of the game to get to where Todd is!

I also find it difficult to pick apart a technique and identify or describe exactly what elements contribute to a quick run. I can score in the low 5.7s by altering several elements of a basic technique. One things for sure, the technique I use now dosen't at all resemble the technique I used to break 6 secs. :)

Since there was another thread about getting under 6 on Dragster, I wanted to post a 10-sec .avi video of a sub-6 score. I made it with PCAE and I couldn't get too low of a score on the emu because it feels a little different than the real thing or Z26. But it will give some of you an idea of how to rev up at the beginning. Unfortunately, it's missing sound which is vitual in switching gears.

dragster.zip

:D  :D  :D   I had a great tapping sequence and finally managed to score 5.64.  Waaahooo!

I knew you could do it! My score has been tied! Make sure to send it to Ron at TG for verification. Great going! :o :o Welcome to the elite Dragster club!

This is a great game to play in short bursts. When you don't have much time for a long game, just pop in Dragster and it's off to the races.

I knew you could do it!  My score has been tied!  Make sure to send it to Ron at TG for verification.  Great going! :o  :o  Welcome to the elite Dragster club!

This is a great game to play in short bursts. When you don't have much time for a long game, just pop in Dragster and it's off to the races.

Thanks DY! And thanks for all your encouragment and helpful tips. :)

I think 5.64 is as far as I can take it. I've tweaked every aspect of my technique. Everything has to be absolutely perfect for me to score 5.67 or 5.64. I just don't know how Todd is able to score 5.5x. I wish I could see him run a 5.5x...not only to learn from watching, but just to see the feat done. 8) I think his overall technique is different from the one I employ. One thing has me curious, Todd's 5.54 screenshot above shows him ending in 4th gear. I have to engage the clutch before I reach the end, or else my engine blows. Is Todd reaching max rpms just as the race ends?

Very astute observation!!! Perhaps Todd will reply to that question. My theory had always been to acheive maximum RPM's as early as possible and engage the clutch and coast to the end. If I were to speculate; I would say that your assumption has to be true. Todd must have timed his taps/wheelies perfectly so that the race would end at perfect max RPM's and not have to engage the clutch to prevent a blown engine. I've been toying around with that very thing myself lately, but I've not been able to do it perfectly in a real run yet. That may be our missing link! :ponder: Game on!

I think you guys are on the right track and I already mentioned this in a previous post ;)

My best time so far is 5.77 and I've been able to get mostly 5.8's by doing what Cam is doing but not engaging the clutch at the end only letting go of the throttle and coasting in. So there's a possibility that Todd is doing the same thing and leaving it in 4th gear.

This is very true both David and Chris are on the right track and are giving me TIGHT competition. Im very pleased to see this kind of ability. Yes again on the pattern shifitng out side of my Dragster walkthough that ive posted here the only other thing that i can say is to watch me play or play against me simultaniously so you get the hang of my shifting . Yes i max all gears as most possiably without blowing up that is the Key to getting a sub 5.61 times. Ron Corcoran's times are a perfect example of the timing of shifting. Before CGE2K1 his runs were mid 6 seconds and now after clone shifting with me hes IMPROVED almost a full second. Now i dont say its all my coaching but he is a great player on the over all and he is persistant...I hope this sheds some light on the DRAGSTER shift patterns and Keep up the great scores.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

I think you guys are on the right track and I already mentioned this in a previous post ;)

My best time so far is 5.77 and I've been able to get mostly 5.8's by doing what Cam is doing but not engaging the clutch at the end only letting go of the throttle and coasting in.  So there's a possibility that Todd is doing the same thing and leaving it in 4th gear.

Yeah, your right. Todd may be letting off the throttle, but not engaging the clutch. That didn't occur to me (even though you already mentioned it ;) :D )

However, I would think that Todd must still be very close to max rpms at the end. Because if he let off the throttle, but did not engage the clutch, engine drag would have an opportunity to slow him down.