IGNORED

Analogue Pocket Lynx Adapter Now Part of $99 Package

gilsaluki

Hopefully the OS is fixed after this once and for all

I suppose the D-pad will never be fixed through any sort of firmware update. I believe the issues is a physical problem and has to do with the central pivot not being high enough to prevent a direction from being hit if your thumb isn't exactly centered. funny I never had this issue with any other controller besides some of the Genesis controllers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudeguy said:

I suppose the D-pad will never be fixed through any sort of firmware update. I believe the issues is a physical problem and has to do with the central pivot not being high enough to prevent a direction from being hit if your thumb isn't exactly centered. funny I never had this issue with any other controller besides some of the Genesis controllers

Then you never got the Xbox 360 controller. It's d-pad is the worst I've ever seen. If you pressed up, it would press left (or right) at the same time. So a character would turn left after climbing a ladder or when using a secondary weapon for instance. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roots.genoa said:

Then you never got the Xbox 360 controller. It's d-pad is the worst I've ever seen. If you pressed up, it would press left (or right) at the same time. So a character would turn left after climbing a ladder or when using a secondary weapon for instance. 🙂

I did use the 360 controller but the D-pad I rarely remember using. Maybe with the XBLA games. I don't remember having issues playing Mortal Kombat 3 at all. wonder if the issue was only with certain 360 controllers

21 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

You're giving me flashbacks of trying to play Frogger on Xbox Live Arcade with that awful thing.

I hated it so much that I even bought the chatpad on day 1 when Microsoft launched that accessory. Just trying to use the d-pad with the on-screen keyboard was an exercise in frustration for simple and short things like sending a friend a text message or entering a redemption code.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Analogue announced that the new Pocket adapters (Lynx, TG-16, NGP/C) just run openFPGA cores. So none of the fancy Pocket OS stuff.

https://www.analogue.co/announcements/analogue-duo-shipping-pocket-restock-white-dock-limited-editions-pocket-os-releas

Lynx remains a second-class citizen :( 

What does any of this mean as to hands-on gaming…?

What’re going to be different (from GB/GBC/GBA) - different for gamer playing the game…?

For me, the most depressing thing about that announcement is that the Pocket adapters won't ship until February now.  They were announced over 4 years ago, and they're the reason why I bought an Analogue Pocket in the first place.  The Duo, the Analogue 3D, and all of the limited edition Pockets are just salt in the wound at this point. 😕

@T.A.P.

Did you ever receive your Analogue Pocket, btw?  I was also in Group B, and I didn't receive mine until earlier this year.

24 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

For me, the most depressing thing about that announcement is that the Pocket adapters won't ship until February now.  They were announced over 4 years ago, and they're the reason why I bought an Analogue Pocket in the first place.  The Duo, the Analogue 3D, and all of the limited edition Pockets are just salt in the wound at this point. 😕

@T.A.P.

Did you ever receive your Analogue Pocket, btw?  I was also in Group B, and I didn't receive mine until earlier this year.

Yeah, I got mine earlier this year, but until those stupid adapters ship, I don't really have much use for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Oh bummer.. I was really looking forward to playing and developing for the Lynx on the pocket, main reason I got the machine in the first place 😕

Yep. I would also like to use it for the Atari 7800 games. But whenever I try to run any game that uses a bit more resources I get an error "fileid xxx too big or not recognized" or something like that.

I could take a look at the core myself but I have no clue if the cores are "open" enough to allow me to fix anything.

IMG_7338.thumb.jpeg.075f69dd3bb28861508a8d8c5cc616e5.jpeg

Here’s what they say now.

@GoldLeader (<—- hey, thanks man, btw) gave me some info that they had a few pink ones left/ready in stock a few weeks ago, which I ordered promptly.

I got it delivered on my door less than a week later… (funny enough on the very same day that I got my HyperMegaTech Evercades in the post-office mail, 6 months after placing the order…)

- - - 

Sad to hear if we have to wait until Feb.2024 to get adapters, but, really, rather bone-solid quality than rushed mediocre quality… 

(meanwhile, I can collect some of Lynx titles I wanted the most as kid but never could get hold of - and it’ll be Lynx-mega-party deluxe when the adapters arrive).

- - -

Its performance as to quality of playing GBA (and GB collection carts), is outstanding… 

I really hope they’ll get the other systems equally well-(re)presented as to visuals, sound and 1:1 gameplay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, karri said:

Yep. I would also like to use it for the Atari 7800 games. But whenever I try to run any game that uses a bit more resources I get an error "fileid xxx too big or not recognized" or something like that.

I could take a look at the core myself but I have no clue if the cores are "open" enough to allow me to fix anything.

No such issues here. Sounds like a bad romset to me.

The only problems I have are broken Pokey audio in some of the fancier homebrews like Bentley Bear. While the Pokey is present and accounted for on the Spiritualized core on the Pocket (and Nt Mini/Nt Mini Noir), I believe some homebrews do things differently with it on the technical side. Perhaps the Pocket core isn't setup to handle these situations that deviate from how Commando and Ballblazer use it. Or perhaps it's just plain old user error on my end. While I believe I'm using the non-XM enhanced rom for Bentley with standard Pokey support, perhaps I'm not so I should double check.

But every commercial game that I've ever tried works and the bulk of the homebrews do, too. Just the odd exception here and there with homebrews not working correctly (and never an error message, which makes me really suspect the romset that you're using). And most of those that push the 7800 like Baby Pac-Man have run flawlessly for me.

I've also had to delete and reinstall cores before on the Pocket when I've had issues that aren't happening for others. If it's of any potential use for you, feel free to name a game that gives you this error and I'll check the same game at my end and if it works, pass the rom image along to you for you to check on your own Pocket. If it loads for you, that means it's your romset likely creating all these issues for you. And if a working rom that loads for me fails for you, delete the 7800 core (and any related pieces of it in the other folders) and reinstall.

My lone complaint with this core is no ability to map a 2nd joystick to the Pocket's ABXY buttons for proper twin-stick controls in Robotron 2084. It's that well implemented of a core where this minor nitpick for a single game tops my list of complaints.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I'm not even interested in the other 3 adapters that are available and will be available for the Pocket.  We can already load games onto the pocket for those systems using a micro sd card and the cores.  What kills me is that there are no current cores available for the Atari Lynx.  We can already play game gear, turbo grafx-16 , Neo Geo pocket, and a slew of other systems, without the need for the adapters.  It's the Lynx that is currently unplayable. 

On 12/9/2023 at 10:37 PM, Shaggy1479 said:

It's the Lynx that is currently unplayable. 

So why aren’t you interested in at least the Lynx adapter…?

I bought the 3-pack adapter set to be able to play this (…and more in the future):

IMG_7325.thumb.jpeg.4e14ed0f5a32eb6149accbbdbe99bc91.jpeg

Fair ‘nough, I’m into collecting as s hobby.

But if adding adapters would be the only way to play Lynx, why not get it?

- - -

If there are technicalities I don’t understand or haven’t read up on, rendering my post meaningless, well, sorry for the mess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Why? You can use the original one. It's not very convenient (and stable) but it works.

Oh! 

The Analogue keeps surprising…

Finally I can pull out my Hello Kitty Analogue, from inside my Pink Miami Vice styled jacket, and in the open play a handheld with an adapter within another adapter, with a massive Master System cart towering up and out of it…

It must look most natural and convenient…!

- - -

Actually… what I meant is that it needs an Genesis adapter that lets you insert the 32X module for the into the Analogue, with expansion for Sega CD…

That would be some real handheld-gaming!

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...

So I received mine today.

Only tested with a few of homebrew (mostly my games), and a New Generation demo on Lynx GD

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_1f2b4f1b-93d1-491e-9b9d-4b51f977a8d0.jpg?ex=65f8507c&is=65e5db7c&hm=7814b2f4f32c4b58038cb54cf7f381e60c7ee7c7cf2371e1b450efe884ca3727&

It seems to works well, games with EEprom are working (this was one of my fear as this not something standard back in the days).

For games in Tate mode, you must go into setup to rotate controls, but maybe the formware is aware of official tate mode games and it is not required (only tested with CSS Traffic Regulation and an upcoming surprise release)

Some (many ?) times, I got a with screen with "Error." written in red, I get this is  the "Insert game" or the Analogue, most of time, cleaning cartridge was OK, sometimes, never managed to launch the game (but I was using special 3D printed carts so maybe they are a bit too thick)

Only game I did not manage to get running is Alpine Games, first edition (green PCB), screen goes black just after the title screen (it works on real Lynx). Maybe @Songbird new release work, I don't know.

Lynx GD is working, I managed to run last NG demo (Unknown world), which is streaming some data from a file on the SD card, so this is a good thing.

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_ab33030f-4041-4197-80a6-d77c797d10ba.jpg?ex=65f85651&is=65e5e151&hm=be6a112d4b6c62dffd1fb10030ef0c08252eaad03fe0f434463f001bd035a499&

Biggest disappointment is that I broke wy good old proptotype @Lynxman flashcard because of the adapter (one component is too big, and to low on the card and got scratched). I don't know if "retails" flashcard have the same issues (my other ones are at some other devs home for their developments).

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_e8978f41-b275-44d2-826d-19b666eb9cb9.jpg?ex=65f8545d&is=65e5df5d&hm=c54dfa96834595caef1c0698c66cfbb2e24850fed969d65b6e73fdc13bd2236d&

Oh, one thing, you must put the card with the sticker facing the outside of the adapter, unlike on the Lynx...

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_cc0ce12e-2573-49d4-af4b-c7197853e9a9.png?ex=65f85220&is=65e5dd20&hm=c7b636ca259d5297c70708ee460007d20d7e05fe4bc56b2c6c6eb27b25e57da8&

• Like 7
  • Sad 1