IGNORED

Season 13 ~ Weeks 11/12 ~ Scary Monsters!

Vocelli

Some solid improvements in all three games. And on a slight tangent, having played Alien a fair bit over the past week, I (and I'm being slightly tongue in cheek here) don't ever want to hear anyone defending the abomination that is 2600 Pac Man ever again. Alien plays, looks and sounds so much better than the 2600 Pac Man Port, and gives a decent sense of what could have been acheived if only Atari could have been bothered. Given that Alien was only 4K, Pac Man doesn't even have that excuse, and imho provides proof (if any more was needed) that Atari took it's customer base for mugs when it released what it had the cheek to call Pac Man on the 2600 :x

On a more useful note, it might be worth reminding people that on Gremlins a feature of the "descending Gremlins" screen is the ability to pause the descent of the Gremlins by pressing the joystick down (and if there are any Gremilns running along the bottom towards you, it gets rid of them completely).  You can only do this twice in each screen, but it does make a big difference to how you can play the game.

Anyway, that's enough of my tangents, here are some scores :

Alien (1982) (20th Century Fox)_1.png

Gremlins (1984) (Atari)_2.png

Room of Doom (1982) (CommaVid)_1.png

Edited by Jasonhrb
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jasonhrb said:

On a more useful note, it might be worth reminding people that on Gremlins a feature of the "descending Gremlins" screen is the ability to pause the descent of the Gremlins by pressing the joystick down (and if there are any Gremilns running along the bottom towards you, it gets rid of them completely).  You can only do this twice in each screen, but it does make a big difference to how you can play the game.

Thanks for the advice.  Is this in the instruction manual?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

Thanks for the advice.  Is this in the instruction manual?

From the manual:

"Use your flashcubes when things get too grim! You get two flashcubes each Gremlin Phase. They appear as white squares in the lower left corner of the screen. When you activate a flashcube (by pulling back on your joystick), any Gremlins at the bottom of the screen run away and Gremlins coming down the screen stop for a few seconds."

• Like 2

Gremlins (1 B/B): 146,280

Alien (1 B/B): 42,577

Room of Doom (1 B/B): 21,925

Improvements on all.  Fun games that don't take too long per game to play.

For Gremlins looks like if you reset/click the joystick button after a completed game you start at the last level rather than level 1.   You have to manually game select level 1 again rather than just clicking the joystick button.

20221027_221657.jpg

20221027_214915.jpg

20221027_213813.jpg

• Like 6

Gremlins: 90740

Alien: 54798

Room of Doom: 22600

Definitely room for improvement on all three.

For Gremlins, I've found that on the faster levels Mogwai screen, it's better to be moving to the left as the next Mogwai appears.  Since they travel across the screen left to right, there is more time for you to switch direction and catch them if they don't drop on the left half of the screen.  I need to improve my timing/accuracy on the Gremlin screen - especially once water makes them appear in groups of 3.

For Alien, I assume that the bonus "fruit" appears after eating a predetermined number of dots.  When possible, I try to be on the top half of the screen when eating the last few dots before it appears.  Going for points by chasing blue monsters only seems practical on the first board - unless there is a way to steer/group them that I have yet to discover.  Like most Pac-Man games, you move slower while eating dots.  If you're being chased, look for a path where the dots are already clear.  I have yet to figure out the timing of the "Freeway" boards. 

For Room of Doom, I found that the pursuing monster spawns on the opposite half of the room from where you are at.  The farther you are from the middle, the more time you have to aim a shot the next time one of the doors opens.  For the gunmen on the left/right side of the screen, I find it's best to aim for their feet since this is the portion of the door that stays open longest. 

image.thumb.jpeg.44fcf91f3e75825799035ac8a6268f89.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cd6d5012e0d09d3d475632752ab45a3d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cd2cf3cb36e002da756f21e89bb99418.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, kermit73 said:

For Alien, I assume that the bonus "fruit" appears after eating a predetermined number of dots.  When possible, I try to be on the top half of the screen when eating the last few dots before it appears.  Going for points by chasing blue monsters only seems practical on the first board - unless there is a way to steer/group them that I have yet to discover.  Like most Pac-Man games, you move slower while eating dots.  If you're being chased, look for a path where the dots are already clear.  I have yet to figure out the timing of the "Freeway" boards.

I've been able to get the prize on the bonus rounds a little over half the time. I think the key is to go between the pairs of aliens. The problem I seem to be having is using the flamethrower (I keep running right into the alien after I use it!)

In Gremlins, does anyone else notice the levels going up in unusual increments? I just played a game and it went level 1, 5, 7, and then 8.

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1