IGNORED

A new VCS or a classic controller from MyArcade Gaming?

RadiATIon

Here the MyArcade's announcement :

Z668

I see the new classic controller with this button on the side below the A button. So VCS or just a controller? 

No more doubt for me when we see a previous MyArcade Post:

GkwV

This is the classic controller accompanying the VCS with led around the handle. 

Here the Atari's announcement :

0Uyw

I see in the background the VCS Walnut model...

Could it be the famous license agreement announced in the financial report that accompanies the closing of the 1st fiscal semester (30/09/2022) to develop the VCS ecosystem? 

Otherwise here is the MyArcade distribution network in Europe:

fUxv

Source MyArcade

So an European exit is in the pipeline? 

Or it's just the classic controller for all the others systems... 

A lot of questions? To be continued. In the meantime we have the right to dream. It's free.

Edited by RadiATIon
Add image
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RadiATIon said:

Here the MyArcade's announcement :

Z668

I see the new classic controller with this button on the side below the A button. So VCS or just a controller? 

No more doubt for me when we see a previous MyArcade Post:

GkwV

This is the classic controller accompanying the VCS with led around the handle. 

Here the Atari's announcement :

0Uyw

I see in the background the VCS Walnut model...

Could it be the famous license agreement announced in the financial report that accompanies the closing of the 1st fiscal semester (30/09/2022) to develop the VCS ecosystem? 

Otherwise here is the MyArcade distribution network in Europe:

fUxv

Source MyArcade

So an European exit is in the pipeline? 

Or it's just the classic controller for all the others systems... 

A lot of questions? To be continued. In the meantime we have the right to dream. It's free.

I noticed you phrased it "European exit" in the Discord too. Did they ever make an entrance? Otherwise, seems like it could be some plug&play mini console deal or, optimistically, a cart reader that functions with the VCS. If they can facilitate VCS distribution to Europe via this venture go for it, but they'd need to grow their troubleshooting and support a bit before then. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Atarick said:

I noticed you phrased it "European exit" in the Discord too. Did they ever make an entrance? Otherwise, seems like it could be some plug&play mini console deal or, optimistically, a cart reader that functions with the VCS. If they can facilitate VCS distribution to Europe via this venture go for it, but they'd need to grow their troubleshooting and support a bit before then. 

Sorry. It is a translation error between French and English I meant entering the European market and not going out. 

• Like 2

I have read some bad things about MyArcade, but honestly, I tried one of those little pacman handhelds and quite liked it.

I'm not sure what to make of it, the post on the Atari twitter clearly shows a joystick, the post on MyArcade's twitter looks like an arcade.  So....

FlGBTtsXgAA3QKr.jpeg.3d692534fc3d17381f4217fa5fd0758d.jpeg

FlFj2IRXkAMZ9kH.jpeg

Edited by THX-1138

New post from Atari that specifies a reimagined icon and shows a classic controller finally improved compared to the version that accompanies the new vcs:

y7D4

A "B" button and a trigger in addition!

Are you thinking of a 2600 that would accept the cartridges and environment of the new VCS under AtariOS? 

I don't think we know that it is an improvement at this point, all we see are a couple of virtual renderings, not mechanical designs or an actual product. It looks like the twist is just the top cap, which could make it more durable, but less cool to use. Hard to say if just using the top is better than gripping the stick. Love the lighting, though. Compatibility with PC for Twist could be great if supported. 

The strange mini-arcade cabinet is the odd one, wonder what's up with that?

Edited by Mockduck
  • Like 1

A little strange to see Aldi on the list of retail partners. I mean I guess it shouldn't be -- the last MyArcade product I picked up was at a CVS, so it's not as though I haven't seen the product outside traditional "brick and mortar" stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target et cetera. It's still amusing to think that I could pick up a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, and a MyArcade Atari at the same time though. Maybe it will happen. :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MegaManFan said:

A little strange to see Aldi on the list of retail partners. I mean I guess it shouldn't be -- the last MyArcade product I picked up was at a CVS, so it's not as though I haven't seen the product outside traditional "brick and mortar" stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target et cetera. It's still amusing to think that I could pick up a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, and a MyArcade Atari at the same time though. Maybe it will happen. :D

That is Aldi Europe.  Over there they are more like a Super Wal*Mart.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

That is Aldi Europe.  Over there they are more like a Super Wal*Mart.

Ah ha! That makes much more sense. Here they are the discount grocery chain. The running joke dating back to when I was in college is that they're where "all-dee-cheap food is" and when you're trying to save money, that's definitely where to go.

Edited by MegaManFan
  • Like 1

Re: the joystick. Looks like there vents on the bottom. And smaller vents on the top. So maybe it’s more than just a joystick but has some built in games. Just a guess of course. I’m also guessing it will be fully revealed at CES in a few days. 

The other picture looks to be one of myArcade’s micro or mini players. Previous micro players were based on NES roms and mini players (bigger size) used arcade roms. We’ll see what they come up with for Atari. 

• Like 1

So to me this looks like some sort of gaming box.  There is a controller, and there is another box with a couple buttons on it.  The controller seems to have a door on the bottom either for batteries or charging cable storage.  The box has some vents for cooling.  Could this be a VCS model 2?  Not really an upgrade in hardware but a re-packaging?  A more wallet friendly international design?  With My Arcade doing manufacturing that would open up the door to their distribution network in Europe and beyond.  An exclusive "licensed" VCS for other markets.  This move would make sense for Atari as it would require little to no expense on Atari's part.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I'm not sure what to make of these design teases, it seems like a separate controller, but that isn't really what MyArcade has done to date, and the other bit seems like another small plug and play device. Maybe a plug and play device with a detachable controller? 

I agree with the above speculation and seems most probable.   

On 12/29/2022 at 3:25 PM, MegaManFan said:

Ah ha! That makes much more sense. Here they are the discount grocery chain. The running joke dating back to when I was in college is that they're where "all-dee-cheap food is" and when you're trying to save money, that's definitely where to go.

Aldi fans I know refer to the non-food section as the “Aisle of Shame” because you always nod up buying something stupid you don’t need from there. I got a nice $50 soundbar for my office there last month. This new joystick would fit right in at the AoS. I’d buy an Atari reimagined joystick there, if it were priced to move. 

Atari VCS is over the hill in terms of software support, in my estimation. If you don’t already have one, I wouldn’t bother unless you’re really into collecting, or get it at a price you can’t refuse. 

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Aldi fans I know refer to the non-food section as the “Aisle of Shame” because you always nod up buying something stupid you don’t need from there. I got a nice $50 soundbar for my office there last month. This new joystick would fit right in at the AoS. I’d buy an Atari reimagined joystick there, if it were priced to move. 

Atari VCS is over the hill in terms of software support, in my estimation. If you don’t already have one, I wouldn’t bother unless you’re really into collecting, or get it at a price you can’t refuse. 

Codswallop.  As a PC it's got frickin years left, Atari support is going to be limited after which, upgrade the OS and keep playing your VCS games under another Linux.  If the VCS was a console then yeah, it's days would be limited, as a PC it continues as long as the hardware works.

• Haha 1

Ok, just seen these.  They're doing more than one thing and I don't think ANY of these are about the VCS.   There is a mini console AND a handheld.

And about the VCS, davpa (from Atari) has said on Discord just now about this:

The VCS is not being replaced right now. In the future, of course. It is not being replaced right now.

20230102_134917.jpg

20230102_144244.jpg

20230102_144249.jpg

Edited by THX-1138
  • Like 2

It’s crazy as soon as something like this is teased etc people are quick to assume it’s the end of the VCS or a new VCS. Of course the VCS like any mini PC will be replaced in the future, just like my Alienware Alpha Steam machine I bought from Dell back in 2014, Dell no longer manufacture it but since it’s a PC it lives on and I still use it to this day. I’ll probably pick this mini console and handheld up though it looks awesome so far from what is shown. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

It’s crazy as soon as something like this is teased etc people are quick to assume it’s the end of the VCS or a new VCS. Of course the VCS like any mini PC will be replaced in the future, just like my Alienware Alpha Steam machine I bought from Dell back in 2014, Dell no longer manufacture it but since it’s a PC it lives on and I still use it to this day. I’ll probably pick this mini console and handheld up though it looks awesome so far from what is shown. 

Same here mate, lets hope these come out in the UK.  You're right about the PC thing too.

• Like 1