IGNORED

A new VCS or a classic controller from MyArcade Gaming?

RadiATIon

I took another look at the MyArcade web site. My guess is they'll be releasing Atari-branded items similar to these existing MyArcade products. 

Micro arcade: https://www.myarcadegaming.com/products/data-east-hits-micro-player

Gamestation wireless: https://www.myarcadegaming.com/products/gamestation-wireless

Pocket player: https://www.myarcadegaming.com/collections/pocket-player/products/data-east-hits-pocket-player

data east micro player.webp gamestation wireless.webp pocketplayer.webp

Edited by BeamRider
info added

6 hours ago, BeamRider said:

Yep, it's confirmed that it will be a Mini Arcade cab with Atari games.

image.png.6ae45bf324e4c1fd145af513dde42be9.png

They might also do a handheld but that's still a guess.  Would like to see what the joystick controller will be like though...

So I went into town yesterday to my local Game store which has these MyArcade products on display.   They have little handheld devices and mini arcades with Galaga, Dig Dug, Pacman stuff on them, these are identical to the ones shown in these teaser renders but with Atari branding.  The mini arcades are a few inches tall, tiny little controllers and buttons, it's not something that I will buy to be honest, but I know people do collect these and I can see those people wanting an Atari version.  The handheld is quite nice, the one I looked at was Pacman which I'd tried a while ago in another store, I'd wager the internals are similar to the mini arcades but it's more practical and I would be certainly buying the Atari one.   The mini arcades and handhelds are around £35, quite good value I believe, I'd expect the Atari branded ones to be the same price unless there are lots of games in them.   The mystery product is the console/joystick - probably a home TV console that plays a selection of Atari games, hopefully more than what already exists on the Flashback devices.  We'll find out more tomorrow or soon after, but in all these devices I hope they do more than just 2600 titles alone.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2022 at 3:08 PM, MegaManFan said:

A little strange to see Aldi on the list of retail partners. I mean I guess it shouldn't be -- the last MyArcade product I picked up was at a CVS, so it's not as though I haven't seen the product outside traditional "brick and mortar" stores like Best Buy, Walmart, Target et cetera. It's still amusing to think that I could pick up a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, and a MyArcade Atari at the same time though. Maybe it will happen. :D

The Aldi's I've been to all have this center isle of random stuff. Garden hose, lawn chairs, toys, computers, portable electronics. I even saw a kayak on sale once. 

My speculation is MyArcade is selling at three products.

A plug and play console that's updated version of the GameStation Wireless console MyArcade put out a number of years ago. (I hope its updated and not the exact same 5 year old hardware with RF controllers) It will include a 100 or so Atari games on it. Between $50 and $90.

A miniplayer which is their standard $50 mini arcade player with Atari arcade games.  They have a DataEast miniplayer that sells for $100 but its the same hardware as the other $50 miniplayers. Depending on the frills, it could be more than $50

A handheld player that is their standard $25 handheld, just Atari themed.

• Like 1

The Portable looks nice, although I already have a Flackback Classic Portable, the one that takes a micro sd card to put the entire Stella library on it. If it's a lot nicer than the Flashback, maybe! 

The Gamestation seems ok! The other Gamestations are priced at $50, so we'll see how the quality is. Guessing quality is in line with the price.

The mini-arcade isn't for me, I have like four of these things already and they are not really something you'd actually play a game on. Fun enough, though, for a novelty thing and again price sets the quality.

For people into these mini-arcades and plug and plays, seem nice enough though. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Looks like the "joysticks" were made for the Gamestation and plug in USB-C ports, so I doubt they could be used for PC's and VCS's.

But as a plug & play unit with more 2600 games than the Flashbacks, it works...

The Joysticks are wireless, and will work with the VCS.

4 hours ago, Gunther said:

The Joysticks are wireless, and will work with the VCS.

Have they confirmed that?  Wireless doesn't necessarily mean they are Bluetooth or compatible.  There is USB-C and they may connect to the VCS/PC with an adaptor but they could be power-only ports.  Who knows.  I need to replace my Flashback and I couldn't get the 50th anniversary one I wanted so this will be a good alternative for me.  If the joysticks can work on anything else, that would be a bonus.

I can’t find any information anywhere that states these joysticks are compatible with the Atari VCS?. I don’t think they would be compatible with the VCS, there probably InfraRed and would only work in PC mode on the VCS with a suitable USB dongle to accept the signal. I would really like for them to be compatible out the box but I just can’t see it happening as the device seems to be quite a cheap budget friendly option for it to have Bluetooth joysticks that would ramp up the price more. 

On 1/7/2023 at 10:57 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I can’t find any information anywhere that states these joysticks are compatible with the Atari VCS?. I don’t think they would be compatible with the VCS, there probably InfraRed and would only work in PC mode on the VCS with a suitable USB dongle to accept the signal. I would really like for them to be compatible out the box but I just can’t see it happening as the device seems to be quite a cheap budget friendly option for it to have Bluetooth joysticks that would ramp up the price more. 

They don't seem to be. Pretty sure they are made just for the Dreamgear product.

• Like 1