Lunar Patrol

OldStyle

16 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

A matching set! They look incredible!

- James

1 hour ago, KrunchyTC said:

Nice arcade sticks!

Thank you...thank you. 

I've started a new thread detailing the build of these new controllers HERE...so that this thread doesn't get off tangent from it's purpose...the ports that are currently WIPs by @OldStyle

I now return to you to your regularly scheduled forums!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, doubledown said:

Well I know I'm certainly ready!

5 hours ago, doubledown said:

Thank you...thank you. 

I've started a new thread detailing the build of these new controllers HERE...so that this thread doesn't get off tangent from it's purpose...the ports that are currently WIPs by @OldStyle

I now return to you to your regularly scheduled forums!

Very cool!! No worries about veering off here a little bit.  Lunar uses 2 buttons too right? ;)  Obviously, those sticks deserve their own thread as does BB!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, OldStyle said:

Very cool!! No worries about veering off here a little bit.  Lunar uses 2 buttons too right? ;)  Obviously, those sticks deserve their own thread as does BB!

As a matter of fact, yes...Lunar uses 2 buttons...and a 2-way horizontal joystick...and MB uses 1 button and a 2-way horizontal joystick...coincidence!?!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gambler172 said:

and still no demo rom 😭

I know, I know.. I've been putting time in on it, daily, adding what's left of the special items & the "big" bonus items.  There's about 5-6 specials left to map.  Rest assured I'll start up a BB thread once it's good to go. 

• Like 7

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey is this still in development?

I am loving the graphics and wouldn't change a pixel.

But I would definitely add music.

Plays great with the two button controls!

Have you considered assigning the buttons so that one button fires up, second button fires forward, and "up" on the joystick jumps?

Perhaps this control scheme would make the game even more like a true "sequel" to Moon Patrol, rather than just a remake.

In that line of thought, how about adding some simple Powerups.

Either way, eagerly awaiting the final release!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stechmann said:

Hey is this still in development?

Hello!  Yes it is!  I'm reacquainting myself with what was laid down after being away from it for so long.

9 hours ago, Stechmann said:

I am loving the graphics and wouldn't change a pixel.

But I would definitely add music.

I have more gfx tucked away for this.  I'm really looking forward to get rolling with Lunar again because it's been months of food and mean creatures 😉 The alien city looks pretty cool I think you'll certainly enjoy seeing it in real-time.  As far as sound goes, Synth might have sfx or music but there hasn't been much discussion over it so I don't know for certain.

11 hours ago, Stechmann said:

Plays great with the two button controls!

Have you considered assigning the buttons so that one button fires up, second button fires forward, and "up" on the joystick jumps?

I'm not a huge fan of up for jump.  I see what you're getting at though.  My concern is the constant shifting of speeds will lead to inadvertent jumps.   I won't rule that out since I haven't tried it here but for now I'm sticking with the current scheme.

11 hours ago, Stechmann said:

Perhaps this control scheme would make the game even more like a true "sequel" to Moon Patrol, rather than just a remake.

In that line of thought, how about adding some simple Powerups.

Either way, eagerly awaiting the final release!

Thanks!  It's great see the anticipation is still alive for this.  There's more open canvas to work with so I do see it deviating further away from the original compared to the other ports.

• Like 4

While "up-for-jump" can/does work, as @OldStyle mentioned, "My concern is the constant shifting of speeds will lead to inadvertent jumps"...this would be my concern too....for this particular game...just my two cents.  And if one was trying to stay true to the original, then a 2-button control (1 Fire (combined up and forward), 1 Jump), is correct.

That being said, I'm looking forward to future developments...keep up the good work!

its probably very easy to test the different control schemes in the code and see what works best. as we all know, the 2600 version of Moonpatrol used Up for jump and that works well. things may be different on the Cx78 controller ofc

the reason i brought this up is because i played Scamble on the 7800 the other day and afaik it is the only home version of Scramble that uses two buttons - one for laser, one for bomb. makes such a huge difference in terms of precision. this is my favorite version of Scramble now

Edited by Stechmann

2 hours ago, Stechmann said:

its probably very easy to test the different control schemes in the code and see what works best. as we all know, the 2600 version of Moonpatrol used Up for jump and that works well. things may be different on the Cx78 controller ofc

the reason i brought this up is because i played Scamble on the 7800 the other day and afaik it is the only home version of Scramble that uses two buttons - one for laser, one for bomb. makes such a huge difference in terms of precision. this is my favorite version of Scramble now

Scramble button layout for the 7800 port, matches the Arcade button layout, separating the ammunition:

image.png.ee5f364fc45efa579724985193a02c79.png

Lunar Patrol matches Arcade Moon Patrol, by having one button that fires ammunition both forward and upward, a second button for jumping:image.png.3a9bd9741e551a57851608826c032a0c.png

The separation of ammunition firing is a gameplay feature of Scramble, and the incorporation of such a layout was to make the 7800 port more like the Arcade experience. 

However, there is no separation of ammunition, one button that fires forward and another button that fires upward in Moon Patrol. Incorporating such would make the gameplay less like the Arcade game.  Up for jump is even further removed from the Arcade experience, due to the Arcade not even allowing up (or down).  The joystick is a two-way, left or right only, controller.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2024 at 10:02 PM, Trebor said:

Incorporating such would make the gameplay less like the Arcade game.  

which was exactly my point. make it less like Moonpatrol, because that already exists on the 2600. make it more like a sequel that brings some new elements to the table. like Centipede 7800 did by incorporating a 2 player mode.   something like that

Edited by Stechmann