IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

4 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

20240511_114327.jpg

AND the battery needs to be replaced!!  I cannot tell you how many times I have gone to jobs with network racks or servers in some of the dumbest spots.  A switch rack for multiple floors... in the utility room next to the floor sink (suspended on the wall, though, with tons of water marks all over the front pane.)  Critical phone equipment in the laundry room which was like a sauna when I walked in.  Fortunately, in my position I can decline a job after I walk in.  My contracts always stipulate a visit fee separate from work charges.  If I walk into a shit show, I get to walk out and still get an hour's pay.

• Like 2

We all heard about the Apple Vision Pro.

Well our good old TI VDP Guru Karl himself has written a great technical writeup about it.

https://kguttag.com/2024/03/01/apple-vision-pros-optics-blurrier-lower-contrast-than-meta-quest-3/

Some good reading there. For those newcomers here Karl is the amazing engineer that greatly helped in producing our TMS9918 and later on the TMS9995 before moving onto the 320 and 340 series of DSP chips with TI.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Does anyone happen to have a copy of WordPerfect?  I'm looking for the GUI version, most likely version 6.x, it came on five or six disks, if I recall correctly. 

I found a disk that I was sure I had lost but had instead put in a "safe place" with some personal files.  The disk contains the manual I wrote for my "CYA" program nearly 30 years ago. LibreOffice loads the file, but the formatting is wrong, and the graphics & line art are not showing up.  Word online simply ignores the file.

image.png.b16b8e704cd60e76267820f61097f9fd.png

Edited by InsaneMultitasker
Thank you OLD CS1 ! Problem resolved! :)
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Does anyone happen to have a copy of WordPerfect?  I'm looking for the GUI version, most likely version 6.x, it came on five or six disks, if I recall correctly. 

I found a disk that I was sure I had lost but had instead put in a "safe place" with some personal files.  The disk contains the manual I wrote for my "CYA" program nearly 30 years ago. LibreOffice loads the file, but the formatting is wrong, and the graphics & line art are not showing up.  Word online simply ignores the file.

I might could help.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2024 at 10:46 AM, Gary from OPA said:

20240511_114327.jpg

I suppose the picture could be misleading, but that toilet paper looks like a bit of a stretch to reach!

One of the sites my employer acquired had a network rack located in the vault. Unfortunately, the card reader and security system components were in that rack, and the weekend network maintenance window did not align with the vault door's lock timers.  The first time there was a problem, there was no way to enter the vault or service the rack until the following Monday.  That rack was quickly relocated.  

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

here you go: https://archive.org/download/word-perfect-6.0-and-6.0a-for-windows-6.0-6.0a-1994-10-1994-04-english-3.5-1.44-mb

image.thumb.png.b127b50c3537eaa07db2f13987c93627.png

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 7:05 AM, OLD CS1 said:

When the USPS reorganized, we lost our sorting facility here in the capital of the state.  Now, everything goes from here to Jacksonville and back.  Things mailed here used to be delivered tomorrow.  Now, it can take a minimum of two days, with some things taking a week or more.  A customer check took a month to get to me.  Another customer received their 2023 Christmas card about about three weeks ago.  The last three USPS Priority Mail I sent, "promised" two-day delivery took four days.

My doctor's office is, maybe, ten miles from my house.  The bills arrive with a postmark in a city a hundred-and-some miles away, in another state.

And the Feds keep carping about people using fuel...

K-R.