IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

8 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I came across this thread on Reddit this morning and was like 'yikes!'

I've been burned so many times by friend-of-a-friend transactions -- both as the provider and the customer -- that I'm extremely hesitant to do them at all anymore. The middle man always ends up leaving the implication (inadvertantly!) that a favor is being done where a job is the intent, and things go south.

• Like 3

Maybe I am (un)lucky--

I just keep getting fingered to do data recovery from broken/bricked android phones.  I usually do a cursory check on their phone model to see if a custom recovery is available or not, and if the answer is no, I tell them no, I wont accept the job.

A fastboot capable phone can boot the custom recovery from ram, and then I can use an ADB session to pull all the data out over USB.

Still, I have to remind my "repeat offenders" that this service would cost them an extraordinary amount of money to have done professionally, because of the time involved, and that they should be more careful with their devices.  Showing them industry rates for data recovery is pretty sobering sometimes I find. 

If I had to actually do raw sector recovery from damaged drives, then do a RAID scrub or something-- as in, actual enterprise data recovery because somebody did not do a proper server deployment (because too fucking cheap. Anything mission critical MUST have not only fault tolerant RAID based storage, but also full local mirror, incremental backups, AND a disaster recover site with scheduled deltas. No, that is NOT optional. If you are not doing that, because you think it costs too much, then you are not doing things right. End of discussion.)-- I would not be polite about the pricing.  I have better things to do than sit around with gddrescue trying to nibble and sip sectors off that broken ass spinning rust, and if you are going to make me do that, you are going to pay me properly. :)  (Especially since each stage of the process can get screwed up by any of the others not being done right, meaning I have to invest enough storage to house entire disk images even after restoring them to new media, because the RAID scrub could fuck up-- meaning I basically need to hardcore make space available to do the restoration work, which is added hassle and liability for me..)

Simply because I wipe asses for a living does not mean I can be abused.  I totally AM a trained SAN admin, and totally DO know how to recover enterprise data, I just totally WILL demand proper rates for doing it. :P

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

...And find my prescription lenses!8)

At one time during my previous lives in a cubical zoo, I got hold of a set of no-script 0-mag glasses. So, just glass in a frame, essentially stage glasses.  Once I got people used to seeing me wear them around the building I would start "forgetting" them.  Someone would bring me something to look at and I would tell them to get back with me because I cannot find my glasses.  To be fair, it was usually people from other sections bringing me stupid nonsense, unrelated to my job or tasks, at which I had no business looking (trying to get me to do their jobs for them.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3