IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Isn't that fascinating? Just discovered on Youtube, a speech of Albert Einstein at the 1930 Funkausstellung in Berlin ("Berlin Radio Show"), colorized. I think I've never heard Einstein speaking German (although it is his mother tongue). There are certainly many more recordings in English, but it does make a difference.

And he had some sense of humor. He began his speech with "Verehrte An- und Abwesende", like "dear attendees and absentees".

• Like 2

I am getting ready to go on vacation soon.  (Been needing one for a year and a half. Unlike most of the country's people, I work healthcare, and as such, NO, NO VACATIONS FOR YOU during the heat of the pandemic)

I am going to to a national forest, and am getting my hiking stuff ready.  Spent a day adding additional attachment points to the large hiking bag I have. (Who knew knowing how to crochet and use a sewing awl would be so handy!)

I am charging the batteries on the canon EOS DSLR I inherited from my dad. Gonna try out an SD->CF adapter I got off amazon, to see if there is love, after the battery is charged up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wierd_w said:

I am going to to a national forest, and am getting my hiking stuff ready.  Spent a day adding additional attachment points to the large hiking bag I have. (Who knew knowing how to crochet and use a sewing awl would be so handy!)

Carry plenty of water.

• Like 1

Hiking bag is hydro-equipped. 3L.

Apparently the Chinesium SD->CF adapter I grabbed works.  The DSLR I inherited is quite old, but the pictures are good and sharp, even if they are only 10Mpixel.

(Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi)

I took this quick shot with it to test functionality.  Camera menu says I can take over 9999 images. Poor thing probably has no idea how to deal with a 256gb card in it.  You can see the home-brew attach point I added to the hiking bag, with the camp percolator hanging off it.

IMG_0266.thumb.JPG.924481452d0e0959126683d026e6534b.JPG

That's heavy duty nylon sewing line for sewing leather with. (I picked it up at the humorously named Tandy Leather in town, along with the D Ring that is integrated with the attachment patch I made.)

It is reinforced inside the bag also. That attach point is not ripping off any time this century.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 2

I have a percolator too, looks just like yours. IMHO, the only way to make coffee. ?

While i can't get the coffee to actually grow here, i have a local shop that sells 2 pound zip lock bags of green coffee beans.

I cook them in a old air-heat popcorn popper, the fan in the bottom just blows the chaff out as you stir with a bamboo spoon. A little messy, but it works.

After a cup of this home-made coffee, you'll never want to touch name brand coffee again.

• Like 3

Recently my Win10 machine self-updated and no longer shows the application and filename above each 'peeked' taskbar icon.  The example is three instances of the same app; the name of the app and associated filename(if in use) is no longer shown.  It is challenging to know what is in each window unless you hover over each one for 1-2 seconds.  (The icons now change width as well but all lumped together and too tiny to discern much from them).  Does anyone know if this can be changed?  I've searched for answers and even played with the taskbar settings, such as they are.  Thanks

image.png.1f08270dbcecd456e5df7c1ed5ce009f.png

So, yeah.  When Amtech flux gets about 18 months past expiration, not only does it not flux well but it smells like fish oil.  Means my phone will be out of commission until I get a new tube, and AT&T will not let me use one of my spares because of the upcoming 3G switch-off. "Your phone is not compatible... call us for an upgrade." ?

6 hours ago, wierd_w said:

ATT?  Go to the phone store, and get a prepaid. Drop your SIM in.  Get a cheap 30$ one.  Fine until you fix your actual one.

Short answer: no.  My primary phone is a SonyEricsson "feature" phone, a C905a.  I have several of these on-hand, as well as a Symbian "smart" phone.  The issue for my arrangement is AT&T has blocked 3G phones because of the upcoming full LTE switch-over -- though I have now found that I can call to get a phone unblocked when this happens.

I admit this is a problem mostly of my own making.  I have resisted smart phones for a long time due to numerous privacy concerns.  While AT&T can violate my privacy at a much lower level, which is bad enough, I have a certain disdain for carrying a device on my hip which tracks not just my location, but also listens to me and those around me at all times and can determine my activity with a great level of accuracy, then report all that to an entity which has no legitimate business knowing such details.

It is a phone. It should be no smarter than what sits on my desk or is otherwise needed to handle my basic communications.  This also makes a KaiOS phone look attractive, as even most modern "feature" phones run a stripped-down Android, which is still loaded with Google background services.

I have picked up a new phone which I am testing out.  I chose a Sony Xperia phone because, of all the phones at which I looked as replacements, it was the easiest to procure and Sony is extremely lenient with open development.  Hell, Sony provides the entire environment you need to compile new ROMs.  It is now running a de-Google Android 11 OS (built from the Android Open Source Project,) but I am discovering that I am not crazy about problems I have had with Android in the past on two state-issued phones.

In short, notification sounds outside of the base Android apps will not play.  I have tried out numerous programs, well-known and commercial applications, and the sounds simply will not play (at least reliably.)  I thought it might be because I am using an SODP (Sony Open Devices Project) ROM and perhaps the lack of Google services is the problem, so I have been testing on a straight-up legit full Android device and the problems exist there, as well.

I am expecting a high level of customization on a replacement device, equal to or greater than what I have with my shitty, 12 year-old feature phone.  I could not find that level before, so I have collected enough parts to keep my device alive (I have literally, not figuratively, 48 full devices from which I can pull spare parts.)  This was all working fine until I allowed my flux to go way past expiration and needed to reflow the USB Fastport.

I have eight months before the drop-dead date of the 3G switch-off.  I have time to peruse replacement options, which I am doing, and at least now I know the hampering of switching 3G phones is only a minimal inconvenience which can be resolved with a call to technical support.  That is one thing I will give AT&T: it has never enforced IMEI lock-downs, allowing me to swap my SIM around with reckless abandon.

All that notwithstanding, I fixed the USB Fastport, now I just need to fix the screen flaking out, which I am pretty certain is caused by a loose connection in the slider where one of the clips holding the front keypad in place has broken.

• Like 1

I had a spare micro sd card laying around so i decided to explore around with the latest RaspiOS.

I remembered that quite awhile back, there was a "official" Raspberry pi edition of minecraft, located here: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/edition/pi

After downloading & extracting it, i could not get it to run. Some error about a missing libgles2.so file.

Turns out current releases of Raspbian / RaspiOS change the location of the lib files.

I tried poking around in the RaspiOS add/remove software section, finding a couple different versions of libgles and libgles2 and associated dev packages.

I never did manage to get it to run.

And yes i am aware of the Minetest project.

I have not yet tried Minetest, but its pretty sad i could not get the "real" Minecraft release working.

Which, having said all of that, brings me to why i am posting this:

Does anyone know either:

1. How to get Minecraft pi Edition running on the latest RaspiOS release.

or

2. Which older version or Raspbain to download to try it out on.

Edited by jrhodes

If the issue is just where lib files are stored, you just need a symbolic link that creates an alias to where the lib files are actually stored. 

In a perfect world, the program should use the path environment variable, but them's the breaks. Let me see where the lib folder to/from. 

• Like 1

I believe it was expecting the required libs to be in /opt/vc/* , but /opt/vc/ did not even exist in latest RaspiOS, and the lib files it was looking for were nowhere to be found in /usr/lib/ either.

I've already wiped my Raspberry pi 3B+'s micro sd card so can't retry right now.

I have been busy raiding the old releases or Raspbain and downloading them all.

I intend, if i have to, to start from the oldest possible release and just keep trying them out one by one until i get it running on one of them.

Edited by jrhodes

OK.  Looks like the actual libs are in /usr/local/lib on Raspbian.

If it is looking for libraries in /opt/vc/*, then just create a symlink that points to /usr/local/lib

sudo ln -s /opt/vc /usr/local/lib

then give it read for everyone.

sudo chmod 774 /opt/vc

It will LOOK like there is folder called vc under /opt but it will really just be a redirection to /usr/local/lib

To find a random library, use the [find] command.

eg, to search the whole root tree for a file, it is like this:

find / -name nameoffile.ext

Once you find it, you can create symbolic links in say, /usr/local/lib, that point to those files in exactly the same way as above.

Edited by wierd_w
  • Like 2

Police in the Malaysian district of Miri have used a steamroller to crush 1069 computers allegedly used to mine Bitcoin, using stolen electricity which often causes blackouts.  Dozens of raids, six arrests with sentences of up to eight months and $1,900 fines, and the destruction of three houses. (HT The Register.)

handout_miri_police_malsyia_crushed_mini

On 7/7/2021 at 9:42 AM, SkyPilot said:

Einstein was a little weird, divorcing his wife to marry his cousin and never wearing socks.  Some said he could be mean too.

I think everyone can be mean depending on what's going on. Male genetics.. so that's normal...hmmm.  never wearing socks . but those socks aren't like today's socks I bet. Lol