IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

If there weren't that joint, I'd say the upper left one is a fresh water pipe, while the wider ones down right are waste water. So it does not make sense, or is fake again (AI, draw me a picture of ...)

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

If there weren't that joint, I'd say the upper left one is a fresh water pipe, while the wider ones down right are waste water. So it does not make sense, or is fake again (AI, draw me a picture of ...)

Oh, play along a little.  Could be an air conditioner drip line connected to deck drainage.  Of course, I know nothing about PVC piping, so the thought of that amount of graduating sizes between the two seems dubious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Oh, play along a little.  Could be an air conditioner drip line connected to deck drainage.  Of course, I know nothing about PVC piping, so the thought of that amount of graduating sizes between the two seems dubious.

They went for the cascading drip, instead of the over the cliff waterfall drip ;')

14 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Microsoft blames EU for being forced to allow their system32 folder to have outside 3rd party files which they can't police themselves.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dhe said:

image.png.f25b49ec77bd4b92cf7981616489e2a1.png

out of context i almost skipped over to 2024 in the summer, goal was lofty, i wanted to refurbish model II sega genesis consoles, but then summer happened and my only workspace became an oven... oof!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

Microsoft blames EU for being forced to allow their system32 folder to have outside 3rd party files which they can't police themselves.

I'm sure they could have come up with another way of doing it instead of allowing 3rd party forced updates to their kernel.  That just sounds dumb. I'm glad I'm on Linux.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 1:07 PM, GDMike said:

This is unmitigated bullshit.  Yes, CrowdStrike Falcon puts its files in system32, but, from what I understand, that had nothing to do with this outage.  It was a buggy driver as part of Falcon EDR, which had been buggy for a while, and a badly-formatted "channel" file, which consists of IoC signatures, which caused that driver to fail.  Falcon runs essentially as a rootkit, which is required for the protection of the operating system (it has to run in Ring 0,) and becomes a critical part of the operating system.  When the driver crashed, it took down the entire OS.

This has absolutely nothing to do with writing files to system32.  That said, it had to be completely ignorant or vindictive EU politicians who wrote a law which requires this, stipulating it is true in the first place.

Edited by OLD CS1
Autocorrect changed "vindictive" to "vindicated." I mean, seriously wtf autocorrect??
  • Sad 1

BREAKING: SAG-AFTRA video game voice/performance actors are going on strike at midnight tonight. Basically over AI "We’re not going to consent to a contract that allows companies to abuse A.I. to the detriment of our members. Enough is enough." - AG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher

image.png.daf5c7983d0d8d4f141edfe4901837c5.png

GTW0NeVX0AE0ab9.png

11 minutes ago, Jeff White said:

Suppose you were 60 years old with $10,000,000, tax/debt-free, and no dependents.  What would you do?

I wish.  Travel the world. Try to live another 30 years at least. Start the biggest retro computer museum ever, and make sure it outlives you. But these days 10million is not much. Would need to properly manage it so it can support your health and well-being until you are at least 100 and things are only get more costly as you age in health and the world marches on with inflation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff White said:

Suppose you were 60 years old with $10,000,000, tax/debt-free, and no dependents.  What would you do?

Buy a small Island, get a lot of TI stuff, live simply, but elegantly. Doing things the way I want to do them, working my projects and helping others to live better lives as I can.

1 hour ago, Jeff White said:

Buy a piece of property sitting off BNSF rails and an Amtrak route somewhere in the Dakotas.  Aside from a house on that property, I would have the requisite shop, and a couple of parking spots for a customized passenger car, caboose, or both.  I would hook one of them up to an Amtrak every once in a while to travel to see or with family.  When I am not using them, I would have them available as AirBnB-style rentals, either stationary or for travel.  I would buy a Hi-Rail truck, or a small diesel locomotive, to move stuff around and even run around the property.  I would sell off my MSP business, probably sell off my cloud business, and continue to teach cybersecurity while I dream up and build other stuff, some for hobby, some for sale.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary from OPA said:

BREAKING: SAG-AFTRA video game voice/performance actors are going on strike at midnight tonight. Basically over AI "We’re not going to consent to a contract that allows companies to abuse A.I. to the detriment of our members. Enough is enough." - AG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher

image.png.daf5c7983d0d8d4f141edfe4901837c5.png

GTW0NeVX0AE0ab9.png

d5af95d2-db05-4e66-a3be-2e0397e7184b_text.gif.14f6a0c493a4f54074dbf8614df27dfd.gif

On 7/24/2024 at 7:29 AM, MarkB said:

I'm sure they could have come up with another way of doing it instead of allowing 3rd party forced updates to their kernel.  That just sounds dumb. I'm glad I'm on Linux.

Microsoft is looking at changing the system now.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206719/microsoft-windows-changes-crowdstrike-kernel-driver

• Like 2