IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

This looks like them: http://www.arieselec.com/products/data/12024-dip-collet-solder-tail-socket.htm. Datasheet suggests that the latches *should* lock the IC into place?

The same. Maybe it just depends upon the chip. I have not tried it with a real EPROM, yet, just the Winbond.

post-27864-0-96740500-1478823242_thumb.jpg

I any case, it does work just fine.

• Like 3

Well, for one that spiral staircase is a useless waste of space. Considering the size of the "home" the place to where it leads could be easily reached by climbing (look at some bunk-bed designs which incorporate climbing grasps.) And a mac keyboard? Really? WTF?!

As well, LED lighting will most likely be used in the environment as a low energy drawing component. However, we will have to overcome the blue light issue before we can use that as our white lighting. Best bet would be to use something in the yellow spectrum (what we call "warm") so as not to interfere with sleep patterns.

Good old incandescent (GE has produced bulbs which dramatically cut energy consumption using carbon nanotubes) will be the best, or halogen, as they do not suffer the effects of fluorescent light (depression) or white LED light (sleep disruption.) Spare bulbs would be an issue to overcome, especially during departure, arrival, and construction, as filaments can be quite fragile and even heavy-duty ones could be susceptible to breakage.

In terms of color, all that orange colored trim probably is not the best selection, either.

I think the exercise machine will go unused, as well. Needs a couch (bean bag, probably) for relaxing. Sleeping and lounging should be kept separate so your body and mind know the difference between relaxing with and without the expectation of stimulus (like why you should not have a TV or other electronic devices in your bedroom.) Angled wall-to-floor transitions, while easier to clean than 90-degree corners, are too easy to slip on and cause injury.

And hot sauce. C'mon, they could have at least put some Sriracha in there! :P

I know, this is all 1960s-like futurism on display, but I cannot help nit-pick as a practical matter :)

• Like 1

Or speccery's project :)

¿Qué es esto?

BTW, to explain my emulation comment: it was not glib, but practical. The TI (or any retro) system draws too much power to be useful outside of Terran power generation. Emulation on something like an Android tablet or power-efficient computer would ensure that I could have my fun and survive :)

Edit: OIC!

¿Qué es esto?

BTW, to explain my emulation comment: it was not glib, but practical. The TI (or any retro) system draws too much power to be useful outside of Terran power generation. Emulation on something like an Android tablet or power-efficient computer would ensure that I could have my fun and survive :)

Edit: OIC!

TI-99/4A with a Pipistrello FPGA board

You know the hardest thing about living on Mars would be the delay in Internet traffic. I suppose some sort of automatic polling of ones favorites would be mandatory, that way they would be automatically transmitted to a storage buffer/router on-planet. In this way one could get their Atari Age "TI-Fix" in a 'simulated live fashion'. Naturally I'm assuming by the time civilians and private parties set up 'home', there will be enough bandwidth to handle that amount of data traffic.

One of the nice things about Atari Age is that politics has been separate from the enjoyment of our hobby. Please, no matter who one is for or against, please don't bring it here.

A hundred-million-gillion times this, adamchevy. I just went through to see where all you post. I could not find any other posts from you around here, including your previous member name, so maybe you are not aware of how this sub-forum tends to run and I will cut you a little slack.

Our group is a beautiful example of spontaneous order. We are all of varied politics, religion, lifestyle, and temper; some who study and some who do not; some who practice and some who do not; some who believe and some who do not. Irrespective, we come together in a deep interest in our hobbies and a love for what we do technologically and of personal curiosity and self-interest.

Speaking entirely for myself, as others are fully capable of speaking for themselves, your sudden post of this nature in a sub-forum you do not frequent, or never participate, is neither appropriate nor welcome. I realize this particular thread is simply tagged "OFF-TOPIC" but the mere fact it exists in a sub-forum disparate from all others should be an indicator that perhaps you missed. One "rule" of the Internet is "lurk more" and doing so you would have learned very quickly about how we feel about certain topics, politics in particular being so charged, mixed into our hobby and I am certain you would have refrained from your post or perhaps relegated it to a blog post.

If you came to join in our regular discussions and take an interest in the TI-99/4A and related systems then I welcome you and I am certain others will, as well, and hope we can mutually benefit: you from the wealth of knowledge and inspiration contained within, us from a fresh perspective, inquisitiveness, knowledge, and experience, and all from the comradery which develops as a result and that which naturally follows.

If your post was "accidental" then I hope you will in the future avoid similar trespasses here and to other forums or sub-forums in which you are not a regular. If you came here to lob a shit bomb into our group then I warn you and any who might follow that such behavior and disruptions to order will not be tolerated and moderators will be swiftly involved.

• Like 5

One of the nice things about Atari Age is that politics has been separate from the enjoyment of our hobby. Please, no matter who one is for or against, please don't bring it here.

Yes, please refrain from discussing politics and religion here. It never ends well. If that's your thing, there are tons of other places on the internet that specialize in such discussion. This will be the only warning I post in this thread.

..Al

• Like 4

Yes, please refrain from discussing politics and religion here. It never ends well. If that's your thing, there are tons of other places on the internet that specialize in such discussion. This will be the only warning I post in this thread.

I'm curious to see where you draw the lines before you start deleting postings.

Religion, political elections? Agreed, out.

Ethics?

Implications of political decisions for the computing world?

History?

Philosophy? When it's related to artificial intelligence, maybe?

Not that easy.

True, but I think the reference is to the type of discussions that really have the potential to drop down the toilet fast, Michael. We as a group are pretty good at staying out of the swamps, but topics that have us standing at the edge of the swamp and casting lines out into the muck to see what we pull back in are probably the best places to stay away from. Tasteful discussion is always fine, especially when it leads us back to a neat hobby idea. Incendiary topics--not so much. :)

• Like 1

Yeah--they can be really scary objects--especially for those of you who have cell phones and keep them in your front pants pocket. . .another good reason not to have a cell phone at all :) (and I don't carry one as a general rule)

I thought you did not carry a cell phone because of the electronic leash aspect ;)

The arguably most scary thing is that sometimes I don't notice for days that my smartphone's turned itself off due to low battery. For some strange reason I never caught interest in taking part in mobile communication and computing. My phone is for calling up people, and I have a tablet for my train travels. Apart from that, I have my desktop PCs. Greetings from the medieval ages!

• Like 1