IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6DSu3IfRlo

The thinking of futurists is sometimes

limited by the current state of the technology at the time.

They had the general idea, but the component density eluded them. All that

stuff is in one mobile device that we carry it in our pockets.

I cannot begin to fathom what it will be like in 20 years... Perhaps that smartphone in my pocket will look as quaint as the equipment shown here :)

You'll probably have something the size of a small pebble that you wear as a decoration--one that knows everything you like, carries your complete library of books (and videos) and has a projector to give you a holographic representation of them to read from (watch). It probably also provides all of that data to you through a direct-brain interface so that no one else knows what you are watching/reading/doing. It won't need much of a battery either, as your body heat will keep it powered most of the time. . .

Crystaline medium for non-volatile storage and control circuitry (in the future circuits will have a sort-of language, something like how we program FPGAs today, which will lend itself to both the type of circuitry of which we expect a board to be made as well as dense information storage,) electron spin storage for short- and medium-term (volatile) data storage -- this will eventually breed into a new storage method of using the level of an electron to indicate stored data as similar forces used to influence electron spin will also be able to induce a change in an electron's orbit.

Information will be stored contextually, in that the contents will not be explicit in what is present but rather inferred by what is missing, akin to how we eliminate green from analogue video signals but deduce its presence later (analogue RGB notwithstanding.)

Optical data transmission and reception within crystal circuits and for long hauls will also be inferred rather than explicit. Instead of using a light emitter and a light detector like we do with coherent light with fiber, the movement of electrons across a medium will produce energy which can be detected at distances, carried by both physical (crystal, glass fiber, etc.) and non-physical (EM, sub-EM, dimensional, etc.) medium.

I suspect the ethereal bit-rates attainable will make technologies like molecular transportation viable, although I posit rather than actually transmitting a matter stream in an energy beam and reconstructing it on the other side, the matter will be disassembled, and the object destroyed, on one side and assembled using available matter at the receiving end, meaning every time you use the device you will a completely fresh copy of yourself. Hoooboy! The legal, moral, and ethical issues of cloning when the original object is not destroyed shall rise. That is unless we cannot figure out a way to not completely destroy the source object before being converted to data.

This will also open a whole new issue of civil liberties legal challenges as the use of sub-EM contextual data inference will likely allow interaction with our nervous system, and thus our brains. But, that really gets into the realm of science fiction, a place I dare not tread.

The rest of the above is real.

• Like 1

I grew up playing AD&D. I DM'ed a custom campaign that lasted little over a year. It was loosely based on Fred Saberhagen's Books of Lost Swords. I created D&D items based on all 12 swords of power. The climax to this campaign was a battle with Asmodeus and his pet. His pet was my invention. I named it Sinphaltimus. A phenetic play on Sin is false to us.

In another campaign not run by me, my character "Myrmidon BarSinister" was hit with a disintegrate spell against which I failed to save. This typically means instant irrevocable death of the character. Except for this magic item I had which granted me one predetermined wish (to survive my first unsurvivable death). The challenge was that it had a 1 percent chance to work. Due to this dire set of circumstances the DM allowed me to choose. Do I want the upper or lower? In other words, do I want to bet on rolling a 01 or a 99 to win. I went with the 01 and I rolled it. Myrmidon BarSinister became Myrmidon Exmortus.

I think it was somewhere around 2002 when I discovered the Church of the Subgenius. In so choosing a name with meaning, I chose Sin is false to us after death. Or better yet, Sinphaltimus Exmortus. And have since earned the title of Pope of the Poconos. Pope Sinphaltimus Exmortus. It's been my online moniker ever since, wherever possible, which is most non professional mediums. And as far as I can tell. I'm the only one. Go ahead, google it. :)

Now share something weird about yourself.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Septum is the vertical thing in the nose, right? Had to look it up in Wikipedia. The funny thing is that in English you have all these Latin names for body parts and illnesses, and in German they are almost all translated. You should have a much higher demand for Latin education than we do ... ;)

(We call it "Nasenscheidewand" ~ "nose separation wall", and by the way, the nostrils are "Nasenlöcher" ~ "nose holes").

• Like 1

Septum is the vertical thing in the nose, right? Had to look it up in Wikipedia. The funny thing is that in English you have all these Latin names for body parts and illnesses, and in German they are almost all translated. You should have a much higher demand for Latin education than we do ... ;)

(We call it "Nasenscheidewand" ~ "nose separation wall", and by the way, the nostrils are "Nasenlöcher" ~ "nose holes").

I understand that in medical school we (US) learn a lot of Latin for that very reason. I have wondered if this is rooted in the tradition of the Hippocratic Oath, as I understand Latin to have a following of the Greek language.

(For the record, my loss is not due to the common cause.)

I remember when I had some lessons at a scuba diving school in Australia you had to fill in those forms about medical issues. One of them was "hernia", and I actually could not make any sense of that, so I started asking the other guys there, and no one really knew how to explain that, so I said no, which turned out to be good. Later I found out that "hernia" is what we in German know as "(Leisten-)Bruch", where a "Bruch" is a "breakage" or "rupture" (brechen ~ break). Also, the peritoneum is called "Bauchfell" ... well .. "abdomen fur". So this may be another particular challenge when learning German. You're better off if you describe your problem instead of using the Latin term. ;)

• Like 1

Not really off-topic, but I am not certain where to post. I found these do-dads on Mouser and thought I would give them a try.

post-27864-0-04359500-1478740198_thumb.jpgpost-27864-0-55080200-1478740230_thumb.jpgpost-27864-0-35653000-1478740258_thumb.jpg

I plan to use these to replace the sockets on my cartridge boards so I can more easily swap out EPROMs. Any thoughts from the hardware gurus?

Looks like an interesting ZIF socket. The only potential problem I could see would be that the lever closest to the jumpers might impact them if you don't do something to move them out of the way. I have to bend a couple of them carefully to make sure they don't block things with the Aries sockets I use, so this forming of pins is pretty common.

It does not look like the pry-latches will impact any pins. The only concern I have with these is they have no "grip" on the pins of the inserted chip and the latches do not hold the chip in place, they are really just there to help eject it.

Time will tell, and they were inexpensive enough to try out.

OLD CS1, on 10 Nov 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

The only concern I have with these is they have no "grip" on the pins of the inserted chip and the latches do not hold the chip in place, they are really just there to help eject it.

Are they not a normal turned-pin socket, but with an eject mechanism?

• Like 1

Are they not a normal turned-pin socket, but with an eject mechanism?

Not certain what you mean. There is nothing spring-loaded inside the pin holes like on regular sockets. It seems to use the friction of the chip's pins pushing outward to hold it in place.

OLD CS1, on 10 Nov 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

Not certain what you mean. There is nothing spring-loaded inside the pin holes like on regular sockets. It seems to use the friction of the chip's pins pushing outward to hold it in place.

This looks like them: http://www.arieselec.com/products/data/12024-dip-collet-solder-tail-socket.htm. Datasheet suggests that the latches *should* lock the IC into place?