IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

FWIW, I just wanted to refer to the alternating success of the first 10 Star Trek movies, which has some parallels with the Windows releases, not to the Star Trek reboot.

However, Star Trek Nemesis broke that alternation (in my opinion), since it was one of the weak examples, whereas Insurrection in hindsight became better.

Anyone know of a good 5v to 9v DC/DC converter? Something small for a circuit board? I have an idea.

EDIT: Never mind. It seems 9V is not a normal output and ones that do are $13 each. I will go with a 12V, instead, and make some design changes.

That gave me a sensible chuckle. No, really, it just means I will use a different chip for the project (12v input instead of 9v input.)

So, my dearly-departed cat, Hermes. I put his cat tree up next to the living room window, over which we had vertical blinds. For whatever reason, one day he got it in his head that he could reach up to the top railing and wrap his paws around it. Then for whatever reason he decided he could push off the tree and hang from the railing.

Did not end well for him. Perfect "hold my beer" moment.

post-27864-0-31624500-1479178137_thumb.jpg

The tree, the window, Hermes on top and his little brother Nermal at the bottom.

• Like 2

So, what other hobbies do have/have you had that aren't computer related?

I was always fascinated by miniatures as a kid. Most notably, trains. There was a hobby shop down the street from me and the owner had a train set in the window that was to die for.

I never got in to trains, what lines did what for who where and when and all that... But I worked the tracks for many years as a structural steel painter.

So I decided I'd get in to model trains one year. I particularly liked N scale despite the horror show.

The more I created the more I loved it. The the reality of the horror show came in to play. Dust.

I couldn't keep up. It was ruining my trains and my tracks. So before it got too out of control and damaging, I decided to freeze it all in time and pack it up years ago for sometime in the future when I can set it up[ permanently in a relatively dust free environment and better be able to maintain it. (retirement anyone?).

I thought I'd share.

https://www.facebook.com/SExmortus/media_set?set=a.1370428992748.2053066.1592441926&type=3

34405_1370433672865_4627551_n.jpg?oh=647

60958_1370436112926_7492456_n.jpg?oh=f9e

13041422_10206024310838813_3386960124356

62928_1370429992773_3763272_n.jpg?oh=94a

61338_1370436832944_3625901_n.jpg?oh=35e

62928_1370429952772_3604056_n.jpg?oh=529

62928_1370429752767_4919967_n.jpg?oh=9ac

62253_1370429512761_3719238_n.jpg?oh=44f

Youtube killed the audio because there was some music that could barely be heard in the background.

• Like 2

That's pretty cool! Never was exposed to model trains much myself.

Other stuff I'm into is vintage audio (genrally for music playback), Vinyl records (have about 3Kish), Home theater, and Arcade games. I'm also very interested in RV's and Motorhomes but don't own one just yet. Probably won't be feasible till the house is paid off or I move somewhere that gives me the ability to store one on my property.

• Like 1

Awesome layout, Sinphaltimus!

I had trains and slot cars as a kid, and I always wanted to put cameras on them, so I love seeing the modern videos from people who did. ;)

As for today -- there are still non-computer hobbies? It's sad to note I don't really do anything anymore that isn't computer related.

• Like 1

No audio, though the base has what looks like a speaker cover (port holes.) I will be opening the base to see if maybe the audio has been disabled. It is a vehicle backup camera screen.

I also got a smaller one which is 3:4, but it does the grey-scale and scrolling bit with "retro" machine video.

I found one that works. 4.3", still 16:9, but it works. I will start looking for some larger ones, later.

attachicon.gifDSC01268.JPG

For a short time, Mad Catz made a really nice little monitor that I've had sitting on my portable TI for years (and my TI-PC (s-video) when I was using that as a laptop ;) ).

post-12959-0-28064800-1479414099_thumb.jpg

It takes in composite or S-Video and stereo audio, and works pretty well. Good sound out of it (and TWO headphone jacks, for co-op gamers ;) ). I've not seen very many of them over the years, but it's listed on the back as a Mad Catz 6080 Universal Display. I do see it on Amazon with a few used for $50 and up (it was around $100 new, 12 years ago)... https://www.amazon.com/MADCATZ-Universal-GameCube-Playstation-2-Xbox/dp/B0002EA85G/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=34cc0228038e73c5a2f3c08f55aa9f2e

• Like 2

Vorticon, on 19 Nov 2016 - 7:19 PM, said:

Been watching The Computer Programme and Making the Most Out of Your Micro on YouTube, 2 BBC shows from the early 80's and extremely well made. Really puts to shame anything we had here in the US around that time. Well worth watching.

Indeed, We even had program downloads over the TV during the programme at one time. Can't remember which micro it was for specifically, but you had a light-dependent resistor(?) in a little black suction cup that you stuck over the corner of the TV picture and plugged the cable into the micro tape(?) input and typed "load". They broadcast the programme with a flashing block in the corner of the picture that downloaded the program to the micro.

Indeed, We even had program downloads over the TV during the programme at one time. Can't remember which micro it was for specifically, but you had a light-dependent resistor(?) in a little black suction cup that you stuck over the corner of the TV picture and plugged the cable into the micro tape(?) input and typed "load". They broadcast the programme with a flashing block in the corner of the picture that downloaded the program to the micro.

It was for the BBC Micro. They simply broadcast to cassette tones and you had to record them off the TV speaker to a tape and load them up in your computer. A simple but brilliant way to engage the geeky viewers! Like I said, superior programs.