IGNORED

Upcoming myarcade handhelds, and possible mini console

negative1

On 8/31/2023 at 8:28 PM, Atariboy said:

I would think neither. Likely the arcade game Drag Race from Atari/Kee Games.

1106720402.jpg

Drag Race is both an apparently new and unreleased Atari 2600 game or prototype along with the original arcade version! 😎

Edited by TrekkiELO

It's a paddle, not a spinner. Just like the Atari 2600's paddle controllers, it's not free-spinning and has a limited range as seen by the previous video from a few weeks ago showcasing only the joystick controller. Hence why it's locked to the 2600 paddle games and a few arcade games. Other than being disappointed that it's apparently not supported by arcade Night Driver, it's not a surprise that it doesn't work here with Indy 500, Tempest, Super Bug, etc. A spinner or wheel that hits a physical stop as you're turning rather presents a problem in such games, lol.

As one that has been following this for the arcade side thanks to spotting Drag Race on the boxart, I'm still optimistic after watching this unveiling on YouTube. Much of what I was hoping to see make it out is present and accounted for in the arcade category, although I'd of loved to have seen even more rarities like Video Pinball. Hopefully some of the gaps in Atari's microprocessor era arcade lineup can be filled with the SD slot expandability.

Edited by Atariboy

Atari Game Station Pro 

Games

2600 (82)

3D Tic-Tac-Toe
Adventure
Adventure II
Air-Sea Battle
Aquaventure
Asteroids
Atari Video Cube
Basic Math
Basketball
Bowling
Boxing (Activision)
Breakout
Canyon Bomber
Centipede
Championship Soccer
Circus Atari
Combat
Combat Two
Crystal Castles
Dark Chambers
Demons to Diamonds
Desert Falcon
Dodge ‘Em
Double Dunk
Drag Race
Fast Eddie
Fatal Run
Flag Capture
Football
Frog Pond
Golf
Gravitar
Hangman
Haunted House
Home Run
Human Cannonball
Indy 500
Maze Craze
Millipede
Miniature Golf
Missile Command
MotoRodeo
Night Driver
Off the Wall
Outlaw
Pong (Video Olympics)
Quadrun
Radar Lock
Realsports Baseball
Realsports Basketball
Realsports Boxing
Realsports Football
Realsports Soccer
Realsports Tennis
Realsports Volleyball
Road Runner
Saboteur
Save Mary
Secret Quest
Sky Diver
Slot Racers
Solaris
Space Raid
Space War
Sprint Master
Steeplechase
Street Racer
Stunt Cycle
Submarine Commander
Super Baseball
Super Breakout
Super Football
Surround
Swordquest: Earthworld
Swordquest: Fireworld
Swordquest: Waterworld
Tempest
Video Checkers
Video Pinball
Warlords
Wizard
Yars’ Revenge

5200 (7)

Centipede
Frisky Tom
Meebzork
Millipede
Missile Command
Realsports Baseball
Realsports Basketball

7800 (10)

Alien Brigade
Asteroids
Basketbrawl
Centipede
Dark Chambers
Desert Falcon
Food Fight
Motorpsycho
Realsports Baseball
Scrapyard Dog

Arcade (39)

Alpha One
Asteroids
Asteroids Deluxe
Atari Baseball
Atari Football
Atari Soccer
Avalanche
Basketball
Canyon Bomber
Centipede
Cloud 9
Crystal Castles
Dominos
Drag Race
Fire Truck
Food Fight
Gravitar
I, Robot
Liberator
Lunar Battle
Lunar Lander
Major Havoc
Millipede
Missile Command
Monte Carlo
Night Driver
Pool Shark
Quantum
Red Baron
Runaway
Sky Diver
Sky Raider
Space Duel
Super Breakout
Super Bug
Tempest
Tournament Table
Ultra Tank
Warlords

Bonus

8 Eyes
Bad Street Brawler
Beast Ball
Brave Battle Saga
Burglar X
Canon: Legend of the New Gods
Cheese Chase
Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum
Diver Boy
Eliminator Boat Duel
Escape from Atlantis
Exploding Fist
Fancy World
Free Fall
Galaxy Gunners
Gorodki
Jim Power: The Lost Dimension in 3D
Lan Master
Lawn Mower
Little Lancelot
Lucky Boom
Maniac's Square
Mega 3D Noah's Ark
Mermaids of Atlantis
Metal Mech
Mighty Warriors
Motor City Patrol
Nightshade: Part I: The Claws of Sutekh
Noah's Ark
Ping Pong Masters 93
Pow 2
Power Punch II
Pyramids of Ra
Radical Rex
Snakki
Snowboard Championship
Stanley: The Search for Dr. Livingston
Steel Force
Street Racer
Sumo Slam
Super Hunchback
Switchblade
Sword of Sodan
Target: Renegade
The Fidgetts
The Gadget Twins
The Humans
The Immortal
The Mutant Virus
Thunderbolt
Thunderbolt II
Tinhead
Top Racer 2
Treasure Master
Viking Child
Water Margin
World Rally
World Trophy Soccer
Zany Golf
Zooming Secretary

😎

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Yeah, that is weird.  The console does take an SD card though.  Perhaps there will be a firmware update that will fix the issue.

Atariboy correctly diagnosed the "why?". It's not a firmware issue. Simply put, a paddle is not a spinner. There's basically three controller issues with this thing. First, there's no spinner for games that need a free spinning dial. Second, there's no gamepad for many of the Piko games. Third, there's no trackball for the trackball-based arcade games. So yeah, they definitely need to allow for alternative controllers or you'll have a miserable experience with a relatively high percentage of the included games. One could argue there's also a related fourth issue in that you're limited to two players with the included paddles and there are four player games.

There's also arguably a fifth, unrelated issue. There obviously aren't over 200 games in the game list (well under 200, actually). Either they're counting the compilation titles like Video Olympics as multiple games, or, to be generous (and unrealistic), there are plans for free games via the microSD card slot. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

There's basically three controller issues with this thing. First, there's no spinner for games that need a free spinning dial. Second, there's no gamepad for many of the Piko games. Third, there's no trackball for the trackball-based arcade games. So yeah, they definitely need to allow for alternative controllers or you'll have a miserable experience with a relatively high percentage of the included games. One could argue there's also a related fourth issue in that you're limited to two players with the included paddles and there are four player games.

Maybe My Arcade or some other company will make new controllers (spinner, gamepad & trackball) for the Atari Game Station Pro.  If not, then the original controllers could work via an adapter on the new console.

On 9/4/2023 at 8:58 PM, swlovinist said:

My order for the GameStation Plus has been backordered.    I wonder if this got pulled due to the upcoming Atari 2600+.    I go to the My Arcade website and it is no longer being promoted.  

I don't see the two products as the same market. What casual fan is going to get a 2600+?

Hell, like everyone here, I grew up with Atari, but I don't have my childhood 2600 or its games anymore. I'm not going to get a 2600+ and track down old cartridges.

The My Arcade seems like a decent option for casual fans as is, but with potential to add games. That's much more interesting to me at least.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ComputerSpaceFan said:

So GenXGrownup says many types of controllers should work on this thing ... I wonder if there's some way to get a steering wheel of some kind hooked up so I can play Night Driver the way it was meant to be played?

I would like to see exactly what works and what does not and how controllers are connected to this device.   

10 minutes ago, akator said:

Anyone have a current Amazon link for the Gamestation Pro?  The Amazon link I had bookmarked is no longer valid and I can't find it anywhere.

I hope the YouTube videos describing how games can be added didn't screw everything up...

I've got one Wish Listed for Canadian Amazon (giant link below) ...... I agree that I hope My Arcade haven't panicked about the SD card stuff and are going to change things.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BT36XWTS/?coliid=I2BDKKC5ENMFS5&colid=M44QK4SA7RDS&psc=0&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Well, looks like I will be getting one to review.   I dont know when.  Is it easy to add games via SD card slot?   Any tips?

There’s a video review of this on YouTube — I think you just need to make folders with ROMs and the machine will switch to a different mode, one that scans the directories, when a card is inserted. 

• Like 1

I'm a little torn on this ... I have so much stuff like this already, but it is a large, almost definitive pile of software. It's cheap, and not hideous. But I don't need it. If I buy it, I doubt I'll use it much. But if I don't get it, I will miss out and it will be hard to find. 

If it turns up in Costco today for the $79 price quoted elsewhere, I'll probably get it. I'm the worst kind of collector, I only pick up retro compilations that don't accrue value.